E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > A little support

04-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
A little support

Why was Yoro's thread closed?

What the hell with all this censorship do gooder politically correct sh*t....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

I enjoyed every single comment on that thread. Shame that its closed.
      04-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

It was never going to end well, I knew it from the start.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

i missed it

Highlights?

[Seen it..]
      04-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
It was never going to end well, I knew it from the start.

Matt
You have always been the voice of reason, Matt

It was an interesting debate and I thought it got shut down too soon....but there was kind of an inevitability that it would descend into needs-to-be-shut-down territory within another page or two!
      04-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Seems to be back... Its just 2 pages now but I can see it. Can you guys?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Seems to be back... Its just 2 pages now but I can see it. Can you guys?

Matt
I don't think it ever went away,it just got closed.

I can't think why ,perhaps someone got carried away with their language,and someone got all sensitive and complained,bless!

On the other hand,perhaps Polly Toynbee sent the mods a PM because someone confused her with me.

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Aye. I'm on a tablet - the quick reply box is still there so I didnt realise it was locked!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I think the mods should at least give an explanation for closing a thread!...

what?! just because there's a few swear words and some people got all "hurt" and offended, the thread is closed?!! ...
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Yes they closed it right when i found this on another forum

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-benefits.html

I held off contributing to the original thread. I dont have the answers and i accept there are people out there that need realistic benefits but there are more claiming and taking the piss, like in the link above.

I simply dont understand how she can claim that much. How on earth is it possible. If she doesnt have an income why isn't she forced into a council house and forced to get work or loose benefits. I dont want people to pick holes with my comments, i dont understand the system, i dont have the answers all i know is it's fucked... and that is me believing most of whats written in a daily mail article which i dont normally do... but i can believe it this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post

I held off contributing to the original thread. I dont have the answers and i accept there are people out there that need realistic benefits but there are more claiming and taking the piss, like in the link above.

I simply dont understand how she can claim that much. How on earth is it possible. If she doesnt have an income why isn't she forced into a council house and forced to get work or loose benefits. I dont want people to pick holes with my comments, i dont understand the system, i dont have the answers all i know is it's fucked... and that is me believing most of whats written in a daily mail article which i dont normally do... but i can believe it this time.

Those piss takers abusing the system should be sent to North Korea! or better, send them cants to China and make them work for 50p a month in some factory....teach them a lesson....
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

A real shame that the original thread was closed. Some good, if heated, debate there. My takeaway is that Benefit reforms have real public support and probably do not go far enough. The Labour Party are misjudging the public mood and have been responsible for the growth in welfare dependancy, the chief architect being Gordon 'blinky' Brown, who as Chancellor set out to spread the tentacles of State welfare dependancy right up the income scale for wholly political aims.

If anyone wants to know the effect of benefit changes on a severely disabled 22 year old man (my son) I am happy to happy to answer any questions. In a nutshell, he is not effected and continues to have the appropriate support of the Welfare State, in the true spirit of Sir William Beveridges original intent.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #13
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I'm amazed whenever I hear people claiming that there are no jobs - I am recruiting heavily at the moment (or should I say 'trying to recruit') in what is supposed to be one of the....err, lets just say 'less affluent' areas of the country, my point being that unemployment is supposed to be higher than average. We're just looking for call centre sales and service advisors with a pay range in the mid-top end of what the role commands in our area....plus great benefits.

And it seems that higher unemployment does not bringeth a higher volume of quality applicants (of course this is obvious in more stable times but even the last few years have presented very few really good people - it seems they are all still in work!)

We just can't get enough decent people though the door - the quality of applicant is dire and whilst it's never been great, right now it's as bad as I've seen in 10 years. We just can't get people who want to even be offered a job in many cases, never mind actually work!

And it doesn't get better as we recruit for more senior roles - I currently have a variety of team and project management positions up for grabs, paying between £25k to over £40k. OK, not London salaries but again, extremely competitive within a wide catchment area and working for a well known company. Maybe I'm being picky but the quality of person is average at best and it horrifies me that some of the people I see have actually held (or still hold) responsible positions in other businesses! Most wouldn't last their probation period working for my team!

So, I'm pretty confident that there are jobs out there for anyone who
a) wants to get a job in the first place
b) wants to turn up for work and do a good job and not forgetting from an employers point of view.....
c) is actually capable of doing the job!

With whats happening in society, it's no wonder that;
  • a) is proving a challenge
  • and is it just me or is the c) situation actually getting worse and we're seeing a decline in capability in general?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post

The current system is designed so that you don't have to downgrade your lifestyle. So you can keep your ridiculously over priced house and the tax payer picks up the bill

It's much like divorce. Marry a billionaire, divorce 5 years later and the courts deem that it is completely inhumane that you should not be able to continue the lifestyle you had spending someone else's money and order them to pay extraordinary sums.

