E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > JBL MS-8 Nightmare is reality. Looking for some empathy and or HELP!

04-10-2011, 01:35 AM   #23
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergoyo View Post
An AGW+ (www.motuslab.com) is the slightly more expensive option to the MS-8 and allows you replace your LOGIC 7 amp (using Technic's harness), maintain your MOST connection, more EQ options than you can ever dream of via your laptop, while being able to control bass/treble/fader from your oem head unit (if you also do not wish to recode).
In other words, a true PnP upgrade which is fully and quickly reversible.
Sound like a lot of work. Reason I liked the "idea" of the ms8 was it seemed to be easily programmable without the need of a computer.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:03 PM   #24
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

The MS-8 is easy to work with. We do a lot of them. Not clear why your pro is having problems, but you might have a bad unit. I would be happy to help your install shop out - who is it?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
The MS-8 is easy to work with. We do a lot of them. Not clear why your pro is having problems, but you might have a bad unit. I would be happy to help your install shop out - who is it?
Very cool of you! Thanks

I contacted JBL, they were extremely helpful. They went through everything because I confirmed input was working (tested on a speaker and I get the OKOKOK then the "acquiring") and the output works as we popped the speakers in the car and the unit worked for about 5 minutes...

Long and short the unit was sent to them Saturday, Andy from JBL says they actually got it today and they supposedly were speeding up the process to get one back out today.

Bad part is if I get the new one and all is good and it still does not work. I have a feeling that will not be the case!

Anyway, if anyone has input for me I would appreciate it.

What I am doing is keeping all stock speakers for this second (amp and speakers to come after the ms8 works).

CH 1 and 2 are doors left and right with 4" and tweeter out from MS8
CH 3 and 4 are under seat woofer
CH 5 Center
CH 6 and 7 are parallel the rear door 4s and the rear deck.

Any input from you as far as slope and xover settings to start with? I like MIDBASS and I would be happy if it was midbass heavy. I will be adding a sub so I thought I would keep the output of 8 open for that?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #26
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Now you just need to read the MS-8 integration thread. This has been covered.

Are you amplifying the underseats with an external amp? Because the MS-8 can't push them enough to give you any bass. Not enough power (it's been tried).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #27
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

That thread is LONGGG read it alot. Doesnt really give info about xover settings that I remember.

I will be using the ms8 to power everything for this minute... (cant be worse than the stock power?)

I am planning on the SW9 per you, 4" components of some sort (might by those focals on here for sale if you have any input?), and 2 PPI art series OLD SCHOOL a600 running each pair (2 of those).

Then later I will add a sub of choice and a sub amp
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #28
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335forme View Post
That thread is LONGGG read it alot. Doesnt really give info about xover settings that I remember.

I will be using the ms8 to power everything for this minute... (cant be worse than the stock power?)

I am planning on the SW9 per you, 4" components of some sort (might by those focals on here for sale if you have any input?), and 2 PPI art series OLD SCHOOL a600 running each pair (2 of those).

Then later I will add a sub of choice and a sub amp
I have never suggested the SW9, not sure where that got started. I have used the ADMW9 and then we started buying a home-version Morel woofer which we like - but they don't fit the E9x readily (much easier in the 1-series) and so we have been using the Jehnerts for midbass.

I hate Focal. I like Morel and Rainbow.

Yes, the MS-8 is far worse than the stock Logic 7 amp as far as woofer power is concerned. You need an amp on them or you will be disappointed. If you amplify the stockers and play them all the way down into the subbass, you will blow them pretty soon, and then you will be disappointed again. Kaigoss tried this initially, and had poor results, and there's no way Kai wants as much bass as I suspect you will

This is why I keep telling people that incrementalism on our cars doesn't work well.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:34 PM   #29
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I saw a build u did it was jacked up before u fixed it up... U had a 9 inch woofer I thought and u said in the build that u were going to use them I think. Whatever woofer that is I migjt try
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #30
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just talked to a guy he is good... Installer named Chad Peterson, he worked for Soundwerks in PHX forever and Signature audio. Was sponsored by Pioneer and many others.

He says that he thinks 8s will not work well in such small enclosures (I have a feeling he just hasnt had anyone wanting to do that). I know you guys have made this work or else you would not keep doing it to every car.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:16 PM   #31
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

See this ad confuses me... why do you say ADMW then you say no way to the SW but this says both?

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-4845-adm...subwoofer.aspx

Will these work? Are these the ones you put in the jacked up car?

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...nakamichi.html
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #32
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

If you're gonna add a sub later, you can stay with the L7 woofers. They have excellent midbass. Like Ken said, you will need an amp to make them keep up with the other speakers. Highpass them at 50 - 60Hz. If you are careful, they will work well with 100 - 150W per side.

If you blow them however, you would have been better off getting the Jehnerts...

The crossovers on the MS-8 with the L7 components work best at 150Hz, 24db/oct.
      04-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #33
335forme
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I appreciate all the input, I was hoping to not go thru the trial and error like you guys seemed to have done already!

So, I guess here are the options.

MS8 power center, rears - Amp factory under seats, Amp doors (new 4" comp), amp new sub.

MS8 power center, rears - Amp new factory under seats, amp doors new comp, amp and new sub.

MS8 power centers, rears - Amp new speakers under front seat, amp new door comps and skip the sub.

Anyone have a 4" comp they really love in the car?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #34
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My suggestion is to kill this thread and start a new one with a relevant title. If you want more advice, I'm happy to help.

Woofers etc. doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. What is your question, exactly?

Maybe you should call Signature and ask why that guy isn't working for Dave any longer? I have known Dave for years.
Appreciate 0