E90Post
 


The Tire Rack
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Has anyone contacted BMW regarding 29.2 and lag?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #1101
Kruz
Major
Kruz's Avatar
15
Rep
1,065
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
Page 49 and to be honest Ive read only 20 some pages....can someone please summarize which 335is are affected here?

I have a July 07 6MT production and I believe my Idrive main screen is brown. I was in for an oil change a few weeks back and insisted they did not reprogram anything since everthing is working fine and I do not believe I have lag. When running through the gearbox and not powershiting, the acceleration is smooth and linear. I hear the turbos whistling from about 1500rpms as well.

The 08 335xi coupe (step) loaner they gave me though may have had the lag. It did not have Idrive, but when floored (button pushed under throttle) it REALLY seemed to push me back all of a sudden over 3,000 rpms. This was either lag or the auto downshifting 2 gears much faster than I can or want to do manually. I noticed the tach sweep really fast to redline. I also noticed the loaner had a slightly meaner growl from the exhaust.

Do these conditions point to my car not having 29.2 and the loaner having it?



My car
__________________
07/07 E90 335xi SG
Black Dakota|Alum|ZSP|2AB|ZPP|ZCW|Nav|CA|6FL|PDC|Blackli nes|3M
Summers: 235/40/18 265/35/18 Hankook Ventus V12 on VMR 701s
A/S: 225/40/18 255/35/18 Pirelli PZero Nero M+S on OEM 162s
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #1102
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
36
Rep
692
Posts

Drives: 2016 428i EB M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

How likely is it that V31 will solve our problem? Is there anything pointing in that direction?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 02:36 PM   #1103
ezatnova
Colonel
ezatnova's Avatar
United_States
65
Rep
2,188
Posts

Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
How likely is it that V31 will solve our problem? Is there anything pointing in that direction?
I already gave my odds a few pages back. 1:50! There is absolutely nothing CONCRETE pointing in the direction of indicating that it will help, at this point. I think meyergru asked his guy at the shop, but he said he didn't know yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #1104
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
slubu's Avatar
138
Rep
1,851
Posts

Drives: White Lightning
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Agrestic

iTrader: (2)

Somewhere there was a post that some guy mentioned that some other guy told him that V31 was the means by which BMW chose to deal with the lag issue. So basically, it is all conjecture, hearsay and speculation.
__________________
2008 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 03:31 PM   #1105
nissan
Lieutenant
23
Rep
479
Posts

Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: DFW

iTrader: (4)

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I'm a pre-29.2'er with an auto. I'm in northern NJ at least 1 wknd a month, PA 2 wknds a month, and DC/MD at least 1 wknd a month. If anyone needs the car to test/compare it, let me know. I'll have to take out the Helix though, so need some notice before we do it (or can take it out before testing, I don't care).
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #1106
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
737
Rep
7,151
Posts

Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP/DUC M1200S
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruz View Post
...
There is no easy way to "summarize" this 50 page thread my friend......
__________________
Current - 2015 981 Cayman S
Past rides: 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP / 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT / 2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #1107
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
36
Rep
692
Posts

Drives: 2016 428i EB M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slubu View Post
Somewhere there was a post that some guy mentioned that some other guy told him that V31 was the means by which BMW chose to deal with the lag issue. So basically, it is all conjecture, hearsay and speculation.
Yes, that was what a technician told me early this week, but I wouldnt trust a bmw guy as far as I could throw him after all the trouble we have had..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2008, 11:05 PM   #1108
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

FYI - from another thread - thanks to stressdoc

"stressdoc
Moderator



Drives: 335 E90 ZSP+

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO


Read the SIB. It is clear as can be what 29.2 is designed to do. A software fix for a hardware problem. One can only hope that BMW prescribed this shift from the hardware fix (replace wastegate actuators) to a DME reprogram (Progman 29.2) that "fixes" the rattle by keeping the wastegate open under the conditions where it would rattle against the turbo housing (because of the vibrating stresses) is because the available hardware fix was not a good one, and the software fix is just a temporary bandaid until they engineer a proper hardware fix. If they did this to save $, just postponing the inevitable repairs until the car might no longer be under warranty, lord help them. There are going to be some very angry owners who may not be placated with anything short of replacement of the turbos with the new revised version. And a proper tune again.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B111307g.htm
__________________ "
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 03:54 AM   #1109
marell01
Private
marell01's Avatar
Sweden
3
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: -09 335i Coupe M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobu View Post
FYI - from another thread - thanks to stressdoc

"stressdoc
Moderator



Drives: 335 E90 ZSP+

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: MO


Read the SIB. It is clear as can be what 29.2 is designed to do. A software fix for a hardware problem. One can only hope that BMW prescribed this shift from the hardware fix (replace wastegate actuators) to a DME reprogram (Progman 29.2) that "fixes" the rattle by keeping the wastegate open under the conditions where it would rattle against the turbo housing (because of the vibrating stresses) is because the available hardware fix was not a good one, and the software fix is just a temporary bandaid until they engineer a proper hardware fix. If they did this to save $, just postponing the inevitable repairs until the car might no longer be under warranty, lord help them. There are going to be some very angry owners who may not be placated with anything short of replacement of the turbos with the new revised version. And a proper tune again.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B111307g.htm
__________________ "
Link is not working
__________________
- 335 Coupé - Saphire Black - M Sport Package - 19" M 225 Wheel -
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #1110
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B111307g.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2008, 09:48 AM   #1111
rubber_ducky
Colonel
rubber_ducky's Avatar
227
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: roach coach
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston-ish

iTrader: (20)

Unreal. Though this is good info.

