E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Nokian Z G2 Tyres

11-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #1
Sir_Pigley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 640d GC / 420i XDrive

Garage List
Nokian Z G2 Tyres

Thought I would write a little report on these tyres after having been a bit vocal about criticizing the Falkens FK452 I had on previously.

The Falkens were the 3rd set that I had put on my 330d and previous 120d. Whilst great for the 120d on the 330d I felt that they wore badly on the front leading to increased road noise and once half worn seemed harsh and unpleasant. I spent a bunch of cash on alignment checks, but the problem remained. The problem was consistently evident on two sets of the Falkens and so I vowed not to fit them again.

Auto Bild magazine rated the Nokians as second only to the Goodyear Eagle F1 (and top in their wet/dry braking test) and as they were substantially cheaper from Oponeo than the Goodyears I thought I would give them a go.

Auto Express Test
Auto Bild Braking Test
Auto Bild Summer Tyre test

The car has been transformed and is far more pleasant to drive than before. Ride comfort and noise are substantially better. The car feels far more planted, especially in the wet and the handling is as good as you would expect.

My driving is mostly on rural roads, with the occasional long jaunt up to the North East. Whilst I do drive quite quickly on back roads I don't think that I am up there with those of you with upgraded suspension and brakes.

I have now taken these tyres off and put on the 17" winter set (Falken Eurowinter). The winter tyres are noticeably more noisy and a bit vague in comparison; but I think that's to be expected.

So my conclusion is that the Nokians are great and well worth a punt for anyone looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the better known premium makes.
Appreciate 0