E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Confused by taillight problem.

08-28-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
ptemomo
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 M3 AW

Confused by taillight problem.

Good day all,

When i was driving home last night somebody warned me that my rear taillights were off. Thought it was weird as i always keep the lights on auto but they were indeed off.

So this morning i had a look around. All the bulbs are working and all other lights are working but the taillights in either auto or on. I got the taillight to turn on with the unlock function, but it is intermittent. Some time it does not work.

Wire harness looks fine and so are the connectors on the bulb holders. Any other ideas come to mind? Just would like to investigate more before heading to the mechanic. I dont know how long the problem as been there as i barely drive the car at night.

For a 2009 E90 M3 Btw

Thanks

Fred
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Fred
I don't know what the unlock feature is but if your harness is good and your bulbs are good (also verify that you have power using a VOM) then that only leaves the footwell module (FRM). I can't imagine why your FRM would act up but with the light bulbs are good and nothing looks amiss that is my only suggest. Have the FRM checked for a problem with a good code reader....
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 05:30 PM   #3
ptemomo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Fred
I don't know what the unlock feature is but if your harness is good and your bulbs are good (also verify that you have power using a VOM) then that only leaves the footwell module (FRM). I can't imagine why your FRM would act up but with the light bulbs are good and nothing looks amiss that is my only suggest. Have the FRM checked for a problem with a good code reader....
Thanks for the reply. Would bmwhat app be good good enough to find all codes?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
Good day all,

When i was driving home last night somebody warned me that my rear taillights were off. Thought it was weird as i always keep the lights on auto but they were indeed off.

So this morning i had a look around. All the bulbs are working and all other lights are working but the taillights in either auto or on. I got the taillight to turn on with the unlock function, but it is intermittent. Some time it does not work.

Wire harness looks fine and so are the connectors on the bulb holders. Any other ideas come to mind? Just would like to investigate more before heading to the mechanic. I dont know how long the problem as been there as i barely drive the car at night.

For a 2009 E90 M3 Btw

Thanks

Fred
What harness looks fine?
The typical failure is in the harness on the right hand side of the trunk at the hinge.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2015, 10:13 PM   #5
ptemomo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
What harness looks fine?
The typical failure is in the harness on the right hand side of the trunk at the hinge.
Yup, that's the one I looked at. Looked fine as far as I could see. Just very confusing so far.
Appreciate 0