E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Traffic stopped for license cover...WHAT?!

08-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #45
badassfajita
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 e70 3.5i

If you think its all about money, I can't blame you. But THINK also about when the cops actually try to catch the "bad guys" and the potential havoc if veiling a license plate was legal.

Stop whining about this and pull the damn thing off. Worry about more important things.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #46
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
DING, DING, DING, DING, DING! WE HAVE A WINNAH!
And that's exactly my point. Revenue, plain and simple. Thank you Chas.
You got it. Running red lights is a very safe driving habit. If only everybody would do it.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #47
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
You got it. Running red lights is a very safe driving habit. If only everybody would do it.
I'm not supporting red light running and in fact support the use of red light cameras. I just stated that the reason they don't allow covers on the plates it to ensure they get the number and the revenue from the camera.
      08-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #48
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

I plan to swing by Autozone to pick up a Smoked plate cover. Hopefully it's not Illegal in Florida. OP would you mind showing us a phot of your tag? I want to see what it looks like on our black e90.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #49
KeepitClassy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW LCI e90

Quote:
Ok, so I'm bouncing off to work around 8:30PM and have been doing so for over 3 years now. I was actually being a good boy that night and wasn't getting too cozy with my accelerator, only going about 70(speed limit's 65) when suddenly "whoop, whoop", damnit a trooper! Shit. The officer walks over, flashlight all in my face, knee against my door, hand conveniently placed between his buckle and sidearm as he's leaning towards me, "How you doin' sir, know why I stopped you?". "Officer, I have no idea and was just about to ask you that", I responded. "License plate" he said. "License plate? What's wrong with it. Damn, did it fall off?!". "Nope. License plate cover, can't see your license plate". "What do you mean? I can see them just fine", I retorted. "Nope, I have to see them from 60 feet away. What you have is illegal". "Illegal? But I just bought them at Auto Zone. If they're illegal to have, why isn't it illegal to sell?". "I don't make the laws sir", he said.

Anyways, I ended up not getting a ticket and he asked me to be sure to remove them when I got a chance. I've yet to do so. I live in Massachusetts and I have a lot of problems with this state. From politics, to taxation, to welfare, to my guns. I mother%&$#'n hate this state and can't wait to head north to NH. This incident just added fuel to the fire. Stopped for a silly ass license plate cover, really? Never mind all the degenerates running about wreaking havoc and being a complete blight on society, let me stop this guy. Who else or what other states suffer this kind of ridiculous bs? Next thing they're going to tell me is a lowered vehicle's illegal or my wheels are too big. Sorry guys, I'm not trying to be a crybaby, but shit like this gets on my damn nerves. Can we all get a little something in return for the huge amount of taxes we pay?!
Show us a picture of your tag. (:
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #50
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Holy hell in here in the Florida Panhandle the rear plates are completely covered with carriers, luggage you name it and not once in 13 years have I seen any law enforcement pull anyone over for that.

Different locations different interpretations...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #51
SLOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfriceman View Post
I will not add anything to my car that gives any law enforcement agency a reason to pull me over. Who needs the hassle, I read so many threads about folks getting pulled over for tinted this, blacked out that, colored lights out of DOT compliance, etc.

All you do is make yourself a target and you have no leg to stand on and bitching about will never make a difference. Bottom line, all it does is draw unwanted attention.

-Kevin
Agree. Don't give them a reason to stop you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2013, 10:52 PM   #52
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

I really didn't think I'd get this much of a response, I was just venting. I know what the right thing to do is, but I can be a fool sometimes and this is one of those times...at least 'til I finally get nailed for it and have to open my wallet to pay a fine. That'll teach me. Some might have gotten the impression that my whole aim at getting this cover was to dodge red light cams or have the ability to deflect radar guns, but no that wasn't it, I just hated how my license plates drew my eyes to them. It was about aesthetics and having the plates blend in with the rest of my car. Obviously that seems to be a no-no, but whatever, to each his own. Anyways, continue to discuss if you like. Hell, have fun with it, that's why we all come to the boards right? Over and out.
      08-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #53
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
I actually didn't get fined. He let me off, which was nice enough, but I haven't removed it and don't plan on it. I'm a rebel!
So why are you whining like a little girl about soviet MASS then ? It's all about money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that you where NOT fined.

