E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Just occurred to me.. 335 is ANNOYING

01-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #67
PNorris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: TBD

H to T

Heel to toe after the corner. Now, that is funny!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 03:34 PM   #68
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

in a turn like your describing at least your supposed to be in second and power out...i don't have any shifting issues and neither have any professionals drivers...sure it an opinion...but the highly touted dsg system from audi and VW doesn't even compare to the zf in the 335 according to a major vw/audi journalist that makes his living testing and driving supped up vw's/audi's...and he LOVED the zf...so do all the people that have driven it for mags...some have gone on to say this might be the one bmw where the auto is better than the manual!!!!

remeber this is an opinion...but it sounds like your a true manual guy...why the hell did you buy an auto in the first place...go trade it in for a manual...dealers have them in stock now!!! what gives...why the rant?

you should have ranted about how pist you are about the fact you didn't get the manual...not knock practically the best auto out there!!! definitely better than the lexus audi, mercs, it's better than the auto in the s63 amg we have...and i have never had a problem with the zf shifting at the wrong time...in a turn you want it to be in second!!!! if you aren't maintaining the revs it will shift from third to 2nd!!!! you can't have it at 400rpms and in third!!! hello if it down shifted at ~ 2000 rpms i would say ok that's nuts!!! but in this case i think you are so livid cause you love the stick and choose the auto!!!! hey we all make mistakes!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #69
Beer Goggles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 6MT, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis View Post
first sorry if this is in the wrong section.

second, if i had a knife i would have probablly killed myself this morning. I just realized the 335 is very extremely annoying, the steptronic at least.

first: in any other car in the world, you warm it up in the morning, you drive for like 3 minutes and the engine temperature is at what it's supposed to be. I drive the 335 for 15 minutes and it's still as low as possible
I wonder if it's a bad idea to push the car before it gets to around 240 or so...

Second, and that's the really really really annoying part: M mode switches gears on its own!!!!! WTF, i have you in manual coz i want to down shift and upshift myself. im coming into a wide corner that going in 5th gear, i want to come out of it and be in 3rd gear, so in the middle of the corner it shifts down for me, so when i thought i was shifting into 3rd, it shifted into 2nd

just ranting. it's so annoying, i hate auto, i hate auto, cant stand it, i fucking hate auto

okay im coo now
I'm not reading the entire thread, but I have no idea why you would say the car heats up slow. Oil temp really isn't a good gauge of "it's ready to beat" either. It's more of oil pressure (which isn't shown), you can start to drive "normal" when the temperature of the oil is where the oil pressure levels out (no car that I've driven has ANYTHING warm in 3 minutes, water or oil). Since it was noted you drove a G35 gauge less, I can say from having a 350Z that the oil pressure was on the high said for at least 10 minutes, which is where the danger lies. Cool oil isn't dangerous, its' the pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #70
jbttum3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i coupe 6MT

Garage List
2007 e92 335i  [0.00]
I've had 2 of the Step 335s as loaner cars and they shift on their own in the M-shift mode. You should be able to hold whatever gear you want no matter what your throttle position is but it won't let you. I would go to pass people on the highway @ 70-80mph and the thing would slam down into 3rd or 4th instead of holding the gear. Always get a manual....always be in complete control of your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
based on my own experience of running manuals and the step, it would ONLY have shifted down if the engine and gearbox felt the car was being pushed in too high of a gear same way that the car will ONLY change up if the needle is spanked into the red zone...

So without wanting to challenge you to a shifting duel or doubting your ability to change gear properly... question why your gearbox did what it did...

Are you sure you were in M and not just used the paddles to change whilst in D? 'cos they will step back to auto after a second or two.

SJ

SOLD!!! :-(Space Gray Metallic - Coral Red - 6MT - Sport - AA Exhaust - UR Catted Coated DP's - Procede V3.1 PnP - Stett CAI - BMW Group SSK - M-Tech Sides/Rear- OEM Aero Lip - GP 8500K Angels - Vorsteiner Boot Lid - Miro M6 Reps
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #71
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name
Norway
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

well of course the temp is going to rise slowly, not fast. it's not a dry sump it has turbos.

secondly, the auto only changes gears for you at redline, not below. atleast here in europe.

E92 335i coupe March 2007
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #72
3onDubs
You live by the sword...
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayerischeMW View Post
well of course the temp is going to rise slowly, not fast. it's not a dry sump it has turbos.

secondly, the auto only changes gears for you at redline, not below. atleast here in europe.
It also changes for you if your in too high of a gear and too low of a speed (i.e. if you are in "5" and you come to a stop, it will change for you)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #73
awdonpsi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbttum3 View Post
I've had 2 of the Step 335s as loaner cars and they shift on their own in the M-shift mode. You should be able to hold whatever gear you want no matter what your throttle position is but it won't let you. I would go to pass people on the highway @ 70-80mph and the thing would slam down into 3rd or 4th instead of holding the gear. Always get a manual....always be in complete control of your car.
"M-shift mode" can be accessed either in D or DS. In D, the car will begin to shift itself very quickly if you don't use it for several seconds. In DS mode, this has not happened to me, though I must admit I find little use for the paddles in the around-town driving that I do. I was impressed, however, that once while climbing a grade in DS mode, M6, and flooring it from low RPM the car actually bogged but did not downshift itself.

