E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Expecting less than perfect standard of repair - how to "look"

01-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Wingco
Private
Rep
Drives: VW CC GT (2013MY)

Expecting less than perfect standard of repair - how to "look"

My 320d was in a side-impact accident recently here in the UK in the snow - unfortunately it will be repaired by a bodyshop approved by the insurance company (which I expect will mean one with low rates).
The impact was severe enough to fire off the curtain airbags, and cause £7k damage, but the car is still worth £19k so it's a bit of a no-brainer for my employer and insurance company to repair it, given the cost of repair vs. value. Personally, I'd rather it was a write-off as I now face the prospect of getting back a less-than perfect car, most likely creaks & rattles that were not there before, doors not shutting like they are meant to etc, which I'll have for another 2 years... I know I can continue to reject it until it is right, but they're never the same.
Unfortunately it's a company car, so it's not as if I can sell it right away and change.

Funny thing is, I am not too concerned about the structural side of the repair - I have a weird belief that that will be OK. My main concern is the standard of paintwork. As I'm no expert, I'm worried that when it is dropped back at my workplace (it's being repaired 250 miles away!), whatever the light conditions, I will not be able to spot any swirls or holograms that the repairer may leave (assuming of course that it's going to be less than exemplary standard of workmanship....), as it could be caked-up with polish/wax that might initially mask such things.
I've been on the E90 post forums since getting the car 18 months ago, and visit the detailing section and see the state of some of the paintwork before and after some of the talented guys out there have worked their magic. Indeed, most cars' paintwork is better than when it left the factory and then had the dealers "wreck" it at pdi stage....
What would the experts on this forum suggest? How should I look out for this when it's brought back?
I know the insurance company will "warrant" the repairs, and anything I'm not happy with I can get them to sort, but the prospect of much "back & forth" until I'm satisfied is beginning to tick me off (and it's not even back yet!!).
      01-31-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I can certainly understand your expectations and would offer the following.

See if you can get a hold of a Brinkmann Dual Xenon light and some ONR wash. I would try to wash a section of the repair with the wash and see if it removes any fillers. That or some isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber towel. Then inspect it thoroughly with the light to see if you get any imperfections you're not happy with.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
      02-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

^ tell the repair place you intend to do such a thing BEFORE they send it back to you. That way you at least SOUND like you know what you're talking about and they just MIGHT do a little better job.
Appreciate 0