E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Passive Crossovers in Basic Stereo location?

09-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
gunman168
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW e90 320i

Talking Passive Crossovers in Basic Stereo location?

I have a 2006 e90 with basic stereo (no tweeters, only 4" full range in front & rear + mid woofer underseats). I have read somewhere that the front door fullrange passes through a passive crossover somewhere. Where are these passive crossovers located? I plan on using an external amp (with after market speakers) but I am deciding if I would use the default wirings for the speakers or re-wire a new one? I initially want to use orig speaker wires layout specially in front so the wires wont show up at the sides of the doors as opposed to laying new wires for them but the problem here is if default wires pass through a passive xo then this would affect quality as I will be using separates which has their own xo's and an MS-8 which has active xo.

So is it really true that basic stereos have passive xo's for the fronts? And where are they located so maybe I could bypass them.

Anyone?

Thank you for the support guys!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

So you are in Ca with a Euro Car?

There were no 320's issued in the US and US 06 E90's came with Hi Fi as the lowest level stereo was Hi Fi and it had tweeters. Is Ca the contraction for some other country?
If its a Hi Fi there are some component inline on the tweeter wire
that's it as far as I know.
The no amp base system has eq from the head unit . People recode the head unit to flatten the output when adding aftermarket amps or use a flattening device. The ms-8 will do that to but some have reported it works better with a recode to flat outputs .

Last edited by ctuna; 09-30-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
gunman168
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
There were no 320's issued in the US and US 06 E90's came with Hi Fi as the lowest level stereo was Hi Fi and it had tweeters. Is Ca the contraction for some other country?
If its a Hi Fi there are some component inline on the tweeter wire
that's it as far as I know.
The no amp base system has eq from the head unit . People recode the head unit to flatten the output when adding aftermarket amps or use a flattening device. The ms-8 will do that to but some have reported it works better with a recode to flat outputs .
The car is a euro version with base stereo.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Crossover is allegedly part of the oem woofer housing. Check sticky for a link to a few wiring harness options.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
gunman168
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Crossover is allegedly part of the oem woofer housing. Check sticky for a link to a few wiring harness options.
The diagrams on http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949 does not show exact crossoever placements on basic stereo. Btw, basic stereo does not have an amp.

Correct me if I am wrong but I hear that the xo's are for the front door fullrange and not for the woofer underseats? The underseats are driven without xo's as I have read somewhere.

Anybody know if the front 4" speakers do really have passive crossovers on the basic stereo e90? And where are they located so I can take them off when installating my setup as the MS-8 already has actives and my front separates has its own passives.

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #6
gunman168
Enlisted Member
Rep

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
A full range signal goes from the OEM HU to the Woofer Housing. From there, the signal is high-passed to the front doors. From what I understand there is probably a capacitor on the actual 6.5" woofer frame, to HP the signal to the doors.

FWIW I have (had) base stereo.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep

You need to look at this thread:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...27&postcount=3

and this wiring harness:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=634957
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman168 View Post
I have a 2006 e90 with basic stereo (no tweeters, only 4" full range in front & rear + mid woofer underseats). I have read somewhere that the front door fullrange passes through a passive crossover somewhere. Where are these passive crossovers located? I plan on using an external amp (with after market speakers) but I am deciding if I would use the default wirings for the speakers or re-wire a new one? I initially want to use orig speaker wires layout specially in front so the wires wont show up at the sides of the doors as opposed to laying new wires for them but the problem here is if default wires pass through a passive xo then this would affect quality as I will be using separates which has their own xo's and an MS-8 which has active xo.

So is it really true that basic stereos have passive xo's for the fronts? And where are they located so maybe I could bypass them.

Anyone?

Thank you for the support guys!
There are no crossovers in the Stereo (6-speaker) system.

If non-iDrive then the mid in the door has a capacitor in its frame, which in turn is connected in parallel with the underseat woofer. The capacitor is to keep the total impedance of the front outputs of the OEM HU at 4ohms. The OEM HU outputs are not stable at 2ohms.

If iDrive then there is no capacitor in the mid. The iDrive unit outputs are stable at 2ohms.

Please search for more details. This has been discussed several times before.
Appreciate 0