E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My GIAC experience, Stock/Procede/GIAC dyno's

08-21-2010, 12:19 AM   #45
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Nice review.

In GIAC I trust.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #46
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrulz View Post

There's no need to attack his driving skills. You shouldn't assume his skill set.

This thread should just be taken as is. The guy likes GIAC more than his Procede. Good for him.

Great gains OP!
+1, specially when he explained the reasoning for his decision that do make sense based on his daily drive requirements and expectations.

Amazes me how some members on this forum get nasty towards some one who took time to provide his feedback and experience. Really helps to "promote" for others to post in Turbo / FI Engine and 335i -335d Tuning / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications their experience and point of view if they decide on GIAC, CP-e, DINAN, JB or some other tunes vs Procede....

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:50 AM   #47
oner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you ask me, by looking at the Dynos the PROcede power curves are indeed smoother than the GIAC.

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #48
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarus View Post
Amazes me how some members on this forum get nasty towards some one who took time to provide his feedback and experience.
You expect anything different on e90post? I sure don't and never will.

I also thought the OP did a great job posting his results and opinions on his decision. Great data/info for the forum.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #49
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekis18 View Post
Well nobody sked you + you don't have the GIAC..he does, and also the Procede. To his type of driving the GIAC felt better. He was very clear stating his reasons, that he had no other mods and that he didn't have the latest autotuning. I highly doubt he is getting a kickback from GIAC or that he is trying to rip on the procede or any other tunes... you in the other hand are terrorizing this thread with 6 posts already... so please please get off shiv's D, be glad that he posted dyno charts and let him express his opinion
Haha what? A little defensive for nobody attacking anyone let alone attacking you..this is a forum what do you mean 'nobody asked you'??

Anyways..I would love if the OP tried the new autotune out and then let us know what he thinks..that'd be great for the consumer
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 02:35 AM   #50
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin@Vishnu View Post
Looks like you needed to retune your right foot, not your engine
I would say this is an example of how some companies tell customers to adapt to their products instead of making their products in accordance to customer's needs.

The N54 was all about a flat torque curve from low to high RPM. A good tuner should keep that same flat curve just at a higher level on the chart.

Just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #51
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Thanks for the dyno chart, OP.
Any reason why the Procede comes down after 4500 rpm? It holds strong until that point, and then the lbs tq goes lower than the GIAC. Same thing from when the sniffer starts reading at 2k rpm, it's lower until 2500 rpm.
Shiv, was this what you fixed in the last few maps?

Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 02:52 AM   #52
ekis18
Rippin' n Tearin'!
Panama
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by supracg View Post
Haha what? A little defensive for nobody attacking anyone let alone attacking you..this is a forum what do you mean 'nobody asked you'??

Anyways..I would love if the OP tried the new autotune out and then let us know what he thinks..that'd be great for the consumer
Hahahah just read my post again and realized I went a little over the top so I deleted it...I guess I was just having a bad day and also got tired of seen the same profile pic 6 times (which I hate for no reason) ...for what is worth, I apologize
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #53
supracg
Banned
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekis18 View Post
Hahahah just read my post again and realized I went a little over the top so I deleted it...I guess I was just having a bad day and also got tired of seen the same profile pic 6 times (which I hate for no reason) ...for what is worth, I apologize
Haha
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #54
addicted2drums
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

great review. i am looking forward to seeing the gains from stg 2.
      08-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #55
Gtrain
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: something slowwwww

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
Thanks for the dyno chart, OP.
Any reason why the Procede comes down after 4500 rpm? It holds strong until that point, and then the lbs tq goes lower than the GIAC. Same thing from when the sniffer starts reading at 2k rpm, it's lower until 2500 rpm.
Shiv, was this what you fixed in the last few maps?

If I remember correctly it's due to the older map not having the power adjusted for the whole band which is not the case in the newer maps.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #56
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I use JB3, have a procede, and I like the idea of GIAC

If I need to go to the dealer in an emergency....Flash will CYA ..Bottom line.

If someone looks in the E box, they will find your tune! Unless its a flash.

I would sacrifice say 2-3lbs of boost for that piece of mind. ( I dont track my car)

say if I could only push 14-15psi with GIAC instead of the 17,18,19 with JB3 or procede and a clean E box than sign me up. JB3 has been performing outstandingly with 2.0 7/4 update. Smoothness is adjustable now with pedal mapping, throttle adjustments, and lag fix adjustments as well.

