E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Does anyone have the Umnitza P90 FX-R retrofit Headlights?

11-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #89
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym96 View Post
Ill have a full write up on these once I get them installed.. Im still waiting on my m3 rep to get painted

damn these babies look SO GOOD!

nice wheels too! be sure to post beam pattern and cutoff pics of the FX-R projector! lets see how well it compares to E90's OEM xenon lights!

congrats on the install!!let us know if there's any errors whatsoever, btw yours is a 2006 or 2008 E90?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #90
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
ERROR UPDATE:

Any other cool coding I should do???? If any of you run into problems with these headlights, it's really simple to code out the errors. I did it tonight in just two hours without any previous experience. Once you execute the first coding job, it's a piece of cake to replicate.
glad to hear u finally sorted out the low beam error! was the coding process hard? im thinking about getting a cable and code some neat features to mine as well but i don't want to brick my OBD in the process lol.

could you post a video walkthrough of how you did the coding on the low beam error?

oh, definitely code AEs as DRLs!! easily the best and most obvious coding out there!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #91
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milly View Post
Oh and did u code so the angel eyes are DRL?
hey milly have you received your set yet? mine's gonna be shipping out this friday according to umnitza, they say there's like 7 or 8 orders for this FX-R setup.

post pics!!~~~
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #92
LLinxuS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [9.28]
I was under the impression that you cannot do a corner delete coding with aftermarket DEPO headlights?

I have the same headlights (DEPO w/ Orion V2 Angels) - can I just code out the corner delete so that only the angel eyes turn on when I turn my headlight switch to Parking Lights or Automatic?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 01:00 PM   #93
anthonym96
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Well my dad owns a body shop so Ive been doing this kinda work for over 5 years now I was able to take it off in about 30 mins without looking at a diy but regardless its pretty easy

Quote:
ahh looks very nice, how was taking off the bumper?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #94
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym96 View Post
Well my dad owns a body shop so Ive been doing this kinda work for over 5 years now I was able to take it off in about 30 mins without looking at a diy but regardless its pretty easy
could you post pics of the beam pattern and cutoff?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #95
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Quote:
hey milly have you received your set yet? mine's gonna be shipping out this friday according to umnitza, they say there's like 7 or 8 orders for this FX-R setup.

post pics!!~~~
Hey man not yet.. He said mind shipped out today. He told me they have many orders and they just received more Canbus so they can continue building
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #96
anthonym96
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I should have it complete by saturday still waiting on my m3 rep to get painted, but I will for sure
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #97
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
Congrats man and you also coded most of the items which I want! Haha could you post a link to which coding cable / tutorial you are using Incase it happens to me when mine arrive?

Thanks a lot for the update!
I bought my coding cable from someone on the forum. They claimed it works for 2006 E90, so I purchased it, and it worked perfectly. Only $45 shipped too. I wish I could be of more help as to which one it is... it looks so generic. Didn't come with a box or manual or anything. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=K-CAN+coding

I got the DIY from here though http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t=xenon+coding. If that doesn't download, I can upload it to my website for you. Just let me know.

Quote:
Nope. I don't know if my 2006 even has DRLs... if so, I have never used my DRLs. I did just get the car in January, so I'm still learning all the cool features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
OK good, now you really have no excuse not to take pictures of the headlights/beam pattern
Glad everything worked out for you. Talk to Grant@DetailAddict and he should be able to help you with the lift error, he's a master of coding. Check the coding threads to find him.
Thanks for the help! Your suggestions worked! I should have some pictures for you all this weekend... Umnitza wants me to take pictures too. I'm a slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmb0000 View Post
This look so sweet. I have the Jlevis's Depo with the 4 bulbs in the ring. Most of it burn out but the HID still works with no error. I am debating whether to change to this setup with these amazing AE.
I def suggest getting rid of your JLevi and swapping to these. Plus JLevi doesn't do the FX-R retrofit. I love JLevi's service and store, but for these lights, Umnitza has the best price and gives you FX-R... DEPO projectors don't compare to FX-R. My beam alignment needs fixed though, ASAP. Had to worry about one thing at a time though, had a lot of coding to do first.

