E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > XM radio setup pic

12-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #1
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

XM radio setup pic

I got some new pics of my setup. The picture shows the XM MyFi with a new cover that now matches the woodgrain in the dash. I have it mounted on an E90 specific Kuda mount. The wires are hidden under the mount and run along the inside edge of the center console. The antenna wire continues under the passenger seat up to the corner of the back window along the inside edge of the trim. I used double sided tape to hold the actual antenna in position and out of site (for the most part).

The reason I went with this setup is because I like to prerecord music on the Myfi so I can skip past songs I do not want to hear. Also, I can just plug it into a lighter outlet for power (if needed for a long trip). Usually, I just run it off the battery. However, I bought a Cigarette Lighter Splitter Adaptor so I can plug in my cellphone and XM on long trips. I just slide the thing between the passenger seat and the console.

The other cool thing about the Myfi is that I can take it into work and play it back there just using the internal antenna and the FM freq on my radio. I usually plug it into an electrical outlet at that time to keep it charged up.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

what's the thing in your ashtray
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
what's the thing in your ashtray
It is a music keg display that you can read about in this thread.

I mentioned in the thread that I was going to use the Kenwood KNW AUX to work with my XM radio. However, I have decided to use it to hook up a Rhapsody-to-go player (Treo 650 with ptunes or Creative Zen Micro). When the KNW Aux senses activity on the RCA inputs, it defaults to the RCAs. If it is not getting an RCA signal (when the Treo is paused, stopped, off) it will play the keg over the aux inputs. This is easier for me than going in and out of the console to plug/unplug different players. I just have the Rca to miniplug wire tucked under my side of the console then I pull it up in between the emergency brake lever and the console. It is a nice for long trips or when I just put a new album on the portable mp3 player.

The keg is three pieces (one part is in the storage area where the spare would be in the trunk, the other is a "modulator" that is in the compartment under the steering wheel, and the third piece is the display). Here are a couple pics with the display in site:

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
shutterbug
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi

It looks very nice! Do you have any suggestions for my much more basic setup? I have an Archos Gmini 400 (20 GB media player) in the center console plugged into the AUX IN. I also have a wired remote that I'd like to keep outside the center console to switch tracks, etc. However, the wire is a little too thick for the center console to close properly. Do you have any suggestions on how to route the wire from the center console to the outside?

Also, I'm also considering hooking up a Roady 2. In your setup, you said you used a KNW AUX, allowing you to essentially have 2 devices feeding 1 AUX IN port. Is that correct? I'm having trouble visualizing that. The My Fi connects to the KNW via RCA, the Keg connects via the PIE, and then there is just one output cable terminating in the AUX IN? The KNW senses which device is active and will alternatively feed the signal. Do I have that right?

Any help you can give is appreciated. Your setup is very cool...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Do you have any suggestions on how to route the wire from the center console to the outside?
If all you want to do is get the cable out without having it come out the top, you can pull out the rubber black thing in the console and run the wire down the hole under it. It will come out next to the passenger seat or you can run it down the inside edge of the console.
Quote:
The My Fi connects to the KNW via RCA, the Keg connects via the PIE, and then there is just one output cable terminating in the AUX IN? The KNW senses which device is active and will alternatively feed the signal. Do I have that right?
You are mostly right. The keg (pie) and the Myfi (RCA input device) would attach to the KNW Aux via their connections. The KNW Aux has a PIE out that plugs into the modulator.

The modulator has two choices, FM modulation or Aux output (I used the Aux). In other words, the modulator is the central location and has a PIE input, a display input, and the aux out. The KNW Aux senses the signal and feeds it to the modulator over the PIE depending on whether or not any sound is coming over the RCAs. Here is a picture. There is a PIE input that is not shown:
http://store.yahoo.com/discave/knpieauausw.html

I do have a couple issues with feeding it an XM signal. My first problem is that the XM has to be off for the keg to play. I like having it on so I can switch over when I see something that catches my eye. Also, I got some hum over the front speakers with XM that I do not get with the mp3 player. I am going to buy a ground loop isolator that should fix this problem, but I doubt I will go back to the direct connection because of the need for it to be off. I guess I could pause it, but that really defeats the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #6
shutterbug
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uofmtiger
If all you want to do is get the cable out without having it come out the top, you can pull out the rubber black thing in the console and run the wire down the hole under it. It will come out next to the passenger seat or you can run it down the inside edge of the console.
Do you mean the long rectangular base of the console? That just snaps out?

