E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest > 335xi or 335i with snow tires for Denver?

11-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #23
merchomini
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Touareg VR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.kodra View Post
I have 2 335xi's and would recommend the AWD. Peace of mind in the snow! JMHO
yeah....confidence and peace of mind is always nice.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30M3Driver View Post
I've been driving rear wheel drive BMWs with snows for years and there have only been a handful of times that I haven't been able to go where I want and I have never gotten stuck (but almost have).

I also tend to have a 4WD vehicle as a second or third car available and there are times I have been out in that (skiing, mountains and deep snow) and if I had been in my BMW it would not have worked until roads or parking lots were plowed.

If your BMW is your only car and RWD, I would recommend a more aggressive snow tire tread rather than a performance snow tire and you will have better results. You'll be limited then only by clearance, driving skills, ice and really, really steep hills or combinations of those things.
I mean i really like my car......but the rwd is just more performanc oriented ....

Im thinking about having my girlfriend get an x3.....she doesnt want anything big otherwise id have her get the x5. I feel like if she had that we would always just take that to the mountains to ski and it would probably have snow tires on it so i feel like it would be pretty capable.

The only problem would be if only i was going up there.........because i cant leave her my car as its a stick.....even though she will be learning soon enough.

I def think that driving skills would play a big part, im pretty sure id be capable enough.

My cousin has a 330 with blizzaks and he doesnt have any real problems i the snow...but thats not out in the mountains with big inclines or anything soooo
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 10:37 AM   #24
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
All I have ever really owned are RWD cars, and have never had issues with the snow when I had the snow tires on. So far I have had Dunlop Graspic's, Dunlop Wintersport M3's and now have the Conti Extremecontact DWS's, and none have ever given me a problem....though it might help that I drive around with about 200lbs of car stereo equip. in the trunk.

Just be careful and drive slow when needed. Besides, on snowy ski trips, the traffic is always slow anyway. Plus nothing more fun that turning off ASC/DTC in the snow on a RWD car and hooning.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

RWD is fine in the snow until you hit inclines, I got my XI because I have steep inclines on both entrances to my subdivision and even a hint of ice is enough to halt progress up a hill with the really good snow tires. XI on Conti DWS it still takes work, but the AWD pulls it up, as well I have a steep climb on a right 90 degree sweeper and with any kind of RWD you instantly break loose as you gas it up the hill which puts you into the other traffic lane. Worst is the FWD cars on that corner, as the tires breaking loose sends you right into the ditch on the side of the road

Still I can see the wisdom of getting an i for the 3 seasons, and a SUV/small truck (early 2000s Tacoma!) for when the snow. I personally love AWD, so I didn't go with that reasoning, but I can see where it makes sense for a lot of people that love the twisties (XI stock suspension is poor compared to i).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #26
HT1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i

AWD isn't just for snow. It's great for wet roads too. I'd definitely want AWD for any snow region of the country.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #27
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
XI is the answer
Appreciate 0