On the other hand, it will upshift no matter what mode you're in if you hit the rev limiter.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:14 PM   #74
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
Was it one of those dating service ad? Link me, i love reading those
dang, couldnt find it man
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #75
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Add'l proof that YOU CAN NOT DRIVE FOR SHIT!

Quote:

remind me NOT to follow you in your manual... no wonder the car is trying to drive for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy nico View Post
i dont think you will be anytime soon considering your a quarter of the world away

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
in a turn like your describing at least your supposed to be in second and power out...i don't have any shifting issues and neither have any professionals drivers...sure it an opinion...but the highly touted dsg system from audi and VW doesn't even compare to the zf in the 335 according to a major vw/audi journalist that makes his living testing and driving supped up vw's/audi's...and he LOVED the zf...so do all the people that have driven it for mags...some have gone on to say this might be the one bmw where the auto is better than the manual!!!!

remeber this is an opinion...but it sounds like your a true manual guy...why the hell did you buy an auto in the first place...go trade it in for a manual...dealers have them in stock now!!! what gives...why the rant?

you should have ranted about how pist you are about the fact you didn't get the manual...not knock practically the best auto out there!!! definitely better than the lexus audi, mercs, it's better than the auto in the s63 amg we have...and i have never had a problem with the zf shifting at the wrong time...in a turn you want it to be in second!!!! if you aren't maintaining the revs it will shift from third to 2nd!!!! you can't have it at 400rpms and in third!!! hello if it down shifted at ~ 2000 rpms i would say ok that's nuts!!! but in this case i think you are so livid cause you love the stick and choose the auto!!!! hey we all make mistakes!!!
it's not like a right turn, just some corner that i usually take at 50 mph every morning. today i felt like slowing down, then shifting into 3rd and picking up.... when i came OUT Of the turn i was at like 30 mph, that's when it down shifted so it threw off my shifting.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #76
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
okay let's see
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
wha?? to go to manual mode you have to go to D and then DS? Lets say you're crusing in D and want to go to manual mode. Don't you just pop it in DS and then hit the paddles to go to full manual mode?

i'm prolly not getting it, but a good reason is probably b/c i didnt read my manual all the way. lol
no, let's say i go in M mod after DS, then i want to go back to DS, i have to go back to D first, then flip it to DS. right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
i laugh so hard everytime i see your avitar man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Add'l proof that YOU CAN NOT DRIVE FOR SHIT!
Quote:

remind me NOT to follow you in your manual... no wonder the car is trying to drive for you...

i dont get it, why? ur telling me u change to the right gear every time you want to take a turn before the turn every day?? that's just horrible for your clutch. this is what i do, regular driving, no track, regular lazy days. i approach the turn breaking, go in neutral, or just depress the clutch, as i come out, blip gas to rev match, then engage the right gear whatever it is and go. im not in a track bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
well, no offense man, but U surprised me again. I could never imagine anyone with such a terrible absence of driving technique like switching gears in the middle of the corner to heel-toe
And the silent flyover through the corner on neutral or clutched...

Once again - no offense bro and sorry for my negative statements, but I used your posts as the basis for them. To be concrete - it's my assumption U are going through corners on too low RPM, based on your AT downshifting even if in M mode. That's (among others listed above) a bad habit not healthy for your car If you have such bad habits and U are doing this to a car which can't "defend" itself... I wouldn't buy a MT car from U, sorry.

Good luck with your sell and buy a performance driving training with your new MT as your first mod.
why not switch in the middle of corner?? again, im not tracking, daily driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Why on earth would you be on the clutch WHILE taking a turn? That is disaster waiting to happen man.
care to explain?? what disaster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K335i View Post
Wow. Care to explain why (and how) you heel-toe after a corner?
i dont recall saying after the corner, but like i explained above, coming out, blip gas engage gear and go, or i can be in neutral coming into the corner first, then blip gas, engage, and go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
Some people on this forum are unbelievable, aren't they?
Makes you wonder how/why they even drive such a car!
you can roll ur eyes all you want, you either say something that adds value or keep your comment, just coz it doesnt add any value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNorris View Post
Heel to toe after the corner. Now, that is funny!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #77
Panoz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Grey 335i ,Aero Kit

steptronic is quicker ...so i think this compensates the hassle.

