E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Misfire 1,2&3

07-26-2019, 11:02 PM   #1
dane_c21
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Angry Misfire 1,2&3

Hey guys, before I start, yes I've done what I can to search other threads for a solution so if anyone finds a relevant thread, shoot me the link lol

Okay, now that's outta the way, I've got a misfire, rough idle at times, no power once the code rethrows itself after starting the car again. and a CEL of course, that I've had scanned. Its giving me error codes p0300, p0301, p0302 and p0303 for a misfire on cylinder 1,2,3, an error for a "random misfire", and also codes 10700,10701,1072, and 10703.

I've replaced all 6 spark plugs with NGK iridium plugs, I've replaced all 6 coil packs, I've replaced the crankshaft sensor, and also both the intake and exhaust camshaft sensors. I've erased the codes but then CEL comes back within 1 minute of driving.

Someone please help me.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #2
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

10700 converted to hex is 29CC which is the same misfire cyl #1 that you've already got from OBDII

Could be injectors. Odd that it all three only on bank 1, tho
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #3
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

I know this may not be entirely what you're after, but it's quite thorough and might have some info that can provide insight into your issue.

It sounds like you're pretty comfortable working on your car. Do you have a scan tool of your own? Given how your post is worded I wasn't sure. If not, might be worth picking up a Foxwell scanner or cable for INPA.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

https://us.autologic.com/news/bmw-va...and-diagnosing
      07-27-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane_c21 View Post
...CEL of course, that I've had scanned. Its giving me error codes p0300, p0301, p0302 and p0303...I've replaced all 6 spark plugs with NGK iridium plugs, I've replaced all 6 coil packs, I've replaced the crankshaft sensor, and also both the intake and exhaust camshaft sensors. I've erased the codes but then CEL comes back within 1 minute of driving. Someone please help me. [HELP: 1) Keep all the parts you removed as they are almost certainly still good. 2) Post for advice BEFORE throwing parts. 3) Get a cheap P-code reader (~ $35 on Amazon) so you can do some Diagnosis yourself, or with help from the forum. 4) Consider installing INPA if you have a Windows Laptop: $45 for K+DCAN Cable to connect to OBD II Socket, and FREE software download gives you Dealer-level diagnostic capability. Above intended as Help vs. Snark ]
Welcome to the Forum!

There were changes in Electrical Systems (particularly fusebox layout) during the 2007 Model Year run, effective 3/1/2007, so you need to provide your Build Month/Year when posting. Info below is for "Later" 2007 models built after 3/1/2007 (3/2007 - 8/2007).

The 1st thing that suggests examination & testing is WIRING when all three Bank 1 (Cylinders 1,2,3) cylinders have consistent misfires. Here is the TIS circuit diagram for the coils on Late 2007 328i:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...nition/x7JApNv

NOTE: the front 3 coils, cylinders 1,2,3 have a common ground point: X6176 and if you click on that BLUE Component/ Connector ID#, you can see the following "Installation Location" where the Brown ground wires attach to the head:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e90-328i-lim/S8BHEJU

Injector issues can also cause "misfire" codes. A "misfire" as reported by DME Fault Memory and the SES light is NOT an electrical measurement of spark or coil activity, but is ACTUALLY momentary slowing of Crank Speed due to less power on Power Stroke of a cylinder as compared to that of cylinders BEFORE & AFTER in the firing order, as measured by Crankshaft Sensor Signals to, and computed by, the DME Module.

So here is the TIS circuit diagram for Late 2007 Injector Circuit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ection/x79f54L

I provide the Injector Circuit ONLY so you can make your own determination or tests of the likelihood of an injector issue. As you can see, there is no SINGLE connection that would cause injector fault on each of Bank 1 cylinders, so I would assess likelihood of injector fault as LOW in your case.

Please let us know what you find in inspecting/testing for continuity to ground with manipulation of Brown Groundwires in X6176 Ground connection.

If that Connector is NOT the cause of your issue, please give the ENTIRE history of Performance issues, Warning Lights, Fault Codes, and what caused you to replace the parts you have described. For example, if the SES light did NOT come on in 1st minute of operation BEFORE you changed plugs & coils, perhaps there is an issue with the way the coils are installed on the plugs, or the Coil Connectors are attached to the coils.

Attached is a pdf "E9x References" which contains links to many helpful sites, including TIS Online Service Manual, Bentley pdf download site, Fault Code Lookup, BimmerGeeks source for Cable & INPA/ISTA Software, BMW Manuals and Owner Registration for Recall Information, etc.

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 50 views)
Appreciate 0