Quote:
glad to hear u finally sorted out the low beam error! was the coding process hard? im thinking about getting a cable and code some neat features to mine as well but i don't want to brick my OBD in the process lol.

could you post a video walkthrough of how you did the coding on the low beam error?

oh, definitely code AEs as DRLs!! easily the best and most obvious coding out there!
Coding was a piece of cake. I was really nervous going in, even though I have IT background, but following Junior's DIY really made it easy. The only part I was stuck at for a bit was when the USB cable I was using (which automatically installed the drivers and gave me a COM port) set the COM port to COM4 instead of COM1. It has to be set to COM1 to communicate with the OBD, and the buffer size has to be reduced as much as possible, because the OBD can't communicate as quickly as the cable can or computer can.

I'll gladly post a video walkthrough, but following Junior's tutorial and his video tutorial shows how to set up your software and how to use NCSExpert. I could start from NCSExpert and show how to code the new settings.

The gist of coding (once you get into NCSExpert) is as follows:
- Always select the CAS module
- Select a submodule from there (e.g. FRM) by clicking "Process ECU"
- Read the ECU (saves your current car settings for that submodule to a TRC file on your computer within the WORK folder)
- Open that TRC (current settings) file in Notepad
- Save that TRC file as a MAN (new settings) file
- Always save your new settings within the MAN file
- When ready, in NCSExpert, click basic functions and select “coapiReadSgGetFswPsw" (tells NCSExpert that you'll be writing from the MAN file).
- Change the Job to SG_CODIEREN and Process the Job and voila!

The important thing to remember is that the MAN file is the new settings and the TRC is the current settings which you downloaded when you "Read ECU."

BTW, I don't even know if 2006 325i has DRLs though... does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinxuS View Post
I was under the impression that you cannot do a corner delete coding with aftermarket DEPO headlights?

I have the same headlights (DEPO w/ Orion V2 Angels) - can I just code out the corner delete so that only the angel eyes turn on when I turn my headlight switch to Parking Lights or Automatic?
Yep! The corner delete works with my DEPO V2 headlights. It looks awesome without the amber corners and they only light up when I activate my turn signal, which is the Euro way of doing things. Maybe the corner delete is what's throwing that Car on Lift error, but I don't care, because that error is not annoying whatsoever, and I'd rather have corner delete.

Last edited by Trevendous03; 11-17-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #98
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
You should be able to see if you have drl in the car computer thing... Scroll up and go to the settings thing (can't remember which one) and you'll see a light bulb looking thing.. Click it haha.

I guess I should go ahead and buy te coding supplies before my headlights get here... They weren't shipped out yet because they ran our of parts((
Black 2008 328i e90-BMW Performance CF Strut Bar/Muffler delete/8000k Fogs Fogs/Trunk Spoiler/5% Tint/BlueTooth/JVC HU/AG M359 Wheels/Matte Black kidney grills/H&R Race Springs/Koni Yellows/Orion V2 Angel Eyes/EuroCharged Tune/
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #99
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

yeah i just contacted umnitza and they say that mine won't be done until next tuesday....

hopefully it arrives next friday so i can install it during the weekend
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #100
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
yeah i just contacted umnitza and they say that mine won't be done until next tuesday....

Yeah it kinda sucks because someone got theirs shipped out before me when I ordered the same exact headlight before them lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #101
cbetlyon
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi Jet Black/Black

can some one give picture of beam pattern for both standard depos and FX-R retrofit?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #102
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbetlyon View Post
can some one give picture of beam pattern for both standard depos and FX-R retrofit?
ok here it is:

original Depo beam

OEM Xenon

Depo w/ FX-R projector retrofit

HOWEVER!!!

the OEM xenon and FX-R pictures above are all from E46 cars, not E90. i wasn't able to find ones for E90. but i hope these are a close representation of what E90 depos are like.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #103
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

opps...wtf pics not showing?....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68302497@N05/6215410938/
original DEPO

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68302497@N05/6215411058/
E46 OEM Xenon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68302497@N05/6215411004/
E46 Depo w/ FX-R
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 01:49 AM   #104
LLinxuS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [9.28]
Just did the corner delete on my DEPO v2s Fishcake, love it! Much better. Changed SIDEMARKER_US to nicht_aktiv.