Your description makes a lot more sense to me now. Thanks. Is your modulator specific to the Kenwood unit, or do you think it's possible to have a similar setup with the Archos and Roady 2?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 10:55 PM   #7
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Do you mean the long rectangular base of the console? That just snaps out?
No, the black rubber inside the console (if you do not have the phone package). It is under the enclosed area where the aux input is at under the armrest. I took a hanger and pushed the wire through the small hole below that area. I will take a picture of it tomorrow if you do not understand my description.

There is a black triangle behind the shifter and it feels glued in, so I have never tried to pop it out. At one time, I just used the aux for XM, so I ran it down the side of the console from under the armrest and ran it under the bottom edge of the console and back behind the kuda mount. The only evidence that there was a wire was the place it hooked in behind the Myfi.

I have seen a post on here somewhere that describes how they mounted their ipod in the area behind the shifter. It may have had more info on how to get the rubber off of that location.

Quote:
Is your modulator specific to the Kenwood unit, or do you think it's possible to have a similar setup with the Archos and Roady 2?
It is Kenwood specific. I have looked for A/B swtiches for two nonspecific miniplugs, but have been unsuccessful. That does not mean they do not exist, but I could not find one.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2005, 11:15 PM   #8
shutterbug
Private
Rep

Damn, I'm probably not explaining myself very well, or just using the wrong terms. I should have said that I want to route a wire from inside the armrest (where the Archos will be) terminating in a small remote control, preferably somewhere inconspicuous like taped to the side of the console. The problem I'm having now is that the wire is so thick that I can't close the armrest fully.

So yeah, if you could take a photo that would be great! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #9
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Sorry, I ran out of time to get shots yesterday. Here they are:

First shot is the aux with the black rubber piece in place.

This is the shot with the rubber piece removed.

This is an example of where the wire comes through (but the wire actually comes through on the passenger side) - sorry the car is in the garage, so I was not able to get in the passenger side to get the shot.

If the remote end is too big to fit through the hole, the best way to get the aux wire into the console is by running a long string down the hole with a hanger until one end comes out the other side, next to the passenger seat. Then tie the remote wire with the aux end to the string and pull it through. Hope this helps.

BTW Nice player! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
shutterbug
Private
Rep

Awesome shots! This is really helpful, so thanks for taking the time. I'll post pics once I get everything set up. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 05:54 PM   #11
RedFireBeemer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Red 330i

Quote:
I got some new pics of my setup. The picture shows the XM MyFi with a new cover that now matches the woodgrain in the dash. I have it mounted on an E90 specific Kuda mount. The wires are hidden under the mount and run along the inside edge of the center console. The antenna wire continues under the passenger seat up to the corner of the back window along the inside edge of the trim. I used double sided tape to hold the actual antenna in position and out of site (for the most part).

The reason I went with this setup is because I like to prerecord music on the Myfi so I can skip past songs I do not want to hear. Also, I can just plug it into a lighter outlet for power (if needed for a long trip). Usually, I just run it off the battery. However, I bought a Cigarette Lighter Splitter Adaptor so I can plug in my cellphone and XM on long trips. I just slide the thing between the passenger seat and the console.

The other cool thing about the Myfi is that I can take it into work and play it back there just using the internal antenna and the FM freq on my radio. I usually plug it into an electrical outlet at that time to keep it charged up.

I have the same color interior and the same xm receiver. Where did you get the face plate for the xm radio?
Premium Package
Steptronic
Xenon Lights
Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2005, 10:43 PM   #12
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Awesome shots! This is really helpful, so thanks for taking the time. I'll post pics once I get everything set up. Thanks again.
You are very welcome! I am looking forward to those shots!
Quote:
I have the same color interior and the same xm receiver. Where did you get the face plate for the xm radio?
I took a picture of the wood grain in the dash and created the face on skinit.com. The skin is an exact match of the wood.

