E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Does this sound right?

08-21-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Does this sound right?

A friend of mine got the typical three lights of doom, ABS, TC and DTC lights. She took it to a garage as I couldn't get to her in time to read the codes and they've come up with this:

Quote:
The problem with your car is there has been a lot of movement in your nearside rear wheel bearing in which is moving the abs ring on the cv joint which is fouling against the abs sensor, until this work is carried out we can’t do anymore testing, but we suspect that this is the majority of the problems.

This is the list of the parts required for the work all from BMW as requested.

Wheel Bearing- £52.50 + VAT
Hub Carrier- £66.25 + VAT
ABS Sensor- £75.42 + VAT
CV Joint- £66.25 + VAT
Diagnostics Scan- £50 + VAT
Labour- 6 Hours- £420
Subtotal- £730
VAT- £146.08
Total- £876.50
She then asked why so many parts needed work and was told,

Quote:
They all need replacing because they are all damaged, you need to advise us on what part you would like us to replace, my previous email explained our diagnostics.
Now they haven't actually told her the results of the diagnostic, only charged her £60 for it! I get that the above could be possible, but do you think that they really need to replace that much stuff just for what sounds like a dodgy sensor and bearing?

I've asked her to get them to tell her exactly what the diag scan said, but in the meantime, what are the thoughts.

It's an E87 120d if that makes any difference but to be fair, they're virtually the same as our cars anyway so thought I'd ask here first.
      08-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #2
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Wild stab in the dark the 120d's an 04 plate to a 55 plate, if so the reluctor rings on the drive shafts swell and create the very issues seen by your friends described. This is a common issue sometimes missed.But to answer one of your points diagnostic wise the price you've stated is about right.

When the cars driven say when turning left or right slightly loading one side or the other up the traction control will chime in abruptly and some report the same symptoms when pulling away from a junction when the rear squats down, we've seen a shed load of early 1's a few 3's too with the same issue, when inspected (you have the car in the air and manually spin the wheel around looking at where the wheel speed sensors situated (if it's really bad you'll see the sensors worn abnormally)and this will give you a clue what you're looking for is the ring on the driveshaft that swells due to contamination and rust which causes the problem, worst one I've seen I actually heard as a rotational clicking. Kris (K M79's) seen a fair few of these and has spoken of it elsewhere.

At a guess if the bearings gone I think it'll be damn unlucky, like wise the CV joint, but things do wear but I feel it's wide of the mark to suggest these would of created the ABS issue, my money would be the driveshaft ring knocking out the speed sensor that'll of caused it. The other items(if worn?)and this needs to be proven are by products/other faults.

Remedy is a new driveshaft(in practice)though I've seen the rings on eBay and as they separate the driveshaft can be cleaned up and the ring itself replaced (again Kris's garage has found an ingenious repair method for this problem)but when we see these it's normally to get the car back on the road new driveshaft, speed sensor about 2 and a bit hours labour(on average)if you gave to bang the old driveshaft out there's a risk of bearing damage so again this could figure.

I could if course be 100% wrong! but from experience and what you've stated re the 3 magic lights I'd stick my money on this being the issue with the car.
      08-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Cheers Steve, that makes more sense. They're going to let her know what the codes are tomorrow, but I've suggested that she tells them to look at the drive shaft and reluctor. It did seem odd that the CV, bearing AND hub carrier all need replaced.
      08-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
KM79
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 335D Msport Saloon

It is plausible due to movement in a bearing but it's certainly something I haven't seen on a 1.Could well be classic reluctor ring swelling.
Appreciate 0