E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > *OFFICIAL Michigan Chat & Meet Thread*

01-19-2014, 12:54 AM   #1607
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
I still haven't gone yet. GF is in the hospital.

Anyways, just an update on my iDrive situation.. Took it to the dealer and I guess the CCC is faulty. Was hoping it would just be a software issue. About $1k after my SA plays with the numbers. Figured I would just have them do it, since it would be a new part, warranty, and newest software. Getting it done next Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:12 AM   #1608
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post
I still haven't gone yet. GF is in the hospital.

Anyways, just an update on my iDrive situation.. Took it to the dealer and I guess the CCC is faulty. Was hoping it would just be a software issue. About $1k after my SA plays with the numbers. Figured I would just have them do it, since it would be a new part, warranty, and newest software. Getting it done next Saturday.
Sorry to hear that, hopefully she gets better soon.

Are you sure it's only $1k for parts and labor? Sounds cheap compared to stories I've heard. Make sure you get a full estimate, might be worthwhile to consider the CIC upgrade which is still more but the CCC is not covered by CPO anyways.
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...ation-retrofit
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #1609
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zivyn View Post
Sorry to hear that, hopefully she gets better soon.

Are you sure it's only $1k for parts and labor? Sounds cheap compared to stories I've heard. Make sure you get a full estimate, might be worthwhile to consider the CIC upgrade which is still more but the CCC is not covered by CPO anyways.
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...ation-retrofit
http://www.bimmerretrofit.com/store/
Thanks, man.

Yes, I asked parts and labor. He broke it down for me. It would've been like just over $1200 parts and labor including tax. My SA is getting it down to like $950 before tax. I'll end up paying a bit over $1k after tax.

I did consider a CIC upgrade, but that's at least like $600-$700 more than I wanna spend. Parts are used, and if they somehow go out again I gotta pay out of pocket for another CIC, where going with my dealer I'd be covered for at least two years definitely, then some wiggle room of like another year after.

It's very tempting to upgrade, but I think I'd rather use that money for go fast parts. I kinda regret getting iDrive, CCC anyway. I thought it looked cool at first, but it's just a glorified radio. The nav is decent, but I know where I'm going more than half the time and rarely leave the state in my own car. Last year in November, I put over 2k miles on a company car in 6 days. (Drove to Myrtle Beach). It was a '13 Corvette GS in a 6MT with only about 1k miles when I got it. Broke it in nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #1610
nanceman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335is 6MT, 15 GTI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
Gotta love the Auto Show this year. New M3/M4 looking good.
Saw it on Thursday and saw it again yesterday, and I am really not a fan. It didn't have a single angle I thought it truly looked great. The M3 looked much better to me, but they're absolutely massive. Some work colleagues on Thursday who aren't that into cars, but not unknowledgable, thought the M4 was the replacement for the V10 M6 before I told them otherwise.

I really liked the M235i, but now that BMW has confirmed it won't get the EPS rack from the M3/M4 and just the standard F3X rack I'm not so enthused. That plus the fact I expected it to be somewhere between E82 and E46 mass wise only to find out it's just 67lbs lighter than my is. It really was disappointing. That said Tom at Farmington said they have one coming in so I'll drive it nonetheless with the hopes I'm wrong.

Looking to replace my DD as I am though, I've got to say, Cadillac impressed me mightily. I love the ATS, have heard nonstop praise for its dynamics (on the forums from E9X and back owners), and the seating position is fantastic.

It was particularly telling that Cadillac debuted the new ATS coupe (which looks fantastic in person) with a manual, that really got my attention. Whereas the spiritual successor to the 2002 had a slushbox.....
      01-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #1611
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanceman View Post
Saw it on Thursday and saw it again yesterday, and I am really not a fan. It didn't have a single angle I thought it truly looked great. The M3 looked much better to me, but they're absolutely massive. Some work colleagues on Thursday who aren't that into cars, but not unknowledgable, thought the M4 was the replacement for the V10 M6 before I told them otherwise.
It's all a matter of preference of course. To me the black M4 looked pretty good but I was not blown away. Some of the engineering was very impressive though. It is interesting to those of us with N54 335's that BMW chose to go with a twin turbo 6 with newly designed turbos, intercooler, etc. Almost like the engine is a high end BMW version of a modded N54.

