E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 330i m sport Modifications ?

12-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
reidtastic
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

330i m sport Modifications ?

Hi i pick up my e90 330i M sport whenever the snow melts, and ive got about £3600 set aside for modifications, my aim is for it to look pretty subtle, track ready (a couple of sessions a year) and for it to remain comfortable for family use, a ive spent most of the money already on some items like:-

*BMW performance Brakes
*BMW performance Exhaust
*LED angel eyes to match the Xenons
*Rear spoiler
*Black front Grills
*Window Tints (about 30%)

Also the RFTs will be changed when worn, this is not included in the budget as ill just put this down to maintenance. This should leave me with roughly £1600 left for some chassis mods. I thought there was a fair bit roll from the BMW when i drove it, but ive read it was unwise to change the ARBs on the E90 even though the rear ARB is pretty puny, due to the rear end grip being drastically reduced. So i was thinking of some fixed dampers and springs eg bilstein B12s or specing my own kit using B8 dampers and eibach springs so it wasnt too low ?? and im probably pushing it at thinking ill get an LSD in there for that kind of budget.

Anyway thats what im thinking, any advice would be appreciated or if you think my money would be better spend else where let me know
Ta !

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Why didn't you use the 3600 to buy a 335 ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
r1chy
Rep
Drives: 320d

Get the performance brakes. They look really good and better performance.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 06:20 AM   #4
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Not sure I would say they were suitable for heavy track use........otherwise, yes, they're damn fine!
      12-05-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
reidtastic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Why didn't you use the 3600 to buy a 335 ?
A few reasons mate, im a regular car mag reader and evo magazine and another, cant remember if it was auto express ? both had turbo issues or wastegate seizures, so i wasnt too convinced by the reliablility. Also i wanted a manual saloon and they were like rocking horse sh1t (within a reasonable traveling distance). The ones that were in my budget with below 40K were also the higher TAX banding which i dont want to pay, also my last car had had a turbo strapped to it and i ended up spending about 10K on it so i didnt want to go down that sort of modifiying route again, the appeal of a big 3.0 L unstressed engine will ultimately be more reliable on the track too.

I did look in to a 335i but if i went down that route it would of ended up a monster, as im due a good few K back when i strip all the add ons from the current car.
for me the 335 would of ended up with a pile of Mods because it COULD be faster than my M3, where as the 330i will never be like that so i wouldnt modify so extensively

335i Mods (if i got One)

*Remap
*Full miltek 200 cell cats
*forge intercooler
*Oil cooler
*Intake

*LSD
*ARBs
*B16s
*Polly bushed with Rouge limiters
*BMW performance BBK

Dont get me wrong if i could of afforded a single turbo lower emissions 335i i probably would of bought one, and its defintootly an option for the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #6
reidtastic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Not sure I would say they were suitable for heavy track use........otherwise, yes, they're damn fine!
Obviously you have them mate, how do you find them compared to the standard set up ?

Knockhill is pretty hard on brakes other than that it would just be the ring so that shouldnt be to bad ! Im not the smothest or best driver so i am pretty hard on brakes. Im sure getting rid of the standard sinterd BMW Performance pads and upgrading to a track pad (pagid Blues) and some RBF 600 will provide more than enough resistance too fade, also you never know the future might bring some aftermarket 2 piece rotors.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidtastic View Post
Obviously you have them mate, how do you find them compared to the standard set up ?

Knockhill is pretty hard on brakes other than that it would just be the ring so that shouldnt be to bad ! Im not the smothest or best driver so i am pretty hard on brakes. Im sure getting rid of the standard sinterd BMW Performance pads and upgrading to a track pad (pagid Blues) and some RBF 600 will provide more than enough resistance too fade, also you never know the future might bring some aftermarket 2 piece rotors.
Sounds like a plan.
Ditch the other cosmetic mods and the exhaust and buy an LSD.
The single best mod if you get on track with it, speaking from experience
Dont discount the ARBs though, its a big job but with the subframe dropped for diff work you would be mad not to do it.
I have H&R and other mods, and it shifts the balance rearward which is nice on track.

Steve
      12-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
reidtastic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Whats the price for the LSD fitted on the E90, 92 just a rough price is fine,
TBH the budget will probably be out the window just like on the rest of the cars ive owned.

I was also wondering if any of you guys have had a fiddle with diff ratios for better acceleration ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Yahoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i e91 LCI msport

Pre 2007 build aprox £1500, otherwise aprox £2k IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
Hi i pick up my e90 330i M sport whenever the snow melts, and ive got about £3600 set aside for modifications, my aim is for it to look pretty subtle, track ready (a couple of sessions a year) and for it to remain comfortable for family use, a ive spent most of the money already on some items like:-

*BMW performance Brakes
*BMW performance Exhaust
*Rear spoiler
*Black front Grills

Also the RFTs will be changed when worn, this is not included in the budget as ill just put this down to maintenance. This should leave me with roughly £1600 left for some chassis mods. I thought there was a fair bit roll from the BMW when i drove it, but ive read it was unwise to change the ARBs on the E90 even though the rear ARB is pretty puny, due to the rear end grip being drastically reduced. So i was thinking of some fixed dampers and springs eg bilstein B12s or specing my own kit using B8 dampers and eibach springs so it wasnt too low ?? and im probably pushing it at thinking ill get an LSD in there for that kind of budget.