Anyway, this is what happens when every risk is taxpayer backed. Failures succeed and suckers pay. It's the backbone of our financial system too.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
djgandy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I'm amazed whenever I hear people claiming that there are no jobs - I am recruiting heavily at the moment (or should I say 'trying to recruit') in what is supposed to be one of the....err, lets just say 'less affluent' areas of the country, my point being that unemployment is supposed to be higher than average. We're just looking for call centre sales and service advisors with a pay range in the mid-top end of what the role commands in our area....plus great benefits.

And it seems that higher unemployment does not bringeth a higher volume of quality applicants (of course this is obvious in more stable times but even the last few years have presented very few really good people - it seems they are all still in work!)

We just can't get enough decent people though the door - the quality of applicant is dire and whilst it's never been great, right now it's as bad as I've seen in 10 years. We just can't get people who want to even be offered a job in many cases, never mind actually work!

And it doesn't get better as we recruit for more senior roles - I currently have a variety of team and project management positions up for grabs, paying between £25k to over £40k. OK, not London salaries but again, extremely competitive within a wide catchment area and working for a well known company. Maybe I'm being picky but the quality of person is average at best and it horrifies me that some of the people I see have actually held (or still hold) responsible positions in other businesses! Most wouldn't last their probation period working for my team!

So, I'm pretty confident that there are jobs out there for anyone who
a) wants to get a job in the first place
b) wants to turn up for work and do a good job and not forgetting from an employers point of view.....
c) is actually capable of doing the job!

With whats happening in society, it's no wonder that;
  • a) is proving a challenge
  • and is it just me or is the c) situation actually getting worse and we're seeing a decline in capability in general?
Our company has been recruiting non stop for years now. We can't fill roles because people just aren't good enough. The standard isn't even that high either. Better results actually come from pre-uni interns! They are more enthusiastic at least. We aren't employing people who know everything already. We just want people who have some good knowledge, but more importantly can learn and have an interest in what we do.

This is the problem with so many micky mouse degrees. Education inflation I like to call it. Such a lack of engineering grads.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #16
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

I've employeed a few polish a Czech and an Argentinian.

English aren't focused and aren't hungry plus tonnes of people apply without relevant skills.

I've now given up running a tech team in the uk I now have a small team in the Ukraine. We only have a few core people in the uk now.

For our data engineers I now recruit people who have OCD or extremely anal and driven who might do a job totally unrelated, head hunted.

I'm currently looking for another data engineer and nobody is suitable. The person I end up employeeing will be someone I meet randomly who is unusually driven. Posting job adverts is just a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #17
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
The opposite also applies to the last few posts. I'm too young to retire but have been looking for a job in my line of work for several years now and even though I have applied for jobs going down to half of what I used to earn, I still get no takers.

The problems are
1 In Scotland where the construction industry has half collapsed.
2 Ageism by companies (or at least the middle manager types who do the interviewing)
3 Fear of said middle managers that I would take their jobs from them because I am more qualified and more experienced than they are.
4 If it's a lower level job then they assume that I wouldn't find it a challenge, or I would be bored, or as soon as the market picked up (aye, right) I would leave for a job more suitable to my experience.
5 Now that several years have passed since I last had a full time job they assume I would not be up to speed (yeh, right, the previous 36 years don't count!?)

SO instead I sit using up the remaining life savings, the State doesn't pay me one single penny (despite my previous 5 figure tax & NI annual contributions) and end up with a total of 7 interviews out of 400 applications - oh, and I'm not an average or sub-par surveyor, and my CV shows some work that demonstrates that.

Yet I get nowhere.. (and I don't really know why I've posted this - something in some posts must have sparked it off.)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #18
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Any link?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:40 AM   #19
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

There's no doubt

There's no doubt that a civilized, compassionate society needs a welfare system that:
  • educates children to a level commensurate with their ability
  • Takes care of the disabled and protects the vulnerable
  • Cares for the elderly
  • Provides healthcare for the sick
  • Provides basic emergency help for the unemployed
This is not what we have

What we have is a system that creates droves of poor people through inordinately high indirect taxation, then gets them hooked on benefits for purely political reasons

A system that creates poor and sponsors losers while penalizing success.

Labour's latest campaign against millionaires is a perfect example. Compared to the average worker, a successful, well paid senior manager for example pays:
40-45% income tax vs. 10-20%
No tax free allowance (60% tax rate) vs. £9440 free of tax
28% capital gains tax on investments
40% inheritance tax when he dies (55% on pension investments)

The campaign attacks the very people who pay BY FAR the most tax while taking the LEAST from the welfare and benefits system. This is precisely what's wrong with Britain today. A system that not only benefits from and indeed depends on the Golden Goose for its very survival, but one that gives it a good beating every day to make sure it keeps laying.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...44770516,d.d2k
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #20
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Did seem odd the original thread was closed; perhaps we're not allowed to debate politics any more, despite there being no personal attacks that I saw.

I'll give the "North Korea" thread about an hour...
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #21
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
It's a pity it's closed and Fulcrum had the last say in the matter, as they have clearly never had to claim genuine benefit from the Government of the day.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 03:18 AM   #22
A_P
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

+1 Shame it is closed. I turn away for a few days and miss a great debate. Some great points raised. Unlike the NK thread which is played out.
Appreciate 0