E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Quick Procede install help? Extra connectors?

05-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
boostd92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M-Sport

Garage List
Quick Procede install help? Extra connectors?

I called Vishnu first but got the answering machine. It's probably lunch there and I'm usually pretty patient but the girlfriend called and I have to be at a wake earlier than anticipated.

I have everything installed and "clicked" in...nothing was too difficult - the crank sensor wasn't even that bad.

Now I have leftovers... I have the newest procede version and it came with the USB cable (no serial needed [?]). After plugging everything in I have a small 2 wire connector and a serial connector left over. Do I need to plug these in? They are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions.

Also, is there a how-to for running the datalogging cable into the cabin?

Thanks!! I'm really pressed for time
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
ian2002525
台灣 台北市
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 GT-R Premium

Garage List
2011 335i coupe  [9.00]
i only know the serial connector is going to connect to your laptop/pc to do user setting, firmware updating, datalogging...etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
^^ I've got a rev3 or whatever the latest is, it has USB native proced unit and cable that's what the picture of that cable is, there is a printer style usb female on the procede box that the USB cable plugs right into. I'm guessing that serial is for people who are using older laptops? Is the smaller connector something for PWM meth maybe?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Well, I have to drive the car now so I said eff it and started her up leaving those two things not connected.

It started and idled just fine. When the cold start idle came down I gave it a few rolling gentle revs and it chugged hard... didn't want to go past 2500 rpm or so. Map display using cruise control is working fine, and switching is working fine with the DTC button.

I set it to map1 and tried again... chug chug chug and then the engine malfunction light came on.

I then turned the car off, locked it, and the opened and restarted. It appears to be running fine now... revved smoothly up to 4-5k (still not totally warm). I have to hop in the shower so I can make it to this wake. Hopefully it runs as smooth under load (fingers crossed).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Hi! Read the install instruction, a first check engine right after install is normal and expected. Clear everything by itself and everything should be fine.

Your serial end on the harness is unused in your case, it's for Rev 2 and Rev 2.5 unit. Your rev 3 uses the included USB cable.

The small two pins is for meth kit connection. Your next purchase

Enjoy your car now

What octane are you using? And what other mods you have?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

... and running the cable in the cabin is quite easy, just slide the usb cable in the small channel in the ecu box toward the passenger. It will show directly in the cabin, visible.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
boostd92
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Thanks! I found that pass through in the ECU box... wow that was really easy! I come from 90's era turbocharged cars and was prepared to poke grommets, etc, that was a nice surprise.

At the moment I have the BMS intake and the latest Vangaurd exhaust, otherwise stock. I have abundant 93 octane gas and also E85. I was running an E85 mix without issue prior to the Procede and buying the Procede was primarily to get the most out of the E85 mix I was using. I figured I should take baby steps though and this first tank is pure 93 octane.

No where in the N55 instructions does it tell you where to get the software for the laptop... didn't even come in the box.. that seems like a very basic oversight.

I downloaded the PROcede User Tuning Interface v5.31 from the Procedtuning website. Is this the right software? I thought that software was for people who want to edit/write their own maps...
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #8
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes that's the right software. Baby steps sounds like a good way to do it while learning. But you gave a great set of mods already and you are golden with 93 octane (even more with e85). Once you are ready, after some reading, you might begin with some logs to see exactly how it goes while gradually increasing the boost.
Appreciate 0