E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > P. Reader doesnt log high boost

02-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #45
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Because, with v1, you never ran more than 12psi above 5500rpm. Go ahead and taper your user tq up top so that boost tapers down to 10psi by 6000rpm. And then see how accurate the logs are.

Shiv
The biggest spikes for me occur around 4k RPMs...
      02-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #46
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
I'm glad other people are finally picking up on this rather then calling me an idiot and telling me there is just no way it happening.

Shiv, limits of the TMAP etc? Alright fine, how come they logged perfectly fine with V1? Please don't tell me I'm lying because I have logs of them.

That fact would only serves to make the reading by the TMAP higher than the manifold.
this log was done with v2 .. v2.0.2beta:
Attached Images

02-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #47
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

i dont know if this has to do with anything but when i dynoed my car i was seeing psi up to 16.3 but with my laptop i was seeing boost up to only 14.9
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #48
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Tek 818 View Post
this log was done with v2 .. v2.0.2beta:

And? That's exactly the problem, except that everyone else's procede magically cuts of the top half of the spike.

I know for a FACT there was a 17psi spike right after 728 in this log.

And yet.
      02-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #49
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
Quote:
And? That's exactly the problem, except that everyone else's procede magically cuts of the top half of the spike.
Was just showing the fact that I have seen spikes in datalogging w/ the new v2 software. They do seem to be eliminated with the final versions of the 2.0.2 map.
      02-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #50
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Tek 818 View Post
Was just showing the fact that I have seen spikes in datalogging w/ the new v2 software. They do seem to be hidden with the final versions of the 2.0.2 map.
Fixed.
      02-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #51
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:

And yet.
If you notice that where you say was a spike you have a flat plateau of boost...where it should be all jagged like the rest of your log....this is how mine showed too. I thikn any boost over 15 is being flatened down at 14.7-14.9 or something. weird huh
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #52
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramano View Post
If you notice that where you say was a spike you have a flat plateau of boost...where it should be all jagged like the rest of your log....this is how mine showed too. I thikn any boost over 15 is being flatened down at 14.7-14.9 or something. weird huh
I know I mentioned that several times.

"Really interesting how you're boost just goes dead even right there, to a tenth of a psi. I've never seen anything like it, I would have though it was impossible" in response to someone else's graph or something like that, to which shiv responded "wana bet" or something.

It's just so coincidental that every place there is a spike the log magically shows that 14.7 or so plateau. That's a good name for it by the way.
      02-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #53
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
As an added not, we apply a dynamic ignition retard under sudden load changes that decays over 0.5 seconds to catch these spikes and keep them from inducing knock events.
I was thinking this over and was wondering (and not specifically asking as I am not sure this could be answered) if the valve timing changes could induce or increase momentary overlap. When combined with retarded ignition timing, an increase in boost in the manifold could occur.

Just thinking out loud...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #54
BlueLion
she likes the flavor......
United_States
Rep
Drives: A51-E92

Garage List
2022 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:

And yet.
Quote:
i dont think it would be to much to get an answer for this......

E92 Montego Blue silfa718 ..::STETT CAI|ADVAN RS|WAGNER FMIC|MS DP|VANGUARD|PROCEDE|FORGE DV|BMS OCC|KWV2|MICHELIN PSS|OOS::..

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #55
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Ya,
I've only seen a max of 14.9 on the software.....
hmmmm time to get a gauge
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #56
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Oh shoot, the after burner...

Quote:
The thing is what im talking about is not even a spike....i have spikes and thats not what worries me...its when i downshift to mash on the throttle and i get consistent hard boost over 16psi.

Boost spikes hit when i shift gears under wot, thats fine....sometimes when i downshift when driving normally and my engine is nice and warm ready to go....i can see solid boost over 16-20 psi. This does not happen regularly, but i can reproduce it.... i was thinking of videotaping my gauge to show everyone. This boost comes out of left field and just charges the car down the road. Then i look at the reader and i still only have 14.8-15.2 psi. Im like how is this possible since you can def. feel the power difference. I hope shiv chimes in soon....my gauge is hooked up after the diverters but before the throttle body...so this means this is the boost going in correct....i remmeber o-cha saying the sensor for the procede is right after this...so this boost should show up...idk
Maybe you forgot to put the afterburner switch to the off position No but really that is scarely. Hope you figure out soon what that is.
      02-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #57
Supramano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 BMW M3, 2008 335xi Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
I see and have seen the same thing as you all the way up to 26psi, i immediately get off the throttle and change the settings to something lower like 90% down from the 94% where i have it set at. It all depends on the outside temp, If its hot outside i have to lower the settings and if its cold outside i can raise them up, i keep a cheap laptop in the car.

I ran white 335 coupe this weekend in a second gear pull and i put over a car on him and he had V2 and downpipes. I have the intake and the fmic over him but i think maybe it was because my settings are higher than his that gave me the extra jump...

