Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > MAJOR inside tire wear - hitting suspension?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-06-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
nunyagd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '09 e93 M Sport

MAJOR inside tire wear - hitting suspension?

Hi All -

About a year ago, I put a set of AG M355's on my '09 e93. I went with the recommended fitment (19x9 front, 19x10 rear) with 275 x 30 x 19" Hankooks in the back. I had 4 wheel alignment done and everything was "in spec" according to the machine / technician. A year and 10K miles later, I have belts showing on both insides and what appears to be very unusual wear...

Take a look at the "ledge" that appears to be carved into these tires (espcially visible in pics 3-5 below) - especially comparing the outside wear slope vs. inside:

Drivers side rear:

Passenger side:

It's almost as though something has carved a "notch" in the inside of the tires... However, I can't see any obvious areas where it has contacted the suspension. Take a look at these photos of the wheel well... The obvious place would be the top of the shocks (see aluminum at top) but there's no rubber there.

Would you guys consider this normal wear or do you think it's hitting something? If normal, is there anything I can do (say ask the alignment guy to take some camber our)?

FYI - I know that the tires need to be replaced and should have been a long time ago... The second I noticed this I stopped driving it and will keep a better eye on this from now on. I'm also going to back with 265's instead of 275's.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Definetly not rubbing on the inside. Your toe is probably off.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

How low are you and what were your alignment numbers? And let us know what your before and after numbers are when you put on new tires and get that aligned.

Toe in and camber will cause wear like that. As the tire gets worn in that inside edge, it gets thinner and will deform under the weight of the car, increasing the uneven wear along the inner tread. Especially where the sidewall meets the tread area.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
nunyagd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Definetly not rubbing on the inside. Your toe is probably off.
That's great to hear, appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
nunyagd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocet View Post
How low are you and what were your alignment numbers? And let us know what your before and after numbers are when you put on new tires and get that aligned.

Toe in and camber will cause wear like that. As the tire gets worn in that inside edge, it gets thinner and will deform under the weight of the car, increasing the uneven wear along the inner tread. Especially where the sidewall meets the tread area.
Not lowered at all - suspension is stock e93 Mtech...

Which brings up a question - the alignment guy did have trouble deciding what "profile" to use for alignment. I think he finally wound up using an M3 profile because it's all he could find that had 19" rims. Any suggestions as to whether that was wrong and, if so, what he should do next time?

They also sandbagged the car seats and trunk - I almost always drive by myself in this ride - would that make a difference?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

The alignment was not correct or you have worn suspension components, in either case the toe is out of spec
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
nunyagd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankytron View Post
The alignment was not correct or you have worn suspension components, in either case the toe is out of spec
car has 35K miles and I'm original owner... is worn suspension a possibility for a car that has spent 90% of it's life driving down an interstate to the airport and back?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
mankytron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyagd View Post
car has 35K miles and I'm original owner... is worn suspension a possibility for a car that has spent 90% of it's life driving down an interstate to the airport and back?
Everything should be ok at that mileage, get the rear toe checked again. As little toe as possible will minimize tire wear like that.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #9
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
If the shop guy used the m3 profile your alignment is way off. The 335 alignment will work regardless of wheel size.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #10
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport

May be because of low tire pressure. Had the same issue with one of my run flats at the time - alignment was fine. Turned out to be a bad TPMS that wasn't transmitting and I had a slow leak - I ran the tire low for too long without realizing.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664174
Appreciate 0