E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Sheepskin Chamois...techniques? (and are these things obsolete??)

05-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i Coupe

Sheepskin Chamois...techniques? (and are these things obsolete??)

I was at Costco the other day and saw a nice big, all natural sheepskin chamois for $12. Decided to give it a shot.

After raining all afternoon, I pulled the gar into the garage and started to wipe her down with the sheepskin. Totally different than any other chamois/microfiber I've used. It seems to really STICK to the car body and DRAG. Not super-absorbent, but I discovered that, after giving giving the car a quick wipe-down with a microfiber, the sheepskin totally picked up all the excess and left a smooth finish.

Anyway, this thing is totally new to me and a Google search doesn't turn up anything useful in terms of technique/usefulness/methods, etc.

Any input from you guys on these topics? One thing I found annoying was that particles of the sheep fluffed onto my car! I'm also not sure whether to use the soft underbelly of the chamois or the slightly coarser outside...?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
ibimmer954
Major
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 M50, '15 M3, '18 911

Garage List
Quick! Throw that thing away before you do more damage! Any method involving the words "stick" and "drag" cannot be a good thing. What you want is as little pressure as possible.

I used to use one of those sheepskin things for my black Acura. And looking back on it, I realize the paint on that car was trashed. I've become enlightened since then. Microfiber only. Little pressure as possible.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Did you wipe down your car after it rained without actually washing it?

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
+1 your paint is kind of f'ed now...you just rubbed around all the dirt that was left on the surface
      05-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #5
mvillezcas
BMW SD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E92

Yeah, use these from now on.
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...00/36-x-24-S1/
http://www.detailersdomain.com/uber-...towelblue.aspx
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Listen to mvillezcas ^. I've used both of those and they are both great.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Yes, but the car had been fully washed the previous day so the surface was clean. I appreciate this, though - I'll make sure not to do it under any other circumstances!

As for microfibre, I've already got a few towels etc. Are there any real differences between the different manufacturers' products? I mean, is it worth me going out and getting "better" microfibre? The stuff I got at Canadian Tire was already quite expensive - can't remember the name.

And I'm not sure if "drag" necessarily = "bad". People were using sheepskin chamois(es) for decades before microfibre came around. They probably just knew how to use them properly.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debaser View Post
As for microfibre, I've already got a few towels etc. Are there any real differences between the different manufacturers' products? I mean, is it worth me going out and getting "better" microfibre? The stuff I got at Canadian Tire was already quite expensive - can't remember the name.
Yes, there is a BIG difference. The quality of a microfiber that you get at, say, an Autozone, is going to be vastly different than one you get from Detailed Image or Detailer's Domain. Obviously, different microfibers serve different purposes (drying, waxing, general cleaning, glass, interior, etc) but a good general guideline to tell if a microfiber towel is decent is to look at the grams per square meter. Some will say that anything below 300 is not good quality. Others here may have varying opinions.

Personally, I like these: http://www.detailersdomain.com/thene...lushtowel.aspx (they weigh in at 700 grams per square meter).
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Chamois were used for years based upon their absorbancy more so that it's lack of abrasion, especially on a car with any possibility of dirt. Microfiber is absolutely the best way to go. I agree that the quality can vary a great deal. I suggest detailedimage.com as a great source. The waffle weave towel is great for drying the car after a wash. Buy a few good towels and take good care of them and they will serve you very well. I buy a bundle of the yellow microfiber towels from costco for utility type work but detailing I stick with the higher quality stuff. Also the microfiber detergent is great for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2010, 01:09 AM   #10
Debaser
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks, guys!
Appreciate 0