E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The Catskills Mountains “Borscht Belt”: Here and Gone, Part I

07-31-2014, 12:17 PM   #67
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBoston View Post
Great post. I was born in Monticello in 1978, the product of the Borscht Belt. My parents worked for various hotels, including the Concord where my mom worked as a switchboard operator and my father worked in the kitchen. Later my mom and step dad met while they both worked at the Pines.

Sensing (or as a result) of the economic catastrophe besetting the industry there, we moved to Miami in 1988. I still have fond memories of disappearing into the woods with my friends though. Or hanging out with my grandfather at his job as a porter at the Pines Ski Chalet
Luis,

I've seen a lot of firsthand accounts about people living and working at the resorts, and everyone seems to have enjoyed the experience very much--including you!

As for The Pines, stay tuned: it will show up in Part II, iconic outdoor pool and all…

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #68
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
Great read and love the pictures!

Nick
Nick,

Given the length of these reports, I'm always a little afraid that no one will read them. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 01:02 PM   #69
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
angler,

Thanks!

Based on your user name, I suspect that you would really enjoy Beaver Kill, Willowemoc Creek, and Neversink River, among others in Sullivan County. The last of these is said to be the birthplace of fly fishing in the U.S. The Ontario & Western Railway used to stock these streams every year to encourage more visitors to the Catskills--and the New York Department of Environmental Conservation continues to do so.

Rick
As I was reading your journey those thoughts crossed my mind!
      01-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #70
Jim Deco
Registered
Rep
Drives: Rolls Kinardly

Kismet

Once upon a time.
The hills were alive with the sound of music...don't forget Klein's Hillside and Young's Gap in Parksville.
Thanks for the photos and the research.
Appreciate 0