I agree that some of the Cadillacs looked good as did the Corvettes. Nice to see some enthusiast worthy American cars. Overall, the auto show is definitely worth attending this year there's lots to look at.
      01-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #1612
nanceman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
It's all a matter of preference of course. To me the black M4 looked pretty good but I was not blown away. Some of the engineering was very impressive though. It is interesting to those of us with N54 335's that BMW chose to go with a twin turbo 6 with newly designed turbos, intercooler, etc. Almost like the engine is a high end BMW version of a modded N54.

I agree that some of the Cadillacs looked good as did the Corvettes. Nice to see some enthusiast worthy American cars. Overall, the auto show is definitely worth attending this year there's lots to look at.
Couldn't agree more. I got some great shots of the S55 cut away and it's definitely a similar crankshaft and connecting rod forging process (i.e. rods forged as single piece then cracked at the main cap), with similar piston designs. I cannot comment for sure from the photos, but the pistons appear to cast (I should've taken more underside shots) and it's nearly impossible to pass modern emissions requirements with forged pistons. The closed deck will be a benefit for ultimate power, but as noted that will come into play at very extreme power levels. The use of the arc spray liner also means that like for the GTR guys a rebuild and over-bore machining will require installation of liners in the end anyways. Valvetronic will eventually be cracked, but that's a whole other level of engine calibration/dyno time required. From all I've read and researched, it appears the N54's block with sufficient fuel/octane is fine up to any power level you could ever require other than drag racing, only then will the S55 block really come into its own.... And if I want to drag race I'd choose a different platform anyways. I'll post some of my shots later.

Back on topic, it sure was a fantastic show this year.
      01-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #1613
charrigan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fiat 500e, Audi Q5, 328d(soon)

Got my new bumper installed. I was going to do mtech but there were zero in the states. I ended up going with the bmw performance bumper and in person I love it.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #1614
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charrigan View Post
Got my new bumper installed. I was going to do mtech but there were zero in the states. I ended up going with the bmw performance bumper and in person I love it.

01-20-2014, 09:56 AM   #1615
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 STX Advance

Quote:

SICK
      01-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #1616
zivyn
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: for enjoyment

Quote:
Like the no fog look, are the ducts functional in the performance bumper?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #1617
charrigan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes they have ducting to cool the brakes ($400 extra!). There is also an option to add air scoops. I opted out of the air scoop because I already have them.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #1618
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Spec Dan View Post
SICK
agree. the performance front looks great.

really important decision over here guys [<--- sarcasm]. need your input.

my interior is black w/ oyster seats and walnut dash/door trim. obviously the walnut trim has got to go. say what you want about the oyster seats (i like em).

with my mtech kit purchase, already having the msport steering wheel and oe 359ms i want to round out with as many msport bits as possible.

i had planned on getting a wrapped/coated carbon fiber trim kit from the forum. but, that's not the most cost efficient option and not many msport 335s came with them either from my searching.

so, kicking around three trim options (with a roughly $400-600 budget):
1. bmw aluminum
2. bmw high-gloss black
3. cf wrapped + clearcoated (from walnut bmw trim)

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #1619
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
agree. the performance front looks great.

really important decision over here guys [<--- sarcasm]. need your input.

my interior is black w/ oyster seats and walnut dash/door trim. obviously the walnut trim has got to go. say what you want about the oyster seats (i like em).

with my mtech kit purchase, already having the msport steering wheel and oe 359ms i want to round out with as many msport bits as possible.

i had planned on getting a wrapped/coated carbon fiber trim kit from the forum. but, that's not the most cost efficient option and not many msport 335s came with them either from my searching.

so, kicking around three trim options (with a roughly $400-600 budget):
1. bmw aluminum
2. bmw high-gloss black
3. cf wrapped + clearcoated (from walnut bmw trim)

thoughts?
1.) bmw aluminum
I went from walnut to vinyl wrapping it with brushed titanium (LINK to my thread). then i bought the aluminum kit from erhard.
2.) bmw high-gloss black
it's plastic and from what i've heard, when you knock on it, sounds like cheap plastic. friend of mine has it in his E82 135i and always has fingerprints.
3.) cf wrapped + clearcoated (from walnut bmw trim)
actually getting cf and wrapping quite expensive. i suggest you just vinyl wrap with cf design.