You did not ask, but the mount is from kuda and just slides into the crevice between the radio and the dash. I used some double sided tape to hold it in place a little better (no screws are needed). I also ran the antenna wire so that it is not noticible and put the antenna in the passenger side corner in the back window. Since the window has a black edge, the antenna is nearly invisible. I was worried about reception, but have not lost it at all, with the exception of when I was in the Smoky Mountains.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Here is my rad XM radio setup.

Last edited by StewtheBassman; 04-16-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 12:13 AM   #14
theclay
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewtheBassman
Here is my rad XM radio setup.
lol, Stew that looks like shit. I'm sure it works better than my dealer installed SIRIUS though.
      12-31-2005, 06:29 AM   #15
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ha ha, thanks for the props!!! Works fine and I can switch it to either of our other cars when I'm using them!

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 12:16 PM   #16
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Yo Stew,

you can leave the antenna inside the car if you want, XM signal is so damn strong you may be able to leave the antenna in your glovebox!

I have a similar setup with sirius for my other car, and i leave the antenna on the interior
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2005, 12:53 PM   #17
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Ward, I'm pulling in that American signal here in Canada.....I'll try mounting it somewhere inside.

I tried it inside my trunk and it was quite spotty.

I'll be in the car later today....let ya know.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I tried it inside my trunk and it was quite spotty.
I have tried mounting it upside down in the trunk and I could not get that to work, either. It may work on your dashboard, though.

I had a Delphi XM tuner in my e46 and I did like the way orange text looked in the car at night. I do like a cleaner look than what you have here, but I guess this install saves you from purchasing two car kits.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 06:34 PM   #19
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

I think this antenna needs to stick to metal...couldn't get it to stick in the glove either.
Whatever....that's three car kits! I have a '98 Jimmy that I use for my farm work and the gritty stuff that the X5 doesn't have to do!

One day someone will come up with a far more elegant and cheaper solution to make my XM radio merge with my BMW radio, and I'll buy that setup.

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #20
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Whatever....that's three car kits! I have a '98 Jimmy that I use for my farm work and the gritty stuff that the X5 doesn't have to do!
Sorry, I thought you must be moving the antenna from car to car to go with this solution. I ran the antenna to the back window and used double sided tape to hold it in place. If that didn't work, putting it on the trunk would at the least look better.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #21
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I thought you must be moving the antenna from car to car to go with this solution. I ran the antenna to the back window and used double sided tape to hold it in place. If that didn't work, putting it on the trunk would at the least look better.

No, you're right.

I move the whole setup when I switch vehicles. Antenna, Lighter plug, and radio in mount.

It's dorky as hell, but I'm addicted to it!

At first I ran the wire through the back seat and ski pass thru to the trunk, but I take my little girls to pre-school every day and the chances of the wire getting tangled and destroyed are very high.....so I use the fugly setup which breaks down quickly.

Probably adds .00035678 to my drag coefficient.....

I suppose I should have bought a SkyFi to go as well, but it was out of my price range and someone told me they don't receive as well as what I have. Could that be true?

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:23 AM   #22
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
At first I ran the wire through the back seat and ski pass thru to the trunk, but I take my little girls to pre-school every day and the chances of the wire getting tangled and destroyed are very high.....so I use the fugly setup which breaks down quickly.
You should be able to run the wire under the passenger seat and then tuck it under the trim until you get up to the back window. There are no wires exposed unless you look under the passenger seat in my setup. Of course, if you only have one antenna, then the way you are doing it is about the only solution.
Quote:
I suppose I should have bought a SkyFi to go as well, but it was out of my price range and someone told me they don't receive as well as what I have. Could that be true?
I have had a Delphi and and a MyFi and there is no difference in reception anywhere that I have been. The Myfi has the added benefit of also having a built it antenna, so I do not even need an external antenna at work. I doubt you would get a strong enough signal in Canada, but the built in antenna actually gets better reception than AM frequencies on my radio at work.

One other added benefit of the Myfi (besides recording capabilities) is the battery. Unless I am going on a trip out of town, I do not even plug it in when I am in the car. I charge it at work every day, so there is no need to charge it in the car, too.

Last edited by uofmtiger; 01-02-2006 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0