E90Post
 


N54Tuning.com
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Nobody Wants to Admit to the Real Reasons Behind American Mass Shootings



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-16-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
insanecoder
Colonel
1143
Rep
2,775
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

Nobody Wants to Admit to the Real Reasons Behind American Mass Shootings

http://theantimedia.org/real-reasons-mass-shootings/
Will people wake up? ..stop looking for bandaid fixes and see???

Nobody Wants to Admit to the Real Reasons Behind American Mass Shootings
Violence is Inherent to American Identity

Parkland, FL — There was “mass casualty event” at an American high school yesterday that took the lives of 17 students, and I’m unfortunately not surprised at this point. Mass shootings have become commonplace in America as of late, and after every one of them, the political blame game spins round and round, even before we send out our redundant “thoughts and prayers.”

We have to ban guns. No, we need more guns. We need to put more police in public places — and even in schools to deter shooters. We need to ban gun-free zones. We need to blame all right-wingers. We need to blame all left-wingers. We need to call white violence terrorism. We need to blame psychotropic drugs. We need to ban Muslims. We need to (insert your reactionary opinion here).

Everybody thinks they know what’s wrong, but it seems nobody wants to acknowledge the plainly obvious reasons behind all this violence…
Violence is Inherent to American Identity

America is violent by default. It’s in our DNA as a nation. Born out of the exploitation and genocide of Natives and built off the backs of slaves, the United States has used violence to solve its “problems” since its inception. The country’s independence, itself, was obtained through years of violence — the American revolution. This violence is now venerated and enshrined in popular American mythology and perpetuated ad nauseam in public school history books.

The violence never stopped, and it has been routinely glorified. When Native Americans had something we wanted, we murdered them and took it — over and over again. America’s deft use of violence in World War II became our modern claim to moral superiority. The invasion of Iraq decades later was deemed a gift to Iraqi citizens despite the countless deaths and destruction of their homeland that came with it.

We memorialize those who commit violence for the government and hold them in the highest esteem — throwing tantrums when others express dissenting opinions or fail to bow to the people who serve these institutions.

When children misbehave, we beat them. When people don’t follow the ever-expanding number of (many times unjust) laws in the U.S., we jail them. When a country does something we don’t like, we bomb them and overthrow their government. When a leader does something the U.S. government doesn’t like, we assassinate them. Even what should be civil political discourse has been radicalized into violent rhetoric — the war on women, the war on Christmas, the war on healthcare, the war on cops. War permeates our culture.

Therefore, it’s only natural that when a person is sad, down on themselves, off their meds, or mad about something, picking up a gun to solve their problems with violence seems to be logical. Our government does it, why not them? We beat kids for being “bad,” why would they not use violence against adults? Our government bombs schools in countries we don’t like, so what is so different about an individual getting a gun and shooting up a school in the United States? Our police shoot and kill over 1,000 Americans every year, often because they are afraid of them or because they “did not comply.” Is it any surprise that many of the most atrocious mass shootings in this country were committed by individuals with a fetish for militarism (or policing institutions)? Likewise, Nikolas Cruz, the Florida high school shooter, was a member of the JROTC — an American youth military training organization.

Update: This article originally cited reports claiming Nikolas Cruz was a member of a Florida white nationalist militia. Those reports are now being disputed.

Thanks in large part to our government, American society assumes violence solves problems, whatever those problems may be. Since this country’s founding, America has been dehumanizing others and committing mass acts of violence against them in the name of what is “right” or “good.” The Virginia shooter probably thought he was committing a righteous act by shooting a Republican who was taking away his healthcare.

Just as the concept of “Manifest Destiny” made room in early Americans’ consciences to rationalize genocide against the natives — and the post 9/11 dehumanization of Muslims allows for the ongoing war on terror, which has taken well over one million innocent lives — we now dehumanize others for disagreeing with us politically to the point where violence is becoming a regular occurrence.

The “us vs. them” nationalism that was previously used as propaganda during major wars to get the public unified behind international conflicts has now come home to roost. The next logical step is to get out the guns and start shooting our political opponents down in the street — and now, apparently, it’s happening. And I’m not surprised.
Problem, Reaction, Solution and Well-Intentioned Political Violence

There is another reason violence is such a default reaction, and it extends beyond the behavior and nationalism perpetuated by the U.S. government. In most of the public’s reactions to the problem of mass shootings, there is a hint of violence in their subsequent well-intentioned proposals to legislate away said violent acts.

Taking away someone’s right to do something is an act of violence — political or otherwise. In the United States, we have a tendency to enact laws against things we don’t like, and if someone still does something politicians say is bad, violence is committed against them in the form of punishment, fines, incarceration, and execution. After all, government is defined by its ‘moral’ exemption to use violence — if a soldier, cop, or other government agent commits violence at the behest of politicians or ‘the law,’ it’s in the name of the greater good — regardless of whether or not it’s actually moral. If members of the public use violence, they’re criminals, even if they also believe they’re advocating a ‘greater good.’

