E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Moving from SoCal to New England

08-21-2008, 03:17 PM   #23
NHSkibm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E30, F31, L434

Why all the snow hate... SNOW IS AWESOME...

A. Snow Tires are a MUST on a RWD BMW. Blizzaks (LM-22) or Hakkas are the way to go.
B. Steel Rims work just fine if you don't care about what they look like for 4 months. Otherwise hit up tire rack for some 17" non stag with snows...
C. Like anywhere if you are on bumpy roads you risk bends in your 19's with low pros. Just gotta learn the area. In the city, drive slow. Highways are fine.
D. Lowered car is the same anywhere to. Gotta watch out.

I ran an E36 328is on Billy's and H+R's with Mtech and 17's for the winter - no big deal.

Also after a storm and the roads dry wash your car. Pressure wash with attention to the undercarriage.

Also used to run an E46 with M-tech, 18's, on PSS9's. Just gotta watch out for dips. You can keep a car pristine if you are careful in bad places and wash it religiously.

Or get an E30 for the winter...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 03:36 PM   #24
NoKaOi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Ok, new question...when do you usually switch out to snow tires?

I just called TireRack and they said you can only run winter tires when it is below 40 degrees. So, how often is MA under 40 degrees, and for how many months of the year? The guy at TireRack also said all weather tires would be fine.

Since my car will be arriving in October, should I just swap out to my 17" stockies with all weather tires before I ship it, and then go back to 19" in the spring?

I'm sorry...I'm from Hawaii. Having to deal with seasonal changes is foreign to me.

Yes, I know, I could look this up, but I want real world opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #25
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
late december...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #26
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKaOi View Post
Ok - there is no single answer to this question.

Old expression:

I you don't like New England weather then stick around.
It will change.

Truer words were never spoken.

For the last 10 years or so, it *usually* started snowing around late December. Last year it started in late October / early November. I didn't even have time to finish clearing the leaves from my yard before they were covered in a foot of snow.

The spring thaw (usually starting in late March) is also difficult to predict within a month time frame. It often thaws completely then you get a foot of snow in early April.

The weather predictions are about 50% accurate within 3 days.
80% in about 3 hours.

On average it snows like hell once a week during Jan/Feb except for the arctic freeze period for about 2 weeks in February where your nose hair freezes solid when you go outside. It can also snow big time in Nov/Mar. This isn't a given either. One year it snowed 3 inches three time a week. That's actually worse. ( 3 inches and a foot yield about the same road results. The massive plows don't seem to mind. )

My advice for a RWD bimmer is to run 2 sets of rims and buy 2 hydraulic jacks. I did not do this and wish I had. When you get the report of the first snow you can swap out your own rims/tires in minutes and swap them back and forth during the unpredictable times. Running snows on dry pavement totally sucks but not running snows on a RWD bimmer during a Nor'easter is very bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nor'easter

My general rule is to start watching for snow storm reports after Thanksgiving.

It may take a winter for you to get used to the terror.
Don't worry - you'll get used to the feeling of impending death.
Just push through the white knuckle express.

I ran snows on my E36.
I drive an XI now. Had enough.

Oh - and buy new clothes. Search on "puffy coat".

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #27
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKaOi View Post

I just called TireRack and they said you can only run winter tires when it is below 40 degrees. So, how often is MA under 40 degrees, and for how many months of the year? The guy at TireRack also said all weather tires would be fine.

Since my car will be arriving in October, should I just swap out to my 17" stockies with all weather tires before I ship it, and then go back to 19" in the spring?

I'm sorry...I'm from Hawaii. Having to deal with seasonal changes is foreign to me.

Yes, I know, I could look this up, but I want real world opinions.

Thanks in advance!
I usually change the weekend of Thanksgiving and leave the Winter tires on until Easter. I think you should go with winter instead of all seasons.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #28
branabolic
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

you definatly need winter tires not all seasons. that 40 degrees shit is bull too, man. they'll drive fine up to about 60 or so just dont be trying to pull any mario andretti shit. and once we're into late october/early nov it wont be above 60 very often if at all. i live about 35 mins north of boston where we actually get alot more snow so i usually put my winters on first week of november. oh and if the potholes piss you off hit me up in the spring i'll show you some awesome nicely paved backroads new hampsha style.