E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > How can I get the HFS-3 kit to work with my Stett CP?

08-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: A metal box with a roundel

How can I get the HFS-3 kit to work with my Stett CP?

Just like the title says, I'm interested in running meth, but don't want to re-do my setup and switch to the Vishnu PWM kit.

I've also heard that the meth bungs on the HFS-3 kit won't fit the Stett CP?

Main reason for me to go with the HFS kit is the PWM nozzle. I don't think I would consider anything else as an option. As far as I know, the PWM kit is better than the PPS kits and all others as well........

Let me know what you guys think!

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

if the Aquamist nozzles dont fit the bungs welded on the Stett pipe, just take the pipe off and have it rewelded.

Aquamist is the shizzle....thats why Shivle changed his setup to use their parts. I'm running the HFS6 on my turbo M3 and love it.

make sure to get a nice short run after the FCM.

08-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What's FCM? Sorry I'm a total nooooob when it comes to meth....

How can rewelding fix the fitment issue? Please explain, I don't understand.....lol

Thanks!

'08 AW E90 335i
PROcede V5 | BMS DCI | RR DPs | ETS FMIC | FORGE DVs | Stett CP | Vanguard | PSS10
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

FCM is in that picture, its Aquamists Flow Control Module.

i'm assuming the 'not fitting' part of your statement has to do with their meth nozzles not being able to be used on the bung welded into the charge pipe. If thats the case just remove or block off whatever bung is on the charge pipe and have a new bung welded on to fit the aquamist jets.

bung - female piece that is permanent on the charge pipe
injector nozzle - what screws into the bung and injects meth

hope that helps.

I may be off on what you mean by not fitting.
      08-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

No you're right on about what I meant by 'not fitting'. So where would I find a meth bung that has the same diameter as the hfs nozzle? Or do I just drill a new hole that's the same diameter and screw on the nozzle? Lol I don't know what I'm talking about, excuse me!

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #6
cwn23
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

I would think aquamist would sell the bungs needed to complete your assembly of their specific nozzles
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:34 PM   #7
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstmx_ryder View Post
No you're right on about what I meant by 'not fitting'. So where would I find a meth bung that has the same diameter as the hfs nozzle? Or do I just drill a new hole that's the same diameter and screw on the nozzle? Lol I don't know what I'm talking about, excuse me!

TIA
If you use the Aquamist nozzle adapters (a screw in bung that the nozzle screws into), you existing bungs (1/8" NTP) will work. But you will want to run a tap through there a few more turns because the Aquamist nozzle adapters are slightly larger in diameter (but same thread pitch). FWIW, when we tap the charge pipes, we run almost the entire length of the tap in order to screw in the bung adapters.

Also, don't forget to install the nozzle adapters well upstream of the throttle body, preferably near the elbow upstream of the bypass valves. The last place you want them is just before the throttle body.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So how big of a difference are the Aquamist nozzles vs. the meth bungs on the Stett CP? I'm thinking probably not very much, since I can use the adaptors that you mentioned and utilize the current meth bungs?

Also, if I use the Aquamist adaptor, won't the nozzle not be able to go in as far, and therefore having the CP obstruct the spray pattern of the nozzle?

So by using the original placement of the Stett CP meth bungs, I will get less of a cooling effect and more octane? Vs. the other way around where I will get more cooling due to better atomization but less octane from meth? Am I getting this right?

TIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
If you use the Aquamist nozzle adapters (a screw in bung that the nozzle screws into), you existing bungs (1/8" NTP) will work. But you will want to run a tap through there a few more turns because the Aquamist nozzle adapters are slightly larger in diameter (but same thread pitch). FWIW, when we tap the charge pipes, we run almost the entire length of the tap in order to screw in the bung adapters.

Also, don't forget to install the nozzle adapters well upstream of the throttle body, preferably near the elbow upstream of the bypass valves. The last place you want them is just before the throttle body.