So when you say armed guards should be put into every school, you’re endorsing an act of violence by taking someone’s tax money and spending it in a way they may disagree with. When you say “guns should be banned,” you are advocating violence by taking away someone else’s freedom because you think that particular liberty is dangerous, outdated, or arcane. Your desire to remove that freedom necessarily requires the use of violence on the part of armed government agents confiscating the gun or locking them up for failing to obey the edict.

That’s fine and dandy until the freedoms you hold dear end up in the crosshairs of political moralists who feel they know better than you. The slippery slope that starts with banning guns because they can be used for violence can slide into banning books because dangerous information can lead to dangerous thoughts or violence.

***

When a culture of violence intersects with an inherently violent government, I’m not surprised that Americans of all political persuasions are shooting each other in the streets and in schools. So perhaps instead of reforming gun laws or turning our schools into fortresses, America needs to take a long hard look in the mirror. From the way we treat our children to the global war on terror, if we truly want to stop the spread of violence, maybe it’s time to admit that violence has been ingrained into every aspect of our society — and do something about that.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2018, 09:38 PM   #2
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
170
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: G30 520d se
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Nice copy n paste, but how does that start to fix anything?
Take a long hard look at yourself.. that does NOTHING, sorry
Appreciate 3
      02-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #3
insanecoder
Colonel
1143
Rep
2,775
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

??? Please make sense ???
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:44 PM   #4
MKSixer
Brigadier General
6923
Rep
4,374
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Southeast United States

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [5.00]
2015 BMW i8  [5.00]
I understand what is being said here but extreme violence as well as living in bondage under dictators is actually the story of the world.

This piece was clearly written by someone with an ax to grind against the US whether they are a citizen or not. While this tragedy is awful and in no way should be minimized, the argument of an inherent problem with violence in the US is a straw man argument.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
Hell, I get random sausage attacks when I go anywhere.

@[Nyet. Not Russian Hacker](contact:368080)
Ask me hacker question. Hacker question I get answer.
Appreciate 6
SakhirM46394.50
RickFLM42515.50
bbbbmw1670.50

      02-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Flyingscotsman
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
170
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: G30 520d se
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
??? Please make sense ???
To Quote..
So perhaps instead of reforming gun laws or turning our schools into fortresses, America needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
insanecoder
Colonel
1143
Rep
2,775
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
To Quote..
So perhaps instead of reforming gun laws or turning our schools into fortresses, America needs to take a long hard look in the mirror.
And so whats wrong with that?
Our country had lax gun laws 50-100 years ago and lacked these mass shootings of the present
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #7
BaaQaf
Lieutenant
United_States
231
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: ((((((( BQ )))))))

iTrader: (0)

Well it appears America has a lot of mentally ill "pweople" (I want to say it so bad )
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #8
arkie6
Private
United_States
11
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Russellville, AR

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Plenty of studies implicating SSRI drugs for this type of behavior, but there is too much money at stake for the media or politicians to point the finger at what I believe is the root cause for these shootings.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
och
First Lieutenant
och's Avatar
18
Rep
387
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
The problem is all the prescription drugs that make retarded people go even more retarded. They should be locked in in psychiatric wards instead.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:53 AM   #10
OlBloo
Where to next........
OlBloo's Avatar
200
Rep
342
Posts

Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Cascadia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaaQaf View Post
Well it appears America has a lot of mentally ill "pweople" (I want to say it so bad )

YOU RACIST!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
CTinline-six
Winning
CTinline-six's Avatar
United_States
979
Rep
888
Posts

Drives: 2000 Jeep XJ, 2006 BMW 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

People who believe America is one of the most violent cultures in the world have obviously never been anywhere else.

Are mass shootings a problem that needs to be dealt with? Of course. Is America a violent place in general? Hardly.

Talk to some of our deployed soldiers if you feel it is.
__________________
Josh
Appreciate 3
RickFLM42515.50
bbbbmw1670.50

      02-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #12
Lups
...
Lups's Avatar
9127
Rep
13,650
Posts

Drives: I don't own a car.
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lost as usual

iTrader: (0)

Americans are violent since Americans.

For fucks sake... I need a beer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Commuter View Post
Do you believe in Lups?

Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God -- and the only thing that scares me is Lups.
Appreciate 2
BaaQaf231.00
minn192728.00

      02-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #13
1MOREMOD
2018 track days - 0 ridge 1:52:24 pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5889
Rep
18,969
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

Humanity as a whole is violent. It's taboo to discuss like sex was a short time ago. Everyone has violent and disturbing thoughts. Rather than deny we all are on that continuum we need to study and bring to light our fascination with death, killing and violence and understand it.
Appreciate 3
      02-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #14
LobB
Major General
LobB's Avatar
4226
Rep
5,120
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaaQaf View Post
Well it appears America has a lot of mentally ill "pweople" (I want to say it so bad )
As someone battling mental illness, I find it highly offensive that mental illness is being used as a scapegoat. The facts are that mental illness doesn't make me more likley to commit acts of violence. It makes me more likley to be on the receiving end of violence.

Frankly some of the ill informed comments on this forum about some of the most vunerable people in society is sickening.

Appreciate 2
BaaQaf231.00

      02-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #15
LobB
Major General
LobB's Avatar
4226
Rep
5,120
Posts

Drives: M135i
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
The problem is all the prescription drugs that make retarded people go even more retarded. They should be locked in in psychiatric wards instead.
An incredibly ill informed statement!

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #16
SCOTT26
Major General
SCOTT26's Avatar
2926
Rep
5,119
Posts

Drives: Frozen Dark Red First Edition
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
As someone battling mental illness, I find it highly offensive that mental illness is being used as a scapegoat. The facts are that mental illness doesn't make me more likley to commit acts of violence. It makes me more likley to be on the receiving end of violence.

Frankly some of the ill informed comments on this forum about some of the most vunerable people in society is sickening.

Everyone looks for the lowest common demoniator to justify the act these things but cannot come to the conclusion or deny that the person was just straight-up worst of the worst of the human species.
__________________
Step 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
BaaQaf
Lieutenant
United_States
231
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: ((((((( BQ )))))))

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBloo View Post
YOU RACIST!!!
Sad I know
Appreciate 1
Lups9126.50

      02-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #18
BaaQaf
Lieutenant
United_States
231
Rep
408
Posts

Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: ((((((( BQ )))))))

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incontinentia Buttocks View Post
As someone battling mental illness, I find it highly offensive that mental illness is being used as a scapegoat. The facts are that mental illness doesn't make me more likley to commit acts of violence. It makes me more likley to be on the receiving end of violence.

Frankly some of the ill informed comments on this forum about some of the most vunerable people in society is sickening.

and we dont hear of such epidemic problems like this in any other country whom also have plenty of mentally ill people.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #19
Sassicaia
Lieutenant Colonel
Sassicaia's Avatar
Canada
1753
Rep
1,865
Posts

Drives: SMB F80 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

this + easy access to guns
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #20
3.0L
Lieutenant Colonel
3.0L's Avatar
United_States
815
Rep
1,572
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

The sad fact of the matter is the gun genie is out of the bottle. Just like the nuclear genie. Ain’t no going back.

An acquaintance of mine, a former CIA agent, moved to New Zealand about 20 years ago, right after he retired. He mentioned that the crime there is so low, police officers don’t even carry fire arms. In addition, he said there no racism that he can notice. These are the primary reasons he moved away.
__________________
///M235i | Mineral Grey Metallic | Premium Package | Technology Package | Driver Assistance Package | Dakota Coral Red/Black Leather | Harman/Kardon Premium 360 watt sound system | 8-speed automatic

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." -Patrick Moynihan
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #21
insanecoder
Colonel
1143
Rep
2,775
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I understand what is being said here but extreme violence as well as living in bondage under dictators is actually the story of the world.

This piece was clearly written by someone with an ax to grind against the US whether they are a citizen or not. While this tragedy is awful and in no way should be minimized, the argument of an inherent problem with violence in the US is a straw man argument.
not questioning that humans in general are violent.. the history books are quite telling
however violence taken to the level of mass shootings such as here in the USA is clearly on the rise
ergo the soul-searching as to the potential cause.. I too believe its the culture and the acceptance of violence as a solution to everything esp in movies/tv/games.. I suspect we both have lived and seen gentler times..

guns been around since the beginning and easy to obtain since the beginning and its only gotten tougher for the general populace to obtain
that cant be the sole cause

I think the writer is correct, Americans live in a violent culture which is becoming more violent with people becoming desensitized
not saying all people.. just more and more as time goes on it seems
Appreciate 2
SakhirM46394.50
MKSixer6923.00

      02-17-2018, 08:23 PM   #22
Sassicaia
Lieutenant Colonel
Sassicaia's Avatar
Canada
1753
Rep
1,865
Posts

Drives: SMB F80 6MT
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
The sad fact of the matter is the gun genie is out of the bottle. Just like the nuclear genie. Ain’t no going back.

An acquaintance of mine, a former CIA agent, moved to New Zealand about 20 years ago, right after he retired. He mentioned that the crime there is so low, police officers don’t even carry fire arms. In addition, he said there no racism that he can notice. These are the primary reasons he moved away.
I think you're right. There are some many guns circulating there is literally nothing that can be done at this point.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:50 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST