E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Dyno

01-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #67
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaji335i View Post
Just ignore LACA335i, he has been known to show his on many occasions on this forum, latest being banned from a vendors dyno. I wouldn't go as far as saying he represents the feelings of the people on this forum. Congrats on the Dinan tune, looks great and numbers seem right in line with their marketing numbers and other Dinan customers on this forum.

Enjoy your ride.

har har , i never being banned from any vendor dyno. WHo say i was banned. Please get your information correct before you telling people vendor banned me from dyno service.

All i said was " is it worth it to pay 2K for little gain of Power" because you got reflash "DINAN" ...
      01-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #68
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Nice results Eric.

I really like the torque curve of the Dinan flash.
I like a "camel's hump back" look to the torque curve.

316 rwhp
350 rwtq

On SAE is pretty darn good.
On STD would probably be

~322 rwhp
~358 rwtq

Once again, as many suspected, very close in power to the PROcede v1.47 in power output (just a bit less in torque than the v1.47 but that's understandable since the Dinan has a bit less boost).

Glad you like the decision you made and enjoy the extra power and smoothness.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 11:34 PM   #69
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
tell me somone mr smart guy.,.

Tell me what procede v2.0.2 gain before and after OEM stock. (WHP) / Torque
Tell me what Turbo Tuner Gain before and after OEM stock. (WHP) / torque
Tell me what XEDE gain before and after oem stock. (WHP) / torque
Tell me what Rdsport gain before and after oem stock. (WHP) / torque
Tell me what DInan gain before and after OEM Stock (WHP) / Torque

Maybe im off a little bit on the WHP and torque before and after OEM stock on each of the Piggyback chip offer to us.

Here is the question is it worth to get dinan just to gain a little bit.
EVen TT piggyback make the same WHP and Torque as DInan . TT only cost like 500. .. TT so far does not have issue unlike procede . However, TT only make little of power than PRocede v2.0.2. I still love my PRocede.
The more you talk the more you sound like ass that has something to prove. What did you not understand about my last comments as it seems to be over your head.

BTW, how does someone get banned from a dyno shop.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2008, 11:38 PM   #70
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
The more you talk the more you sound like ass that has something to prove. What did you not understand about my last comments as it seems to be over your head.

BTW, how does someone get banned from a dyno shop.

Orb
my bad .. i was refering to another dude comment . .. regarding to vendor banned me. someone name starting kaji335i
      01-07-2008, 11:55 PM   #71
san~man
Tired
Rep
Drives: BMW-less

Quote:
only 316 whp.. u got to be a joke on a dinan reflash. for 2000 = not worth it.

Even Turbo turner make that much of power. it only cost like 500 Bucks.

Even with Terry Juice Box 2. it only cost 400.. about 340= 80 whp gain.

Even with PRocede v2.0.2 i think it would be 350 whp = 90 whp gain

procede is about 1700 with couple issue come with it

WIth Terry juice box2 400 + exhaust borla system = 1000 + 350 BMC air filter. -= 1750 .. u get about 360 whp - 100 whp gain.
Gotta love how he comes up with these figures
      01-08-2008, 12:00 AM   #72
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by san~man View Post
Gotta love how he comes up with these figures
it was base on some people dyno chart and vendor "advertist: number
      01-08-2008, 01:00 AM   #73
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

laca why dont you find us some before and after dynos making over 51whp more than stock with just a tune.

I dont think the jb makes 50 whp over stock.You are looking at the 316 and thinking its not making that much power.This car on THIS dyno made 316whp and could of made 340whp on another.

Since you know some much I cant believe you missed the BEFORE dyno showing what this same car made.The car made 51whp more on the same dyno same conditions,same gas....That is the only thing that matters is what the gains are from stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #74
ear997s
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post
Nice results Eric.

I really like the torque curve of the Dinan flash.
I like a "camel's hump back" look to the torque curve.

316 rwhp
350 rwtq

On SAE is pretty darn good.
On STD would probably be

~322 rwhp
~358 rwtq

Once again, as many suspected, very close in power to the PROcede v1.47 in power output (just a bit less in torque than the v1.47 but that's understandable since the Dinan has a bit less boost).