Its good to monitor things but i understand some people just want to plug it in and forget about it. If i was one of those poeple i would just run V2 at default and call it a day, if you install it right and set it to 90% across you will be fine. I want to get the most out of the product, thats all.

Yeah ill have to agree with you on this....i think maybe cause we have dps, intake, fmic, exhaust...with all these mods weve freed up alout of air from intake to exhaust...procede at 90% would be different for us. I noticed this boost spikes at 20psi...well not exactly a spike it was solid boost at wot at 4k rom, but my setting were at 94% for a while and it warmed up alot for the past week from 30s to 50s...thats when i noticed all this high boost....i dropped it down to 90% and it seems under control for now...but today it was 18-22 degrees out again and i couldnt get over 12psi for the life of me... Weather really makes a difference...i really suggest people get a gauge....it just still bothers me that the reader doesnt pick it up...cause the boost is there and if my gauge is connecting from the diverters which is only3 inches from where the procede reads it correct?.....i hope im wrong..i really hope 20psi was not pushing through my engine, but who knows anymore.
Mods; Procede V4 | Remus Quads | UR catless dps | H&R coilovers | Modified CDV | Injen Intake | Spearco IC | Forge DVs | Defi Boost Gauge w/controller | Vorsteiner CF Hood + Front Lip | OEM M-tech Body kit | Hamann eyelids | Predator Ice Angels | 19" Volk Progressive Me's | Rotora BBK | 18" Rota Torques w/Blizzaks
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #58
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I guess adding Dp and exhaust as well as intake, intercoolers etc, allows the turbos from being restricted, With these mods the turbos will produce quicker and higher boost pressures due to the turbo's having so less restriction on them...I guess having those mods, the safe bet is to lower the settings and temperatures have to be carefully observed and used as a variable for torque settings, more than OP without DP....I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves and not allowing Shiv to deliver the new map for you guys with these mods...Remember the map that is current was used for a otherwise stock car...Wait for the new map and in the meantime lower the torque settings to default...The spikes are probably there for sure, but again the latest map was intended for an otherwise stock car with V2!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:26 PM   #59
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I guess adding Dp and exhaust as well as intake, intercoolers etc, allows the turbos from being restricted, With these mods the turbos will produce quicker and higher boost pressures due to the turbo's having so less restriction on them...I guess having those mods, the safe bet is to lower the settings and temperatures have to be carefully observed and used as a variable for torque settings, more than OP without DP....I think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves and not allowing Shiv to deliver the new map for you guys with these mods...Remember the map that is current was used for a otherwise stock car...Wait for the new map and in the meantime lower the torque settings to default...The spikes are probably there for sure, but again the latest map was intended for an otherwise stock car with V2!!!!
Read again, it's stock cars +v2 too.

And again, it's not the spike that are the main point, it's the fact that they are somehow not on the software logs.
      02-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #60
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

can't someone just tap their boost gauge inline with the factory sensor? that should be fairly conclusive no?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #61
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
can't someone just tap their boost gauge inline with the factory sensor? what should be fairly conclusive no?
If they read differently then the engine wouldn't work properly FYI. If the car though it was getting 14 psi but was really getting 17, bad things would happen.
      02-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #62
baltik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: porsche 944 turbo

Quote:
If they read differently then the engine wouldn't work properly FYI. If the car though it was getting 14 psi but was really getting 17, bad things would happen.

I hear ya but this would eliminate the throttle plate X factor and definatively prove that either procede accurately controls boost or Shiv limited the boost reading on the logging software to get past Eugen...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #63
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

So what you are implying is the software READER is RIGGED??
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 09:55 PM   #64
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post
I hear ya but this would eliminate the throttle plate X factor and definatively prove that either procede accurately controls boost or Shiv limited the boost reading on the logging software to get past Eugen...
If the throttle plate was partially closed there would be LESS boost in the manifold not more. The problem is that gauges which are less infallible then the software are reading boost spikes while the software is not showing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
So what you are implying is the software READER is RIGGED??
Do you have any other explanation as to why they were logged on V1 and early V2 but have since magically PARTIALLY disappeared? I say partially because anyone with an ounce of sense can see where they have been cut out. (ok I might not have noticed if I didn't know where the spikes were, but if you know its fairly obvious)

I know some people have been waiting for this so here's the return of the paint skills.

Procede shows:

Reality:

It's easy to clip out when boost dramatically rises above 15, not so easy to make a natural looking boost curve in place of it. Hence the aptly named "plateau".
      02-11-2008, 09:58 PM   #65
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Hmmmm thats interesting!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2008, 10:00 PM   #66
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

And yet.
wow, that procede v2 really holds boost stable, look how its just ROCK SOLID at 14.75 ish right where it should be spiking... now that is skillz!

No matter how you look at it, that is not right... something is wrong...
Appreciate 0