E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 3 Buzzes after shutoff, not normal water cooling ect..

08-04-2008, 02:30 AM   #1
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

3 Buzzes after shutoff, not normal water cooling ect..

Hey guys,

I have an noise that comes on after i shut off the car but it is not consistant and was wondering if anyone could help me identify it. Sometimes it occurs and other times it doesnt. Its not a water pump or whatever trying to cool down the turbos. The best way i can describe it is 3 distinct buzzing noises about 1/2 second each. I have only noticed this noise after installing V3 and running the regular v3 low/high boost stg 1 maps and the beta v3 stg 1 maps. This maybe a totaly independent issue but was wondering if someone could confirm this same noise who is running without a tune.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

I was wondering wtf that sound was as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #3
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i Coupe

i have the same sound...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 10:54 AM   #4
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

any updates?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Are you absolutely sure it has nothing to do with the car's computers and/or cool-down after shutting it down? I know my 335i does some weird things after I turn it off. I would say if you're sure, then remove v3 (it's PnP after all ) and drive around for a couple days to see if the noise still occurs.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #6
tintivilus
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
2003 325i  [0.00]
Is it from under the hood or in the cabin? The auto climate control system will adjust flaps (servo motors) after shutoff depending on what it was doing while the engine was running. It's a symptom of the crazy complexity of the BMW system.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea crazy.. I cant tell what it is still . Sometimes the 3 buzzes go off only once, other times it goes off 2-4 times but seemingly always in groups of 3. The sound i believe is from under the hood. I can hear it better when the door is opened or the windows are down.. One of those mysteries that may never be solved...

As for removing v3.. im lazy . I think ill wait till i have to bring the car in for service before taking it out, listen for noises, then put things back in.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsapphire7 View Post
Yea crazy.. I cant tell what it is still . Sometimes the 3 buzzes go off only once, other times it goes off 2-4 times but seemingly always in groups of 3. The sound i believe is from under the hood. I can hear it better when the door is opened or the windows are down.. One of those mysteries that may never be solved...

As for removing v3.. im lazy . I think ill wait till i have to bring the car in for service before taking it out, listen for noises, then put things back in.
One hint in regards to v3...if the car is driving well and there are no CELs, it's not the v3 or anything to do with v3 that's causing the buzzing sounds after shut off.

I would be willing to bet you that it's just "normal" operation of whatever the car is doing (on its own) after shut off. Like someone else said...the computers and complexity of BMW electronics is just crazy.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Bullitt 2496
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

i'm not so sure it's "normal." What used to happen is that when you shut it off, you'd hear fans cycling... now you just hear like an electrical short noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Dougie335
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

I have the same sound. I have not counted how many times it occurs but could be over a dozen as it just keeps going with the two second bursts. It only seems to happen when the car is unlocked i.e. when I wash it. Its not the washing that produces it but its the only time I'm around the car for a length of time. I had a 335i same model as I have just now November 2007 and it did not make the sound. The car I have now is a 335i May 2008 with Progman 29 and MDS 81. The car is totally stock. Also did not happen when I had V2 fitted to my old car. The only thing I worry about is battery drain if I leave the car un-locked for any length of time.

PS it sound like it could be the high pressure fuel pump keeping the pressure up. Maybe I could be wrong.

Dougie.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
aab3218
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

This sound is related to a tune. If the ECU loses signal while the car is awake you will get these beeps and I think corresponding hidden codes. You can try to unplug your tuner with the newer ECU software while it is awake and you will hear it to test. It is some sort of relay for something. I would try to recreate with no tuner it may be a wiring issue you need to fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I forgot to meantion, i first noticed it when i shut off the car while in the middle of datalogging. It happens when im not connected now so I was thinking its an independent issue. There is one last possibility which can be the clear relay box on the V3. When i recieved mine it had some wires disconnected and i replugged them back in. It could be possible that one has come loose or i inserted them back in incorrectly but shouldnt that result in a CEL? I havn't had any problems with any lights or limp modes at all however.