Rebel lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 08:24 AM   #54
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Yeah you think thats bad buddy? I walked outside of my house one morning (residential area) and there was a cop outside of my parked car writing me a ticket for my plate covers...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #55
eradicate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
Holy hell in here in the Florida Panhandle the rear plates are completely covered with carriers, luggage you name it and not once in 13 years have I seen any law enforcement pull anyone over for that.

loll good ol florida, my sh#t gets so dirty sometimes i can barely see it and my license plate cover is smoked too.. lol

come to FL.. where you can bring your guns, lift your car, smoke/blackout your lights, and use the stand your ground law

+ 2007 BMW 328i Sapphire Black Metallic / Terra Dakota
+ DEPO Projectors + Muffler Delete + Grille Blackout + Coded + De Badged
+ Front Splitters + Inovit Thrust 18x8/9 + H&R Touring Kit
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #56
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by miringrains View Post
Yeah you think thats bad buddy? I walked outside of my house one morning (residential area) and there was a cop outside of my parked car writing me a ticket for my plate covers...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #57
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

Yeah... mass sucks, got a ticket a month ago for axcessive acceleration, on a on ramp to a highway, i pushed it to 55( the speed limit) and let off and he pulled me over
      08-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #58
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicate
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post

loll good ol florida, my sh#t gets so dirty sometimes i can barely see it and my license plate cover is smoked too.. lol

come to FL.. where you can bring your guns, lift your car, smoke/blackout your lights, and use the stand your ground law
Just make sure you're patient enough to put up with hoards of retirees in the left lane with nowhere to be and out of state snowbirds with no concern for the rules of the road!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #59
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
Yeah... mass sucks, got a ticket a month ago for axcessive acceleration, on a on ramp to a highway, i pushed it to 55( the speed limit) and let off and he pulled me over
Trying to find more info about that - what's the section and act? Also, will this raise your insurance? If so, you may want to consider getting an attorney, or contest the ticket yourself to at least get it dropped...

I would argue that it was on a ramp going onto the highway, traffic was light, there were no pedestrians around, etc. and you were in full control of the vehicle at all times... seems to me that excessive acceleration is an opinion and not a fact
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #60
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Have a summer place on the Cape so used to making that trek but with zero issues...If you hate Ma. Do not consider moving West to CT. Trust me.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #61
Titanium3er
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i, '03 Kawa Z1000

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML
Have a summer place on the Cape so used to making that trek but with zero issues...If you hate Ma. Do not consider moving West to CT. Trust me.
Most of the northeast is a glorified police state.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #62
Be Awesome 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans 335i M-Sport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-16 CHIEF View Post
Yep, any tinted one especially. Me, I just said F it and refuse to run a front tag. No tickets yet!
yup....me too
      08-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #63
moonsin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynnnj1977 View Post
It happened with me once. It was with dealer plate frame!!!
same thing happened with my friend as well..cop told him the frame shouldn't cover any writing on the license plate (in your case "garden state")

I also learned my lesson 10 years ago when i got pulled over for having clear license plate cover and got hit with a $50 ticket. (smashed that cover to pieces when i got home )

'08 BSM//SB PROGRESSION THREAD
Bilstein/Eibach Pro-Kit, ACS Style Roof Spoiler, trunk lip spoiler,Aero lip, blackout grill/reflector, 19" ST8, Lightwerkz Custom Headlights, Muffler Delete, coded etc etc
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #64
WickedB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
+1 I got pulled over and a "Warning" one time for "Rapid acceleration"... never actually broke the speed limit on a half deserted road...wtf.

Tinted plate covers are illegal in MI but not really enforced.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #65
F-16 CHIEF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Awesome 335i View Post
yup....me too
Sweet! A Roanoke person. I work on the Salem Roanoke border.
      08-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #66
deathbunny
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrakos View Post
Trying to find more info about that - what's the section and act? Also, will this raise your insurance? If so, you may want to consider getting an attorney, or contest the ticket yourself to at least get it dropped...

I would argue that it was on a ramp going onto the highway, traffic was light, there were no pedestrians around, etc. and you were in full control of the vehicle at all times... seems to me that excessive acceleration is an opinion and not a fact
Unfortunately for laws that are opinion based the cops opinion wins almost every time. I got a ticket for going to fast for conditions one time for an accident that was not even my fault. The judge told me that it was up to the cops discretion and that even going under the speed limit could be considered going to fast for conditions. These laws are on the books to let cops write tickets when they feel you are doing something you shouldn't be but don't have any measurable way to prove it.

Last edited by deathbunny; 08-08-2013 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0