Anyone know what wastegates cost by chance? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 05:21 AM   #1112
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
36
Rep
692
Posts

Drives: 2016 428i EB M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Just like to inform you of an incident yesterday morning.

I was driving my car for about 5 mins when all of a sudden I hear 3 loud bangs comming from my car!
I pull over, open the door and immediately noticed gray smoke comming from the car, It smelled like burnt oil.

So Im checking the cars outside but I only notce one thing odd. The two tailpipes where jet black and an increadible heat was steaming out of both pipes.

I've had nothing but trouble since I bought this pice of junk and now I've had it!

Goodbye BMW Hello Audi!


ps. Would'nt surprise me one bit if this is related to 29.2! Crappy fuel consumption, poor performance, poor reliability.....
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #1113
marell01
Private
marell01's Avatar
Sweden
3
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: -09 335i Coupe M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
Just like to inform you of an incident yesterday morning.

I was driving my car for about 5 mins when all of a sudden I hear 3 loud bangs comming from my car!
I pull over, open the door and immediately noticed gray smoke comming from the car, It smelled like burnt oil.

So Im checking the cars outside but I only notce one thing odd. The two tailpipes where jet black and an increadible heat was steaming out of both pipes.

I've had nothing but trouble since I bought this pice of junk and now I've had it!

Goodbye BMW Hello Audi!


ps. Would'nt surprise me one bit if this is related to 29.2! Crappy fuel consumption, poor performance, poor reliability.....
Do you know what has happened? Turbofailure? I´m not glad to hear what happened to you Pavel...
//Marcus
__________________
- 335 Coupé - Saphire Black - M Sport Package - 19" M 225 Wheel -
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #1114
Manboy
Captain
Sweden
36
Rep
692
Posts

Drives: 2016 428i EB M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marell01 View Post
Do you know what has happened? Turbofailure? I´m not glad to hear what happened to you Pavel...
//Marcus
Dude, I have no freakin idea! I had to leave the office to go home and make sure the tow truck get's through to my driveway cuz Im not driving that piece of junk as it might kill me!!!

I think its the turbos, heck, who knows..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:47 AM   #1115
rubber_ducky
Colonel
rubber_ducky's Avatar
227
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: roach coach
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston-ish

iTrader: (20)

Pavel, that sucks man. You might run into a lot of other 335 owners at the audi dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #1116
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
319
Rep
10,490
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: VBeach VA

iTrader: (0)

This is pointless trash talk. You will run into disgruntled Audi owners at BMW dealers too. Statistics are statistics: overall the 335 is a very reliable car, slightly more so than the Audi A4.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #1117
rubber_ducky
Colonel
rubber_ducky's Avatar
227
Rep
2,867
Posts

Drives: roach coach
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: boston-ish

iTrader: (20)

If 29.2 does affect gas milage, isn't that another thing that can be measured and used as leverage?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #1118
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
319
Rep
10,490
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: VBeach VA

iTrader: (0)

There is no logical reason to conclude that 29.2 would affect gas mileage. Unless drivers are responding to the reduction of power response at low revs by a heavier foot -- and maybe this can result in fouling spark plugs, leading to inefficient burn, and perhaps even backfiring as in Pavel's case.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #1119
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Left my car at the dealership this morning - first time back since s/w download on 8/26. Can't wait to see what kind of b/s they are going to come up with to explain the turbo lag. Or will it be one of those - sir there is nothing wrong with this car - performs as advertised.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:16 AM   #1120
stressdoc
Moderator
stressdoc's Avatar
Dominica
319
Rep
10,490
Posts

Drives: F80 YMB
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: VBeach VA

iTrader: (0)

Explain the facts to your SA as we know them, don't mention any blog or you are likely to be dismissed as having Web hysteria. I would just note that you are aware that the wastegate is open at low rpms and that the car drives differently as a consequence. Not a big difference, but noticeable, and it is something that is important to you, so you expect them to research this and get to the bottom of it with BMW NA.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #1121
iScream
solid @ 153, no, 155mph!
iScream's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: '07/'09/'13 335
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Interesting. I actually first noticed the wastegate rattle after 29.2. So according to that SIB, I should be in line for some new actuators. I want to wait until the v31 to mention it, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #1122
Cobu
Second Lieutenant
10
Rep
206
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Your point is well taken.
However, when it comes to getting to the bottom of it, given the fact that we all here know what the problem is (s/w) and given the history of this forum members' dealings with dealerships, I really don't know what they can possibly get to the bottom of ? There is nothing magical that they will able to do (short of downgrading s/w) except to piss me off w/some stupid response. The best case scenario is I get to wait for 50-60 days to see the "cannot talk to" regional tech rep and then wait some more and more ... and all this while I continue to fight frustrations of every day's driving and continue to pay for the car I now hate.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:35 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST