E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Polishing Black Sapphire Metallic

02-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Kevin_S
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i XDrive

Polishing Black Sapphire Metallic

I will be polishing my BSM E90 which has light to medium swirls. I will be using a PC 7424XP, I have orange, white and black LC foam pads. I was thinking of purchasing Menzerna Power Finish 2500 (P203) as a one step polish...will it finish down nicely on black sapphire metallic? or will i absolutely need a super fine finishing polish?? I will be sealing the paint with BlackFire Wet Diamond.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_S View Post
I will be polishing my BSM E90 which has light to medium swirls. I will be using a PC 7424XP, I have orange, white and black LC foam pads. I was thinking of purchasing Menzerna Power Finish 2500 (P203) as a one step polish...will it finish down nicely on black sapphire metallic? or will i absolutely need a super fine finishing polish?? I will be sealing the paint with BlackFire Wet Diamond.
Black Sapphire Metallic is quite hard... meaning you will need a more aggressive product/pad combo to remove the same type of defects from say Jet Black.

Menzerna MC2500 should certainly finish down nicely on this color. Keep in mind this polish uses diminishing abrasive technology (DAT), meaning the abrasives start at one size and will break down into smaller pieces as you work it. These types of products may need to be worked longer than others to achieve the best finish.

You will never know exactly what product/pad combo you need until you have completed your testing... check out this article to better understand how to determine your plan of attack by analyzing your test spot results.
Analyzing Your Test Spot by Zach McGovern

Here are a couple examples of BSM vehicles I have posted in the past. You'll notice each of these were in quite poor shape and required a heavier cutting step to begin with.

Black Sapphire Metallic X5 - Corrected & Coated
BMW M6 Gran Coupe - Sapphire Black - Paint Correction & 22ple Coating Application

Let me know if you have any other questions

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 1