E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Importing to usa

02-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
t02t
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 135i

Importing to usa

Hi all,
I'm looking to import my bc car to Cali, was wondering if anyone here has had any Experiences importing? I already know about the forms, costs, and required modification, just curious on the actual process, do they inspect the car throughly? I have already done smog test, would it be fine to go to the port and import with the car on catless dp and dropped on coilovers?

Ay help would be great! Thanks
      02-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by t02t View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking to import my bc car to Cali, was wondering if anyone here has had any Experiences importing? I already know about the forms, costs, and required modification, just curious on the actual process, do they inspect the car throughly? I have already done smog test, would it be fine to go to the port and import with the car on catless dp and dropped on coilovers?

Ay help would be great! Thanks
You might want to try and post in the Cali section of the form but I doubt you will find many member who import into the US since prices are so much cheaper down there.

California has some of the toughest emissions testing in the US. I know there are members that have reported passing emissions with the BMS DP Fix but they JUST squeaked by the test. Call the DMV down in California, they will be able to tell you exactly what you will need to import.

I imported my car into Canada so I am sure the paperwork trail is the similar just in the opposite direction.

1) Export stamp from Canadian customs
2) Import stamp from US customs
3) Federal and State taxes/duties paid
4) Emissions and safety stamp
5) License plate & ownership issued by Cali DMV

This link may help you:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/os.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
t02t
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 135i

thanks for the reply,
I've already passed emissions and was just wondering about what happens when I'm at the port, like how much the customs officer inspects the car.