Glad you like the decision you made and enjoy the extra power and smoothness.
Here is the graph with CF: STD 5 and A/F for those of you who care to see. Again the car is an '07 335i 6MT with Dinan Flash, factory oil cooler, 93 Shell Octane.

Take care,

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #75
Kelvin1000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition MT Hoc

AGAIN and even more evident this time.

THOSE ARE GREAT NUMBERS!!!

Congratulations! and thanks for posting corrected STD 5 numbers.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #76
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

A friend of mine spent over $8000 trying to get 300 whp on his e46 M3 and failed! So spending $2000 to get in the range of 320 whp while retaining a warranty of sorts really doesn't sound so bad. My problem with Dinan is not the cost, it is that they were too late.

If I purchased a 335 today the Dinan reflash would be at the top of my list.
      01-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #77
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

In regard to throttle response, it does not much matter to me how far down one pushes the pedal, it is the ease of control of throttle response. So, for Eric, Orb, Shadyg, & Shiv, how easy is it to modulate power with the Dinan? Say for example during power oversteer slides (drifting)? And for Shiv, how does it compare in this regard to the PROcede? Two factors should affect throttle response, one being the range of pedal movement to power -- an off-on switch compared to a slow rheostat -- and the second factor being the temporal lag between moving the pedal and power. The higher boost level means more variability between off boost and on boost, and that can be difficult to modulate.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:22 AM   #78
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
In regard to throttle response, it does not much matter to me how far down one pushes the pedal, it is the ease of control of throttle response. So, for Eric, Orb, Shadyg, & Shiv, how easy is it to modulate power with the Dinan? Say for example during power oversteer slides (drifting)? And for Shiv, how does it compare in this regard to the PROcede? Two factors should affect throttle response, one being the range of pedal movement to power -- an off-on switch compared to a slow rheostat -- and the second factor being the temporal lag between moving the pedal and power. The higher boost level means more variability between off boost and on boost, and that can be difficult to modulate.
Eric thanks for the revised dyno using STD 5 looks like its about 12 whp more and 14 rwtq more than the Dinan Car tested by Shiv using the same STD 5 (not sure if that was an octane difference).
So with STD 5 you are seeing ~+53 RWHP and ~+79 RWTQ. nice.

Stressdoc, that is a great question, unfortunately I don't have enough info to speculate on this. Over the last 2 weeks throttle response has continued to improve for me, which is a combo of me getting familiar with the new power and the ECU learning. Last night I drove in my buddy's stock 335i 6mt to dinner and reminded me how jerky that car is stock (or how smooth the Dinan Flash makes the car, depending on your perspective). With a quick flash the car changes and it almost feels like the car went on a diet and dropped 300-400 lbs. I don't understand why BMW did not just provide the car as it is post-flash (ignoring the obvious M3 competition issue).

Last edited by Bubbles; 01-08-2008 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #79
e.n335
Austria
Rep
Drives: e93 ///M3 DCT, 07/2009

You can say what you want, I like the Dinan tune. Nice curves, nice numbers. Everybody who has this tune has bought something exciting .

- Eugen
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #80
kaji335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
har har , i never being banned from any vendor dyno. WHo say i was banned. Please get your information correct before you telling people vendor banned me from dyno service.

All i said was " is it worth it to pay 2K for little gain of Power" because you got reflash "DINAN" ...
If you actually read Ed's post from SP-Power he clearly states that you are not welcome back to their dyno or shop for that matter. Learn to read.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=70

Full thread here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=103798&page=4

Maybe some people feel that having a third party warranty is better than having more power? You seem to miss the fact that not everyone wants the most power they can achieve and have other priorities when it comes to tuning.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 02:18 PM   #81
orientblue3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RIP 335, Now P30 C63

Quote:
If you actually read Ed's post from SP-Power he clearly states that you are not welcome back to their dyno or shop for that matter. Learn to read.

