E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > time to change crankshaft sensor?

02-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #1
h0ldem_8o8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

time to change crankshaft sensor?

Hi everyone, I have a 2006 BMW 330i. I have a no start issue, I just changed my starter, but I did not put the intake manifold back in yet because I discovered that the crankcase breather hose, the CCV (oil seperator), and another breather hose were clogged with solidified oil. I am waiting for the parts to come in. But I was wondering if I should also change the crankshaft sensor, as a preventative measure. there is no problems related to the crankshaft sensor, but I heard that it is a common problem. Idt it has been changed yet. My car has roughly 80,000 miles on it, and i intend to use it for a long time. Is it worth it to buy a $100 sensor and change out a working sensor since I have the intake manifold out already? or should i just wait till there is a problem and then act? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

If those hoses are clogged, I would clean out that CCV seperator with brake parts cleaner. It just a simple vortex venturi type thing. Those hoses should be heated, thats what the electrical connectors are for. I would make sure those are hooked up since yours were clogged.

Anyway, to answer your question. Now would be a good time to change that crankshaft sensor, make sure you replace the crankshaft sensor seal also, its the round rubber thing in the valve cover the connector pokes thru.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The DIY here shows oil on the connectors if its bad.

The DIY here shows oil on the connectors if its bad.
You pop of the plug and look at the contacts to see if there
dry I think you have to do that anyway in valve cover
gasket change.
Don't know if they sell the seal separate.
Also I thought the cost was a lot higher the 100 bucks
more like 250 to 350. (I am thinking of the eccentric cam sensor)
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
h0ldem_8o8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Yea all the breather pipes were plugged in, that's why I fear that the heating elements are breaking down since there was a lots of clogged oil. I think that the heating elements are not producing enough energy since they are old. The crank shaft sensor is roughly $100 I think the expensive $200 sensor is the cam shaft sensor. I will remove sensor and inspect it.
Appreciate 0