Plugging and unplugging your DME risks bending or breaking pins, loosening wires, wearing away the connectors... flashes definitely have a value set not offered by piggybacks but also add an inconvenience of having to reflash after updates... Also, harnesses are a link in the chain of data transmission that can fail. The best software, installer, and driver can all get together and if your harness has a short then your car will stumble, code, and in some cases not start at all. I notice that when I take my JB3 out and start my car it seems to crank a bit faster and idle very smoothly. I took some time to make sure that all my connectors were clean and shiny before my reinstall and now I cant tell the difference anymore.

I say, if you are clumsy or heavy handed or just have bad luck with electronics than a flash tune is appealing for you.

If you like to work on your car a little, the install and removal is very manageable for a piggyback like procede...
      08-21-2010, 10:01 AM   #57
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Wow some good and bad feedback....

I can drive, drivability is something i value, the GIAC gives me the same feeling as the stock powerband but just much stronger. Go for a ride in a GIAC car and you will see what i mean.

I realize if you don't hit the gas real hard the wheels won't spin (Duh).

I've driven a car with both tunes, how many people on here that are responding to this thread have?

I'm just trying to give a opinion of my experience....people need to relax.

Like i said, the procede is a great product that produces awesome power, the other factors like install and the risk of messing with the DME turned me away. Simple as that.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 11:01 AM   #58
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

GIAC does not throw codes, none, never - no need for BT scanner.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #59
canesr1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Metallic Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
GIAC does not throw codes, none, never - no need for BT scanner.
Can you take GIAC into dealer and them not find out???? or does it have to be removed for warranty purposes??

2007 E92 Metallic Black, Black interior, brushed aluminum, 6MT, Nav, 6FL, 20% ceramic tints, OEM Front Lip, Dinan Stage 2 Rev2, 19''s M6 Reps
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #60
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesr1 View Post
Can you take GIAC into dealer and them not find out???? or does it have to be removed for warranty purposes??
You always run a risk with every tune, if its just routine maintenance you should be fine. If its a big warranty failure like turbo's, wastegate, fuel pump, etc. you should flash the car back to stock. BMW can find it if they look for it.

Once the flash loader comes out you can flash it to a "stock like" map and this will help while taking the car in for maintenance. I'm getting the flashloader as soon as I get a chance to schedule another visit to AWE. From what they told me, it is available.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #61
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
You always run a risk with every tune, if its just routine maintenance you should be fine. If its a big warranty failure like turbo's, wastegate, fuel pump, etc. you should flash the car back to stock. BMW can find it if they look for it.

Once the flash loader comes out you can flash it to a "stock like" map and this will help while taking the car in for maintenance. I'm getting the flashloader as soon as I get a chance to schedule another visit to AWE. From what they told me, it is available.
The stock like map is just that - not stock, so if they can find the regular flash, the stock like flash will be just as apparent except when they drive it, it will feel like stock. As for finding it - none of the normal dealer stuff can tell the difference - I am sure if BMW is suspicious they will find it by analyzing the DME, but they are not going to do that unless they are suspicious and you are claiming an engine or trans or something. I just had mine over written when they redid the software with the fuel pump replacement and my tech said he couldn't tell it was flashed, of course it had no power as it was in limp, so a test drive wouldn't tip anyone off either. Always best to remove it if your worried, but after putting a piggyback in and out a few times, it is really easy to tell you have been in the ECU box no matter how careful you are, so that to me is much more risky if your worried about signs of tampering!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 08:35 PM   #62
BzzzBom
Major
Rep
Drives: 05 R53 MINI / 09 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post

How long has the flashloader been available?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 09:53 PM   #63
BobS
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzzzBom View Post
How long has the flashloader been available?
I'm not sure, I just inquired about it and they said it was available.

ESS 650 ACM-R Upgrades
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 08:36 AM   #64
SennaZ
been there... done that
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

According to GIAC, it's available now:
http://www.giacusa.com/flashloader_handheld.php
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 09:01 AM   #65
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaZ View Post
According to GIAC, it's available now:
http://www.giacusa.com/flashloader_handheld.php
It's been available for years for other vehicles, just not for E9x's. I was at my dealer 3 days ago to get reflashed and hoping I could get the switcher at the same time, but GIAC is still hedging on it, so don't get your hopes up yet!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #66
SennaZ
been there... done that
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
It's been available for years for other vehicles, just not for E9x's.
My mistake, thanks for the clarification.
Appreciate 0