Anyway thats what im thinking, any advice would be appreciated or if you think my money would be better spend else where let me know
Ta !

perf suspension is good value for money and i have an eibach uprated front arb if you are interetsed at £100 delivered.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Whats the price for the LSD fitted on the E90, 92 just a rough price is fine,
TBH the budget will probably be out the window just like on the rest of the cars ive owned.

I was also wondering if any of you guys have had a fiddle with diff ratios for better acceleration ?
There are lots of disadvantages to upping the rear ratio.
Computer data meaningless, including consumption.
Speed data incorrect, and higher cruising consumption to name a few.
Not really worth it unless chasing 1/4 mile times IMO.
      12-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
nicko44
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport Manual

Quote:

*BMW performance Brakes
*BMW performance Exhaust
*Rear spoiler
*Black front Grills

So far as performance is concerned you might want to consider an Evolve remap (for about £449 I think). I know that this forum is generally rather dismissive of remaps on NA engines, probably because they are of course not nearly as cost effective as turbo engine remaps. However I found the remap on my E92 330i (N52 268BHP engine) was very worthwhile. About an extra 13 BHP plus some useful extra torque made the car feel a lot more responsive and brought the 0-100 time down to the upper 13 seconds level (neck and neck in fact with my daughter's E91 335d).
But if you like the sound and character of the 330i engine, then the best thing about the remap was the extra howl that comes at higher revs and deeper rumble at idle. After the remap my car would really change character at 5000rpm and become aggressively serious in the way that it kept piling on the power in a really linear way right up to 7000rpm. My current 335i is of course faster, but it is not really interested in anything much about 6000rpm, and I still miss the linearity of the NA 330i engine.

Just something to think about. I reckon that if you do the performance exhaust as well as the remap, you will pushing out at least 290 bhp, which will give you quite respectable performance bearing in mind the 330i engine is a real lightweight, and I think comes with lower gear ratios.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #13
reidtastic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko44 View Post
So far as performance is concerned you might want to consider an Evolve remap (for about £449 I think). I know that this forum is generally rather dismissive of remaps on NA engines, probably because they are of course not nearly as cost effective as turbo engine remaps. However I found the remap on my E92 330i (N52 268BHP engine) was very worthwhile. About an extra 13 BHP plus some useful extra torque made the car feel a lot more responsive and brought the 0-100 time down to the upper 13 seconds level (neck and neck in fact with my daughter's E91 335d).
But if you like the sound and character of the 330i engine, then the best thing about the remap was the extra howl that comes at higher revs and deeper rumble at idle. After the remap my car would really change character at 5000rpm and become aggressively serious in the way that it kept piling on the power in a really linear way right up to 7000rpm. My current 335i is of course faster, but it is not really interested in anything much about 6000rpm, and I still miss the linearity of the NA 330i engine.

Just something to think about. I reckon that if you do the performance exhaust as well as the remap, you will pushing out at least 290 bhp, which will give you quite respectable performance bearing in mind the 330i engine is a real lightweight, and I think comes with lower gear ratios.

^^^^^^^
Cheers, nick yea like you said, i myself, also dismissed the remap on the 330i as like you said they very rarely see decent results on an N/A engine and i feel mappers of N/A engines seem to focus on throttle position/response mapping to make it feel faster, but if it makes this sort of power its maybe worth a shout with the exhaust, although this will depend on what they mean by "exhaust" eg full system will probably mean ££££s (a bit out of budget) and i was just really wanting one for the extra noise.

Ive decided to go for the full works at birds engineering ! although ill be supplying my own suspension kit as i feel i could save a bit of money there !
so thats M3 axle bushes, rear ARB, Quaife, and a build my own Bilstein kit.

maybe a charger in a year or so once they are available for the E90 in the uk !

how do they compare 330i and 335i, i take it there is a lot in it, could you happily of lived with the 330i or is there no going back once you have had ago of a 335i ?

Im just thinking the 330 i is a nice big unstressed 3.0l which would be great for full bore reliable driving ?

has anyone got any 1/4 mile times 0-60 times from the 330i and 335i (not manufacturer stated) from timing gear.

the weather here is horrible ! i bought the car 3 weeks ago now and ive still not picked it up ! ill need to wait a while to give it a proper drive and get some timing gear hooked up,
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Standard 335i 13.6-13.7 @ 103-105mph

Stadard 330i. 14.3-14.5@ 97-98mph
      12-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #15
reidtastic
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Standard 335i 13.6-13.7 @ 103-105mph

Stadard 330i. 14.3-14.5@ 97-98mph

Cheers, thats not too bad i thought it would of been a bit slower,

I believe the 0-60 on the 330 is 6.1 and the 335 is 5.5 ? although evo magazine managed 5.1 with the 335i with the racelogic, so i might get a 5.9 with the 330 if this is the case ?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #16
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Think the evo car was a press car, circa 330-340HP not 306-310HP.

If you have perfect conditions and also your a fantastic launcher I think you will be very close to 6.0!!
      12-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Also don't waste ya time with timing gear on the road. Get down to a proper drag strip with FIA timing gear and compare with everyone in the world who has also!!