E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Misfires

04-13-2018, 08:56 AM   #1
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z3 coupe, 128i

Misfires

I actually have a 128i, and am cross posting this, as there are many more members on this forum. Any help is appreciated.
2010 128i N51 engine. No engine mods. 70k miles

Ok, so here is the situation.
Car starts to misfire at high RPM/load. Once it starts to misfire, cylinders 5 and 6 die. The car then has NO power, and a runs really rough. I shut the car off, and restart it, and everything smooths out, until I get a good load/lot of revs.
I can clear the codes, and everything is fine, then I rev the car and every single time, I go to redline, it misfires, SES light comes on as the revs drop, and it runs like ass again.

Codes are P0300 (multiple cylinders misfire) , P030x (cylinders 4-6 individually listed)

So far...
I have replaced spark plugs - nothing
Switched coils from 1-3 and 4-6 front bank to rear bank - Still get identical codes, so basically nothing. (I ordered all new coils today anyway)
Fuel pressure seems to be good as read by INPA. Something like 690ish kPa, and steady, no fluctuations.

I changed the Eccentric shaft sensor about 3 months ago.

Am I missing something here? Why in the F*#$ is this happening? I completely missed a TT at gateway, (after driving there) and have one coming up at Mid-O next weekend. I NEED to figure this out.

I do have have the INPA tool from bimmergeeks, but no experience with it. If there is something I should be looking at with it, any advise is appreciated.

Last edited by bionicbelly; 04-13-2018 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
jericho_17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Interested! I had missfires in cylinders 5 and 6 last week with the same symtomps that you had, restart the car and everything working fine. Erased the codes and next day take to redline a couple of times and the problem hasn't replied again and the codes hasn't appeared but i'm worried that this can happen again. Mine is a 330 n52.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
nvturbo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

if you are certain the coils are still good, likely it's not getting enough fuel perhaps. Fuel pump or injectors??
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvturbo View Post
if you are certain the coils are still good, likely it's not getting enough fuel perhaps. Fuel pump or injectors??
I can't say for sure that is is not injectors, but fuel pressure is consistent and good. Fuel injectors are not likely though, as these are just good old plain port injectors, and the likelihood of three going bad at once is pretty low at 70k miles. I am really wondering about cam/crank sensors, and how to moniter those. Unfortunately, my INPA thing is in german, so I have no idea what I am looking at.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:25 AM   #5
JWG335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Xdrive

HELP

Hey guys, newbie here... and I apologize if this is a very silly question. I'm having issues with my 2011 335i Xdrive. Threw different codes after going into limp mode with a "service engine soon" light flashing and the old half engine block on the dash. It threw

2BF8-rail pressure sensor, signal permanently stuck
2C01- High fuel pressure, plausibility Pressure too low
2EFE-Misfire, several cylinders: damaging to catalytic converter or damaging exhaust gas
2F01-Misfire, Cylinder 3
2F02-Cylinder 4
2EFF- cylinder 1
2EE0- Combustion misfiring, several cylinders fuel injection deactivation
2EE4-Combustion misfiring, cylinder 1 fuel injection deactivation
2EEA-Combustion misfiring, cylinder 3 fuel injection deactivation
2EED-Combustion misfiring, cylinder 4 Fuel injection deactivation

I was able to drive it to the dealership I work at, because after I restarted the car, it ran just fine. They cleared the codes and told me to drive it over night to see if anything popped back up. Something did.

DTC-36FD

Which appears to having something to do with my main relay/fuse box

I should note, my father in-law did just put a new cold air intake on the vehicle.

64000 miles.

Anyone have any similar experiences or maybe some words of wisdom I may be able to use? Just put 2k worth of work into this car that I just bought 45 days ago. Replaced the water pump and thermostat. Its my dream car and I love it, so I'm hoping this may just be a simple fix.

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
bionicbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Update: If found the problem. I switched all the injectors around, new coils, new plugs, switched O2 sensors around, cam sensors, and it STILL had 4-5-6 misfires. I pulled the manifolds off, and the 4-5-6 catalytic converter was plugged. There are kind of two elements, the chamber has a step in it, and both sections have separate catalysts. On this manifold, the top element melted, and plugged the lower.
I cut windows in both cats, pulled all the substrate out, and my good friend welded them back up, and all is good.
Appreciate 0