After searching, Tobais is the one with the issue with the cable relay. Im not sure how he solved it but i actualyl just followed the picture and plugged my wires back in accordingly. Can anyone post up pictures of the clear relay box and the wires that come out from it so i can check to see if they have been plugged in correctly?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 03:44 PM   #13
Dougie335
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

Its nothing to do with having a tune fitted. My car is totally stock with no tune fitted and it does it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #14
rideelement247
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i, 67 Camaro SS

I get that 3 almost "squirting" like noises coming from sort of the front driver's side brake are that isn't the water pump sound. Was moving the car back to stock in anticipation for service and drove it in and out of the driveway for like 5 seconds total and it sounded like it was misting or squirting something somewhere near the brakes.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
I forgot to meantion, i first noticed it when i shut off the car while in the middle of datalogging. It happens when im not connected now so I was thinking its an independent issue. There is one last possibility which can be the clear relay box on the V3. When i recieved mine it had some wires disconnected and i replugged them back in. It could be possible that one has come loose or i inserted them back in incorrectly but shouldnt that result in a CEL? I havn't had any problems with any lights or limp modes at all however.

After searching, Tobais is the one with the issue with the cable relay. Im not sure how he solved it but i actualyl just followed the picture and plugged my wires back in accordingly. Can anyone post up pictures of the clear relay box and the wires that come out from it so i can check to see if they have been plugged in correctly?

Thanks!
If the wires weren't plugged into the relay correctly, you're car wouldn't run properly and you would throw a code. As for the noise, it's hard to determine without hearing it. But plugging in the bypass plugs would remove the PROcede from the question easily. However, I doubt it is related as all these cars tend to make various clicks, buzzes and hums after shutdown. I think ears just get a bit more sensitive once people start tuning their cars

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yes i highly doubt this has anything to do with the v3 . Its been working flawlessly since day one! the sound seems to come from the left side of the car as well. I think ill keep my camera handy and start to take some videos to see if i can record that sound after i shut off the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #17
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If the wires weren't plugged into the relay correctly, you're car wouldn't run properly and you would throw a code. As for the noise, it's hard to determine without hearing it. But plugging in the bypass plugs would remove the PROcede from the question easily. However, I doubt it is related as all these cars tend to make various clicks, buzzes and hums after shutdown. I think ears just get a bit more sensitive once people start tuning their cars

Shiv
+1, It probably has nothing to do with the PROcede
      08-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #18
mywave
Private
Rep
Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie335 View Post
Its nothing to do with having a tune fitted. My car is totally stock with no tune fitted and it does it.
Same here, bone stock and similar sounds...I always assumed it was the comfort access system.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #19
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I dont have CA..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep

getting bored at work... so i thought id update a little ! So i took my car in for service a couple of weeks ago for warranty work and so i removed the v3. Since then i have not noticed this buzzing noise or anything remotely close to it after i shut off the car. I believe that someone mentioned that the buzzing noises are made when the ecu has been removed or there is a disconnect somewhere. I think I may have found the problem but am not sure yet because I will have to reinstall and drive the car around for a while.

When removing the v3, i noticed that the electrical tape i used to secure the power clip from the harness to the OEM had fallen off and the crimp was bent a bit. My only guess is that there could have been a loose connection to the proceed unit for power causing this buzzing noise. Ill probably wait a week or so before reinstalling the unit to see if i can hear the noise again while fully stock. Before reinstalling ill go through all the crimps in the harness ( relay and the power) to make sure everything is secure and tight as they ought to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #21
ala012
Koala012
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Dakar Yellow

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
getting bored at work... so i thought id update a little ! So i took my car in for service a couple of weeks ago for warranty work and so i removed the v3. Since then i have not noticed this buzzing noise or anything remotely close to it after i shut off the car. I believe that someone mentioned that the buzzing noises are made when the ecu has been removed or there is a disconnect somewhere. I think I may have found the problem but am not sure yet because I will have to reinstall and drive the car around for a while.

When removing the v3, i noticed that the electrical tape i used to secure the power clip from the harness to the OEM had fallen off and the crimp was bent a bit. My only guess is that there could have been a loose connection to the proceed unit for power causing this buzzing noise. Ill probably wait a week or so before reinstalling the unit to see if i can hear the noise again while fully stock. Before reinstalling ill go through all the crimps in the harness ( relay and the power) to make sure everything is secure and tight as they ought to be.

I could hear Buzzing sound since first day I purchased 335i.

It is completely normal sound. It can be water pump on and off sound.

It may be electrical stuff shutting off completely.
      10-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #22
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

electric pump that cools turbos after shutdown - totally normal (hence the reason u dont have to sit for 5min and let the car run down) - even though u should for a bit after hard runs anyway
Appreciate 0