Shiv

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #9
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Shiv,

This is OT, but I just remembered that I never got an email back with the most current beta maps. Are you still collecting all the emails? Or should I email you again?

LOL, TJ my own thread......

TIA

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

You could also keep you current nozzles and just swap the rest..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #11
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't have a meth kit right now, so no nozzles, just bungs.....lol.

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:45 PM   #12
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Just adding to the conversation, the bungs on the Stett Charge Pipe are way too close to the throttle body to make effective use of methanol. The injection will not have sufficient time to atomize and effectively, will not cool the charge temps as effectively as if the nozzles were placed at the elbow location.

The Stett CP will work, just giving you some insight as a buddy of mine who used to have a 335i ran methanol with the Stett pipe didn't realize full benefit.
      08-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So how big of a difference are the Aquamist nozzles vs. the meth bungs on the Stett CP? I'm thinking probably not very much, since I can use the adaptors that you mentioned and utilize the current meth bungs?

Also, if I use the Aquamist adaptor, won't the nozzle not be able to go in as far, and therefore having the CP obstruct the spray pattern of the nozzle?

So by using the original placement of the Stett CP meth bungs, I will get less of a cooling effect and more octane? Vs. the other way around where I will get more cooling due to better atomization but less octane from meth? Am I getting this right?

TIA
You want the inside face of the Aquamist bung to sit flush in the inside of the charge pipe. In our charge pipe, we use a relatively thick walled aluminum. So we put the nozzle adapter directly in the pump (no weld on bung). And then screw the nozzle into it. The end result is flush fitment.

nozzle adapter screwed directly into pipe (with locktite)

nozzle screwed directly into nozzle adapter (finger tight plus 1/2 turn):

Inside few of nozzle:

The the standard nozzle placement in your Stett pipe, you will get poor cooling and poor octane due to cylinder imbalances.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #14
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Just adding to the conversation, the bungs on the Stett Charge Pipe are way too close to the throttle body to make effective use of methanol. The injection will not have sufficient time to atomize and effectively, will not cool the charge temps as effectively as if the nozzles were placed at the elbow location.

The Stett CP will work, just giving you some insight as a buddy of mine who used to have a 335i ran methanol with the Stett pipe didn't realize full benefit.
FUKC!!!! I bought the CP specifically for that reason, I didn't know it was not effective.....Thanks for the heads up though........sigh.

Quote:
You want the inside face of the Aquamist bung to sit flush in the inside of the charge pipe. In our charge pipe, we use a relatively thick walled aluminum. So we put the nozzle adapter directly in the pump (no weld on bung). And then screw the nozzle into it. The end result is flush fitment.

nozzle adapter screwed directly into pipe (with locktite)

nozzle screwed directly into nozzle adapter (finger tight plus 1/2 turn):

Inside few of nozzle:

The the standard nozzle placement in your Stett pipe, you will get poor cooling and poor octane due to cylinder imbalances.
Thanks for the pic and explanation! But how come cylinder imbalance comes into play now? I thought the placement of the bungs only affected the cooling vs. octane issue?

So why the F did Stett put the bungs there then? WTF!

Sounds like I might need to get rid of the CP and start over.....Really don't want to do that, AGAIN...

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
FUKC!!!! I bought the CP specifically for that reason, I didn't know it was not effective.....Thanks for the heads up though........sigh.

Thanks for the pic and explanation! But how come cylinder imbalance comes into play now? I thought the placement of the bungs only affected the cooling vs. octane issue?
With the bungs so close to the throttle body, the meth spray doesn't have enough time to vaporize, mix and spread evenly in the intake manifold. So you end up with some cylinders getting less/more meth volume than others. Hence the cylinder-to-cylinder imbalance.

Quote:
So why the F did Stett put the bungs there then? WTF!
Beats me. Lack of meth injection experience i'm guessing.

