E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding question

05-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
ntpcrew13
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Arctic e90 330i

Garage List
Coding question

What amperage should the battery charger be at if I'm completely coding the car. I just don't want the car to die before I'm finished coding.

Thanks in advance.

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Dziqsek_
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: e91 320d

For coding it doesnt matter cause you can do it with just igniotion on andnit takes couple of minutes, if you want to update your ar sftware get yourself power supply
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
GenePoole
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

I have a 50 amp power supply with an amp meter. With ignition on and everything settled down it draws about 15-20 amps so I would expect 20 amp to be the minimum to maintain a constant voltage. It will draw 40-45 amps when first connected and ignition first turned on and settles down in about 5 minutes or so. It will probably take longer to settle with a power supply with less total amperage than mine. Make sure it's regulated or it'll probably smoke itself.

As ******* says, you don't really need one for coding; only for programming where a single session can take hours. You'll want a constant voltage that whole time.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I have a 5amp Deltran Battery charger. If I charge the car overnight, and leave it plugged in while coding, I can spend all day going through modules and not have the battery go flat at all. Remember to turn off your DRLs, and if your doors are going to be open, the interior lights. The main reason for having an actual power supply is if you would be trying to flash module firmware. I am no where near trying that, and probably won't ever do it, just too risky.

You can, if you go quickly, code a car without any power at all, presuming the battery is in good shape and you are only spending less than an hour or so.
Appreciate 0