Full thread here:

Maybe some people feel that having a third party warranty is better than having more power? You seem to miss the fact that not everyone wants the most power they can achieve and have other priorities when it comes to tuning.
owned
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #82
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:

Full thread here:

**flush***flush LACA335i credibility down the toilet** Hopefully this will temper your Dinan-Bashing. (After all, I am a foolish optimistic)
      01-08-2008, 04:28 PM   #83
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
Eric thanks for the revised dyno using STD 5 looks like its about 12 whp more and 14 rwtq more than the Dinan Car tested by Shiv using the same STD 5 (not sure if that was an octane difference).
So with STD 5 you are seeing ~+53 RWHP and ~+79 RWTQ. nice.

Stressdoc, that is a great question, unfortunately I don't have enough info to speculate on this. Over the last 2 weeks throttle response has continued to improve for me, which is a combo of me getting familiar with the new power and the ECU learning. Last night I drove in my buddy's stock 335i 6mt to dinner and reminded me how jerky that car is stock (or how smooth the Dinan Flash makes the car, depending on your perspective). With a quick flash the car changes and it almost feels like the car went on a diet and dropped 300-400 lbs. I don't understand why BMW did not just provide the car as it is post-flash (ignoring the obvious M3 competition issue).
They were considering it back in 2005/6. My guess is that the host of other performance upgrades that they thought were necessary in a car with that much power (brakes, engine cooling, LSD, transmissions, clutch, ...) priced it out of the upscale 3-series luxury niche. I hoped that they would release a special M-sport/zhp version, but that was not to be. It would have killed the remaining E46 M3 sales as well, although that was probably not a big consideration.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #84
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
pure guess......the high rpms ranges are pushing the efficiency range of the stock turbo's, especially when you up the boost w/ a tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyg View Post
I think that is a good guess, after all the car is constrained by the size of the turbos.

OP: What gear did you do the pulls?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Yes, but at a higher power/airflow level. Not at 315-320whp.

Shiv
Corect me if I have this wrong, but the theory is that at stock power outputs there is less of a dive because you are further from the limits of the turbos, but as you tune her up it means the turbos are much closer to their breathing limits especially when they are being worked even harder at the upper revs? Am I even close?

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2008, 07:48 PM   #85
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
They were considering it back in 2005/6. My guess is that the host of other performance upgrades that they thought were necessary in a car with that much power (brakes, engine cooling, LSD, transmissions, clutch, ...) priced it out of the upscale 3-series luxury niche. I hoped that they would release a special M-sport/zhp version, but that was not to be. It would have killed the remaining E46 M3 sales as well, although that was probably not a big consideration.
I agree with you, but many drivers of unmodded 335i don't know what they are missing. It's a shame.
      01-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #86
hipvspec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: you crazy

thanks for posting!!
      01-08-2008, 11:30 PM   #87
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:

The throttle response has change in two ways. The amount of travel the peddle moves and the how accelerations of the peddle effect boost. The Dinan peddle response is less of an on/off switch for the first 40% of its stroke. The stock car would have some boost lag or stubble forward if not modulated carefully and I know we all have it. The response of the Dinan throttle response is just a smoother so you don’t feel any lag and the turbos progressive ramps up not matter how hard or fast you stomp on the throttle. I found how good the remapped throttle response was in the first few days while going through some twisty road section. I was jumping on the throttle earlier and harder than I could with the stock car. Drifting the car is fairly easy very easy to control them with a fair amount of precision and with confidence. After a few days you do get accustom to throttle response.
You just start pressing the throttle peddle a high rate of speed which also effects boost response a lot. There is no tip toeing around anymore. In short, the response for the first 40% of the throttle response has more travel and you can move you foot with a lot more speed. It is just different, and far as I’m concern it is better because I can modulate or spool the turbo harder than stock car given the give the correct input.

The throttle response between 40-65% tightens up a lot and start pulling hard while rolling or stomping on the throttle. Anything above 65% throttle just pull hard in all cases.

I think once a few of the people who got the tune start speeding up on the throttle input a bit more then they will be surprised.

Orb
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #88
elguevon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 640i Grand Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk View Post
now if only we can get some more warranty questions answered/service/lease return, i think this will help a whole lot mor people.
+1,000,000 Hope we can find answers before Spring.
Appreciate 0