Procede V4 , Catless DPs, Forge FMIC, Injen Intake, VK Oilcooler, Hartge Quads Exhaust, Modded CDV, Synapse BOV Kit, BMW Performance 335i SSK Kit, P3 vent boost gauge

Space Grey 335i -> See more pics HERE
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #78
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
okay let's see

no, let's say i go in M mod after DS, then i want to go back to DS, i have to go back to D first, then flip it to DS. right?

i dont get it, why? ur telling me u change to the right gear every time you want to take a turn before the turn every day?? that's just horrible for your clutch. this is what i do, regular driving, no track, regular lazy days. i approach the turn breaking, go in neutral, or just depress the clutch, as i come out, blip gas to rev match, then engage the right gear whatever it is and go. im not in a track bro

i dont recall saying after the corner, but like i explained above, coming out, blip gas engage gear and go, or i can be in neutral coming into the corner first, then blip gas, engage, and go.

you can roll ur eyes all you want, you either say something that adds value or keep your comment, just coz it doesnt add any value.

ahhhhh okok that part i get. dun worry man. lets say you no one picks up your lease, by the time your lease is up, the m3 will have been out for a couple years so there will be no markup and you'll be able to get some good deals and BAM you're in a v8 manual. (p.s. i still want you front grills after you get rid of your e92. )
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #79
BayerischeMW
Man with No Name
Norway
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs View Post
It also changes for you if your in too high of a gear and too low of a speed (i.e. if you are in "5" and you come to a stop, it will change for you)
yeah, you're right of course. i didn't think of mentioning that.

my point was that the gear shouldn't change if you're at 5-6000 RPM unless you shift yourself.

E92 335i coupe March 2007
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #80
E90ice
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
okay let's see

I don't think anybody can say anything that adds value to a retarded thread like this.
I think anybody that shifts comming OUT of a corner or in neutral (and then complaints about the tranny) needs to sell their 335 and get a Corolla.

You are right, this car is not for you!
      01-17-2008, 04:46 PM   #81
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
i think an improvement to steptronic would be if
1. it never shifts into 1st gear while going over 10 mph
2. it gives u some sort of visual indication that it's about to shift for you
3. if you can switch directly between DS and M modes
4. shifts automatically to 1st gear if you are at 0 mph
and according to you guys
5. if someone else drives it other than me
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #82
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

The Step will not shift on its own with proper technique in M mode:

1) Auto downshifts can occur if you engage the kick down button. It takes a few tries to get the feel, but you can floor the car without engaging kick down. Personally, I would like to see this one change...kick down button should have no effect while in M.

2) If you are so far outside of safe parameters that the car down shifted for you, then thank it for saving your tranny or engine.

3) As a matter of driving technique, down shifting should occur before a corner, whether you are heel and toeing a manual or using Step paddles.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #83
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Without reading the 4 pages, I'm sure it's already been said.

The temp rises slowly because it's the oil temp and not the water temp.
I'm extremely glad that the oil doesn't get 250 degrees F in 3 minutes. That would be bad!

Second, That's why I got a manual!

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #84
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ice View Post
I don't think anybody can say anything that adds value to a retarded thread like this.
I think anybody that shifts comming OUT of a corner or in neutral (and then complaints about the tranny) needs to sell their 335 and get a Corolla.

You are right, this car is not for you!
Off to corolla dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:51 PM   #85
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
The Step will not shift on its own with proper technique in M mode:

1) Auto downshifts can occur if you engage the kick down button. It takes a few tries to get the feel, but you can floor the car without engaging kick down. Personally, I would like to see this one change...kick down button should have no effect while in M.

2) If you are so far outside of safe parameters that the car down shifted for you, then thank it for saving your tranny or engine.

3) As a matter of driving technique, down shifting should occur before a corner, whether you are heel and toeing a manual or using Step paddles.
even in regular driving? coz that's extra wear on your clutch at higher revs
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #86
LODOSS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 335 E92

Sounds like you just have to get used to it and learn to drive the car like you are on the track when you want it to perform like it is on a track.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #87
K335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Switching gears in the middle of a corner disrupts the drivetrain and chassis, which can cause you to lose control of your car if you are at or near the limits of adhesion. It doesn't matter if you're on a track or not - if you are driving agressively, shifting mid-corner is a very bad idea. Speaking of bad ideas, driving agressively through corners without understanding how to brake, shift, transition, maintain throttle, and accelerate after apex is another one.

Quote:
Clearly you've done this before and it works for you, but it's definitely not optimal and is unsafe. Cornering in neutral means you no longer have any linkage to your drive wheels, and that means you cannot feather the throttle to make minor weight shifting adjustments. The only thing you can do in neutral is slam on the brakes in case something goes wrong, and if you do that mid-corner, your chances of oversteering and spinning out greatly increase due to the immediate forward transition of weight.

But hey, in my years of track driving, I never read the chapter about heel-toe shifting mid or post-corner or blipping and engaging after apexing, so what do I know?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 05:00 PM   #88
K335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3

Quote:
even in regular driving? coz that's extra wear on your clutch at higher revs
Your auto does not have a clutch. And proper downshifting (read: rev-matching) will not wear out the clutch [on a manual car] regardless of where you are in the rev-band. Believe it or not, basic track principles apply to regular driving and can even make you a better driver.
Appreciate 0