vinyl wrapping is the most cost efficient way to go. if you don't like it, you can always take off the vinyl and get something else you want.
      01-22-2014, 05:17 AM   #1620
charrigan
Private First Class
Rep

I've got a question for the more skilled coders. Is there a way to turn on flash to pass lights with the highbeams when the stalk is forward?

I'm just looking for more visibility with the highbeams since deer walk out in front of me every day.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #1621
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

Quote:
1.) bmw aluminum
I went from walnut to vinyl wrapping it with brushed titanium (LINK to my thread). then i bought the aluminum kit from erhard.
2.) bmw high-gloss black
it's plastic and from what i've heard, when you knock on it, sounds like cheap plastic. friend of mine has it in his E82 135i and always has fingerprints.
3.) cf wrapped + clearcoated (from walnut bmw trim)
actually getting cf and wrapping quite expensive. i suggest you just vinyl wrap with cf design.

vinyl wrapping is the most cost efficient way to go. if you don't like it, you can always take off the vinyl and get something else you want.
thanks, dan. heard similar about the black - that one's out.
going between aluminum and carbon (again). working out a pretty good deal on a wrapped/coated set.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #1622
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got a question for the more skilled coders. Is there a way to turn on flash to pass lights with the highbeams when the stalk is forward?

I'm just looking for more visibility with the highbeams since deer walk out in front of me every day.
i don't know if it's possible with bi-xenon's. what i do know is that your car only has the driver side shutter enabled in the projector. you can activate both of the shutters to open to turn both projectors into high beams. i'm on a business trip with my work laptop and can't look up the variable.
      01-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #1623
J-Spec Dan
ALL RIGHTY THEN
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
thanks, dan. heard similar about the black - that one's out.
going between aluminum and carbon (again). working out a pretty good deal on a wrapped/coated set.
no problem, colin. i'd go with brushed aluminum. carbon is cool and i would've done it too but my black-on-black-on-black interior needed some contrast so i went with brushed titanium wrap then the OEM brushed aluminum kit.
      01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #1624
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
no problem, colin. i'd go with brushed aluminum. carbon is cool and i would've done it too but my black-on-black-on-black interior needed some contrast so i went with brushed titanium wrap then the OEM brushed aluminum kit.
+1. Brushed Aluminum is #FTW. First thing I did when I migrated from the e92 to the e90.
      01-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #1625
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
This snow though..... w t f
      01-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #1626
SP3333D
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
This snow though..... w t f

lol, loving my XI right about now. Glad I swapped the DWS's on a few weeks ago now too!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #1627
e90Mark
Captain
Philippines
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Came outta nowhere. Was clear when I got to the dealer, and got out and was blizzarding.

Got a 2014 f30 328d xdrive for a loaner until monday. Saw a 528i sliding all around woodward.

The NBT iDrive is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2014, 11:21 AM   #1628
nanceman
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Mark View Post
Came outta nowhere. Was clear when I got to the dealer, and got out and was blizzarding.

Got a 2014 f30 328d xdrive for a loaner until monday. Saw a 528i sliding all around woodward.

The NBT iDrive is awesome.
Maybe I missed this, but which dealer do you use? I'm astounded one of them has a diesel loaner.... The risk of someone accidentally putting in gas seems way too high.

Loaner talk reminds me, anyone know whether Erhard (Bloomfield or Farmington) is going to get any 4-series loaners? I love my is and it'd take at least an M2 in the mold of the 1M for me to get rid of her, but I'm curious to compare it to my seat time in a range of F30's (and perhaps to my E92... though the F22 seems much more in line in that respect). Especially after all the seemingly nonspecific reviews that say how "it's so different from the F30." I'd prefer a 2-series loaner 10:1 over the bloated F32, but I highly doubt all wheel drive Erhard would ever offer that... At least as long as the 2-series is RWD only.