E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > "Do Not Disconnect"

07-09-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
stewie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

"Do Not Disconnect"

So the manual says that if you hook up an MP3 player with a standard USB cable, the car will identify the device and build a library of its contents that will be accessed whenever the device is plugged in.

How long does this process take? It worked with my 4 GB flash drive almost instantaneously.

But with my 80 GB iPod, after more than an hour, it still says "do not disconnect". Now, I can actually play music from the ipod and manipulate it using my car's controls, but for some reason the iPod screen still shows "Do Not Disconnect."

Is it doing this because it's building the library? Or is it doing this because it's not using the 6FL cable? (I'm trying to save the $100 my dealership wants to charge me for it... in Canada it's not included in the USB option price).

Has anyone tried this with a large device? How long did it take? Does it work while the car is off? (the ipod screen stays lit and says "do not disconnect" even when the car is off) And I'm afraid to disobey the iPod and disconnect it when it's telling me not to!

thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
planetscott
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

I just took the plunge at bought the cable. I was like you in the sense that I was originally using my 4GB iPod Nano with the USB cable. With that, it managed to sync in a few seconds. Based on what I read in the big 6FL thread, I decided to just buy the cable.

I'm using it with an 80GB iPod and it works perfectly. It loads all the metadata within a few seconds. Playlists work, and if you setup your genres to be the first album artist letter, navigation is a breeze.

It sucks that the cable costs $100, but it's worth it IMO.
      07-09-2007, 09:54 AM   #3
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep

Why did you pay $100.00 when the 6FL cable is free, if you bought the factory 6FL option you paid for the cable. There is a bulliten on that with a pic of the cable that comes free with 6FL.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 10:03 AM   #4
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

The cable is only free in the US. In Canada they pay for it but the price of the 6FL option is less than we pay.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #5
stewie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetscott View Post
I just took the plunge at bought the cable. I was like you in the sense that I was originally using my 4GB iPod Nano with the USB cable. With that, it managed to sync in a few seconds. Based on what I read in the big 6FL thread, I decided to just buy the cable.

I'm using it with an 80GB iPod and it works perfectly. It loads all the metadata within a few seconds. Playlists work, and if you setup your genres to be the first album artist letter, navigation is a breeze.

It sucks that the cable costs $100, but it's worth it IMO.
I was going to buy the cable, but then I saw that guys in Toronto were getting it for $67, tax in, and my dealership wanted to charge me over $100, and I figured I'd just use the regular USB. From what I understand, I would lose my ability to use playlists, but that is all. I was ready to pay $50 for the cable, but this is highway robbery, IMO.

I'm just wondering if anyone else (perhaps with a non-ipod MP3 player) can help me determine how long it should take to get all the song info loaded.

The info I found suggested that it can take up to 10 minutes to load an 8GB flash drive, so an 80GB hard drive should take at least 10x that long, and maybe longer. But can I do it in pieces, or do I need to keep the radio on straight through the entire time?
Appreciate 0