Also want to update that I don't have any errors anymore, after turning off a few warm / cold bulb checks on the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #105
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Quote:
Just did the corner delete on my DEPO v2s Fishcake, love it! Much better. Changed SIDEMARKER_US to nicht_aktiv.

Also want to update that I don't have any errors anymore, after turning off a few warm / cold bulb checks on the headlights.
Thats great to hear! I'm about to order my cable... Unfortunately having errors when trying to open up the coding programs >.<
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 10:25 PM   #106
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854490

check out this thread, the fx-r projectors used in there to retrofit the E46 Depo lights are the same as the ones in our umnitza FX-R retrofit(i think...lol)

great cutoff and beautiful light distribution. stunning.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #107
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:

check out this thread, the fx-r projectors used in there to retrofit the E46 Depo lights are the same as the ones in our umnitza FX-R retrofit(i think...lol)

Yup, same projectors. They look fantastic don't they? When I say they're better than OEM...I really mean, they're better than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:56 AM   #108
Trevendous03
photographer // designer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i E90 SG

Quote:
You should be able to see if you have drl in the car computer thing... Scroll up and go to the settings thing (can't remember which one) and you'll see a light bulb looking thing.. Click it haha.

I guess I should go ahead and buy te coding supplies before my headlights get here... They weren't shipped out yet because they ran our of parts((
I found how to enable DRL in my OBD, but I couldn't find the line of code for changing it to Parking Lights/AEs. I could only get it to be High Beam, and I didn't like the look of it, so I disabled DRLs again.

Quote:

I really hope yours arrive soon!!!!

Quote:

Yay! Glad to hear! The corner delete does look very very good. I am glad your OBD isn't as sensitive as mine. I also had to deactivate some FEHLERMELDUNG codes (error messages) for AL (low beam) and FL (high beam) to get the lights to work as best as they could. They still randomly throw an error, but at least the headlight just goes out once for a split second every trip (when the headlights are switched on) and then it comes back on and stays on the rest of the trip. Not bad for a 2006 OBD! By the way, I found out my car was manufactured back in April 2005... nuts!!!!!

Quote:
Thats great to hear! I'm about to order my cable... Unfortunately having errors when trying to open up the coding programs >.<
I know you have to follow Junior's DIY exactly for stuff to work properly. By the way, I always get an error from the EDIABAS server when I open INPA, but then I exit INPA and restart it, and there's no error. What errors are you having with the coding programs?

Quote:

Def amazing distribution... I need to re-aim my lights though. There is some spill-over with these headlights through the LED turn signals. It kinda gives off a weird beam pattern at the corners because of this, but I still love how sharp the cutoff is, and it's really colorful at the peak of the cutoff. That color is basically the color that people see from far away. I'll have to post a video soon of the color flicker too. It truly is quite amazing! I'm about to post a video of my car with the lights on tonight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
Yup, same projectors. They look fantastic don't they? When I say they're better than OEM...I really mean, they're better than OEM.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 10:35 AM   #109
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

I was thinking about this today while browsing hidplanet. Hella makes headlights for BMW (and they make the modules for the interior lights too). Hella also makes projectors, so it would be logical if BMW used Hella headlights, Hella Celis technology for angel eyes, and Hella projectors. TheRetrofitSource offers a projector called the EVOX-R, which is made by Hella, and in the description, they include a tidbit that says "Their bolt pattern is identical to older Hella 3-inch halogen, xenon, and bi-xenon projectors - so can be used as a direct bolt on upgrade to OEM or aftermarket housings that use these designs..."

I wonder if the stock projectors could be upgraded with these...you'd have auto-levelling and bixenon abilities, but better cutoff and light distribution.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #110
milly
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 328i (e90)  [9.00]
Hey trevendous, I fixed the problem! It was because I have windows 7 64 bit, and I needed 32 bit.

I'm just running a virtual server in order to run the programs.

I can't wait to see the video that e46 cutoff was amazing haha.

Hopefully my lights arrive by Friday!
Appreciate 0