E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > CC-ID 132: The ghost in the machine

02-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
ima747
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi black on black

Question CC-ID 132: The ghost in the machine

2006 330xi: A few days ago I started to get a light warning (lightbulb with an exclimation mark on startup). There are no lights out, every single bulb inside and outside (major stuff obviously but even under handles, and license plate, etc.) is working fine. There was a blackened but still working bulb in the rear right tail light which I replaced assuming it was the culprit with no luck.

Poking into the check control computer says CC-ID 132. Which looking up the code says "FRM 132 Front Right Side Light Failure" which should be the passenger side little turn signal side light behind the front wheel. Took quite a lot of digging but I eventually figured out how to get that off and re-seated the bulb to no effect. I then swapped the left and right to see if I could get the code to change to no effect. The left side light works on the right side (entire housing swapped) and the code stays the same even when the left side is unplugged which should theoretically change something since there's now a known fault (missing bulb) on the driver side...

My understanding is that it detects bulb failures by resistance so I did a resistance test on the side bulbs and they're both exactly the same (3.4ohms if it matters). For shits and giggles I did a resistance test on every single rear bulb on both sides and their housings as well since they're super easy to get at and they're all +/- 0.1 ohms of 1 ohm resistance so nothing stands out there.

So either:
CC-ID 132 doesn't actually mean the right side light behind the front tire, in which case where do I look next? the xenon housings are pretty daunting and hard to get at...
OR
The problem is in the right side light but up stream from the external connection somewhere, so where does that wire go?

Can anyone confirm that cc-id 132 with a light error is indeed the right side light?

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look next? That extra bong, warning light, and then warning triangle all the time are driving me insane.

If it makes any difference (shouldn't but you never know) it's been pretty cold and wet here recently (nothing especially different when it started, and it has been warmer and dryer and it's persisted). Also I had a low washer fluid warning about a day before the light warning started. Just shut up the warning icon for that and then the lights bring the triangle of harassment right back... Also have slapped an OBD2 scanner on it just cause why not and everything is squeaky clean (wouldn't expect an OBD2 error for this but it doesn't look like there's anything major that might be being misinterpreted or something)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
ima747
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi black on black

I found it! It was hard to spot because it's subtle and I wasn't getting the angle right. cc-id 132 apparently means the bulb for the right side "angel eyes" which is, to put it explicitly, is the light ring around the headlights. You have to be low enough (or far enough away) to see the ring illuminate, and with the headlights on it's kind of blinding to look at in the first place. Turn on the running lights (first click to the right of off) and they should go on, get level with the lights and you should see the rings illuminated on the driver's side, and not on the passenger's side (assuming, like me you only have cc-id 132, if you have both which I think would be 132 and 131 but that's just a guess, then obviously you should see no illuminated rings at all).

So to re-state in a way hopefully a search engine will find and save someone some time:
cc-id 132 is the right side headlight ring illumination bulb ("angel eye") on an 2006 BMW 330xi. part number 63117161444.

Since I have go in there anyway to replace it, aftermarket LED replacements seem to be cheaper in a 2 pack than a single OEM replacement, so might be a nice mod.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

We don't have the same model car but your info did shoot me to go have a second look at a similar problem. 08 328i with regular headlamps.

It seems the code means parking lamps. on my model of course. for detecting with the eyes I would say it would be best to DRLs off. Should be more visible then.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
piotrus22
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

hi guys - sorry to revive an old thread but I have halogens on my 2007 328xi with this asme error CC-ID 132. All bulbs appear fine, any ideas??
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrus22
hi guys - sorry to revive an old thread but I have halogens on my 2007 328xi with this asme error CC-ID 132. All bulbs appear fine, any ideas??
What happened in my case was there were two little lights on the inner side of the head lamps. Closest to the kidney grills. This is in the same housing with the high beam/ drl bulbs. Turn off DRL in cluster, them light switch park lights only then you should be able to see which one is out. I'm assuming we have the same halogen lamps.
      01-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
What happened in my case was there were two little lights on the inner side of the head lamps. Closest to the kidney grills. This is in the same housing with the high beam/ drl bulbs. Turn off DRL in cluster, them light switch park lights only then you should be able to see which one is out. I'm assuming we have the same halogen lamps.
i got a low battery warning and clock was reset when i went to start my car just now. After about a 30 min drive i got a bulb out and thanks to this thread i can see that my BMS LED light is dead. That makes my 4th set in 1.5 years :P these cars r touchy with electronics.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #7
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman
Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
i got a low battery warning and clock was reset when i went to start my car just now. After about a 30 min drive i got a bulb out and thanks to this thread i can see that my BMS LED light is dead. That makes my 4th set in 1.5 years :P these cars r touchy with electronics.
Such sweet hearts we have man!
      09-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #8
6spd335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 6spd sadan

I know it's been a while since this thread was posted, ima747 I've read your post for this issue on two BMW forums, and I think I should be able to locate the problem today when I get home from work. That being said, once you replaced your bulbs did your check engine light stop coming on, periodically? Also where did you get your replacement bulbs from, I don't want this to turn out to be a dealer only item.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #9
cliffschum
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

Angel eyes/light rings

I should report that I've had issues with this mystery code as well. The one ring went out, so I bought a couple of the (very expensive) newer style bulbs...only to have them arrive after the light went back on. Subsequently, it has gone off, and back on, on its own, 3 more times. I'm assuming that the connection is poor, but that explanation is now getting weak..

Bulbs were purchased from http://www.bimmian.com/

Cliff
2006 330i
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
sebastiancruz97
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325 I

Cc Id 131 & 132

I Have a '06 325i and i have the CC ID 131 & 132 I cant find the bulb that seems to be faulty
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2016, 01:24 AM   #11
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Yeah, I have the same issue with ccid 131 and 132. Removed the bulbs, they were actually still working, getting solid juice from the wire harness. The bulb itself is encased in a plastic housing, and that got old and worn-off, so the bulb may or may not get a good contact with the socket. The only solution is to replace the assembly+bulb, aftermarket looks better and cost about the same.
Appreciate 0