Quote:
Sounds like I might need to get rid of the CP and start over.....Really don't want to do that, AGAIN...
You could just drill and tap new holds more upstream. And leave the original meth bungs plugged. But you'd still be left with an unfortunately small diameter pipe (which also isn't ideal for atomization/distribution). It's the whole pay to play thing coming again to bite ya in the wallet

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:17 PM   #16
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Yeah we logged it back then, he had timing dropouts at 16.5 psi which was rectified by going with an 80/20 mix.

What we noticed most was IAT dropped, but it did so slowly and never as drastically as my setup which has the nozzle in the elbow location.

You can keep the stett pipe. Just use those screws it came with to close the bungs and get an elbow like the AR. Not 100% sure if the diameter is the same as the stett pipe though.
      08-01-2011, 11:28 PM   #17
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You could just drill and tap new holds more upstream. And leave the original meth bungs plugged. But you'd still be left with an unfortunately small diameter pipe (which also isn't ideal for atomization/distribution). It's the whole pay to play thing coming again to bite ya in the wallet

Shiv
Ya I agree on the pay to play mentality.....But never did I expect to pay TWICE before I even get some PLAY.....This is just like paying $20 twice for a lap dance and after paying $40, the stripper still has her outfit ON! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
Yeah we logged it back then, he had timing dropouts at 16.5 psi which was rectified by going with an 80/20 mix.

What we noticed most was IAT dropped, but it did so slowly and never as drastically as my setup which has the nozzle in the elbow location.

You can keep the stett pipe. Just use those screws it came with to close the bungs and get an elbow like the AR. Not 100% sure if the diameter is the same as the stett pipe though.
Ya I just happen to come across someone selling their AR meth elbow for $60. But like you said, I will need to see if they're the same diameter......Damn it!

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #18
cstmx_ryder
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So are there any CP out there that will fit the Aquamist PWM nozzles? Aside from the Vishnu CP.....

Stett also sells a nitrous elbow, but only has one bung, and I'm assuming that the size is the same as the ones on their CP......?

'08 AW E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #19
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Ya I agree on the pay to play mentality.....But never did I expect to pay TWICE before I even get some PLAY.....This is just like paying $20 twice for a lap dance and after paying $40, the stripper still has her outfit ON! LOL

Ya I just happen to come across someone selling their AR meth elbow for $60. But like you said, I will need to see if they're the same diameter......Damn it!
You can always cut the elbow off your stock charge pipe and install the AR elbow. You can always reuse the elbow if you need to go back to stock by getting a second worm clamp and putting it back on.

I personally bought a used stock charge pipe to install the elbow on and kept my original charge pipe intact as the charge pipe with methanol elbow will be reasonably easy to sell

You can sell the stett pipe for good money still
      08-02-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
Hey Shiv, I'm trying to get up to speed on meth and, since someone mentioned it here, I went and looked at the Stett elbow. Their description seems completely contradictory than what is being stated here.

Is the below just completely wrong?

Quote:
If you are running our charge pipe and using the bungs in it for your single or dual nozzle meth kit then you will want to add this nitrous elbow in order to mount your nitrous nozzle, because it is not ideal to mount the nitrous close to the meth. This elbow is not ideal for use with meth as it positions the nozzle too far from the throttle body which is not best for optimum meth performance. Unlike other products on the market, our nitrous elbow has only one bung instead of two crammed next to each other. Putting two nozzles that close together will not allow for proper atomization and can lead to lean/rich conditions or damaging backfires.

And don't get me wrong; this is just a simple question from someone who hasn't really started reading up on the subject yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #21
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Shiv and I agree on this subject. The Stett pipes bung placement is terrible for meth injection for the reasons specified in this thread. I have first hand experience with the pipe.
      08-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #22
ETS Michael
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Can you just cap the meth bung and put another one on the pipe down stream a bit, in the elbow that most people use? That is what I would do. You won't have to purchase another pipe that way.

You can get an 1/8 plug and then purchase another bung from Aquamist that fits correctly and put it in the desired location.

Michael
Appreciate 0