E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #991
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

IMO milegae has nothing to do with the issue, it can happen at anytime. Mine was fine for around the first 6 months of ownership and then it all started to go wrong.

6600 miles for a car of that age seems very low as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:40 AM   #992
Rass
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport Coup

sorry my mistake 66000 i wish it was only 6600
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #993
daviddimbleby
Rep
Drives: 320i msport

Bmw Campaign

So after calling around last week a few garages to ask for help I eventually called BMW Fairfield in Leigh-on-sea and spoke to someone in the parts dept. I asked the guy if he could help with the problems I've been having, (engine light coming on and car 'jerking' and conking out etc.) and he replied "sorry but I can't discuss this with you". I guess I was quite naive to think he would anyway. Anyway I asked him to put me through to the service dept. Whilst being transferred I was so close to just hanging up as I thought I would just get nowhere again, but in the end I was glad I didn't.

I told the guy the issues I was having with the car and he told me 'there is a campaign going on with this model' (57 plate E92). So gave him my number plate and after popping it into his computer he came back and said my car was part of this campaign and to bring it in as soon as possible to have the 4 coils changed free of charge.

I was so relieved that BMW had obviously acknowledged the problem and were finally doing something about it!!

So took the car on Wednesday morning and by the afternoon it was done so went to pick up.

When I got there speaking to the guy at his desk, he suddenly pushed an invoice in my direction. It was for a diagnostics and came to about £75.

I told him that I didn't ask for this to be done so why should I pay for it. He quickly pulled the invoice back and out of view so that I couldn't see the faults that were showing from the diagnostics...but I already checked it out and saw that it said cam sensor fault.

Anyway after that he said the mechanic had swapped my inlet and exhaust pipe around to determine if one was faulty or something ( I'm not very clued up on cars!!). He then gave me my key back and said that's it I can go.

It was all a bit abrupt in the end. He said it's likely that the fault would show up again which made me quite suspicious about this whole thing. I asked for a receipt to say this work on the coils had been carried out and he said there is no receipt. Nothing to say they had done anything!!! Just found this really weird. I asked if there was a warranty on the coils he had fitted and he said "no you cant warranty a warranty"???? what the hell does that mean??

I'm gonna wrap up now....

I drove home and after about 20 miles going about 60/65mph I felt my car pull or judder sharply twice.... I knew my engine light was about to come on and within 5 seconds it did.

At high speeds it was ok but again as I came up to a roundabout or traffic lights and slowed down the car just wanted to 'give up' and conk out. Had to keep revving the car to stop it from cutting out.

Pulled up to my drive and just sat there with the engine on. The RPM level was just going up and down untill it went so far down it cut out and then automatically started itself with a bit of difficulty.

Am I being stupid or am I right in saying this can't just be a sensor problem. Surely a sensor 'senses' a fault and just fixing the sensor doesn't actually fix the fault?! I don't know. But I feel there must be a problem with the amount of fuel being distributed to the engine or something.

Could it be the fuel pump or injectors or spark plugs or a combination or what?

My advice to anyone would be to call up your local BMW dealerships and mention this campaign thing so you can at least get the coils changed free!!

Love this car, really don't wanna give it up yet!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #994
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

What year is your car?
My nearest dealer is Kent.
I will ring them at sometime, but the thing is, my car runs fine and absolutely fine.

where about are you in Essex?
You should get your codes read first to find the fault and then take it from there.
      04-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #995
daviddimbleby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
What year is your car?
My nearest dealer is Kent.
I will ring them at sometime, but the thing is, my car runs fine and absolutely fine.

where about are you in Essex?
You should get your codes read first to find the fault and then take it from there.
2007, 57 plate. I was originally going to take it to a dealership in Kent as I work there but closest to where I live was the Leigh-on-sea one. Live in chafford hundred near the QE2 bridge.

By codes do u mean a diagnostics? Because they did that and it came up wit the cam sensor being the fault but think its more than just a sensor. Had the car for 1 year and first 8 months it was fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #996
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddimbleby View Post
2007, 57 plate. I was originally going to take it to a dealership in Kent as I work there but closest to where I live was the Leigh-on-sea one. Live in chafford hundred near the QE2 bridge.

By codes do u mean a diagnostics? Because they did that and it came up wit the cam sensor being the fault but think its more than just a sensor. Had the car for 1 year and first 8 months it was fine.
Kool, I will ring dealer in Kent to find out if mine are covered.
Interesting, you live near to Nick, and I live on London road.
      04-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #997
daviddimbleby
Rep

Quote:
Kool, I will ring dealer in Kent to find out if mine are covered.
Interesting, you live near to Nick, and I live on London road.
Ok cool. Might see you around. I'll be the one parked up on the side with the hazards on!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #998
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddimbleby View Post
Ok cool. Might see you around. I'll be the one parked up on the side with the hazards on!!!

And you will find my car anywhere...it is unique from the front as you can see in my signature....
And all they way black from the back.
      04-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #999
liam89
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92

Hi Everyone, i took my car in to Sytner Coventry today after the 1st coil went again (i have already replaced all 4, injectors and spark plugs).

They have confirmed that there is now a recall which is available to me which will fix this problem.

Today is my lucky day i dont have to sell the car anymore!
      04-21-2012, 03:42 AM   #1000
Maltom
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3series 320i

Looking for help. 320i 2003, driver door will not unlock on central locking with key or fob. Need to use internal door handle twice to open. All other doors open ok. Any thoughts? Locks ok but not open. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #1001
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Down to 30mpg, what sort of driving and which gearbox?

I do 25 miles per day mainly town driving but due to my shifts, no traffic but still only getting 30mpg, although mine is auto.
I've been reading this forum lately and when I read the kind of mpg you guys get I feel kind of astonished.
I got a 2006 320i a few months ago. The car feels fine, smooth and very fast. No major problems so far. Oh yes, I get some rough idling, specially with the A/C off, it even stalls and shuts off sometimes if I turn the wheel completely before warming up with the A/C off. Living in the caribbean (sorry for invading the UK forum ), driving withouth A/C is out of the question so I doesn't really bother me that much.

Up until reading this forum I was quite happy with the fuel consumption I'm getting. My other car is a large SUV and compared to it, the 320i feels like it runs on air!. But...I now feel like an idiot because my 320i never gives me more than 18/19 mpg in city driving. It does rise to 24/25 on highways. I read you guys get up in the 30s mpg even with struggling engines and I don't know what to think.

You'd think that a car with such poor fuel consumption compared to others of the same kind must have some major issues, but mine does not appear to show any symptoms. Any advice?

Last edited by Castle; 05-02-2012 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #1002
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
I've been reading this forum lately and when I read the kind of mpg you guys get I feel kind of astonished.
I got a 2006 320i a few months ago. The car feels fine, smooth and very fast. No major problems so far. Oh yes, I get some rough idling, specially with the A/C off, it even stalls and shuts off sometimes if I turn the wheel completely before warming up with the A/C off. Living in the caribbean (sorry for invading the UK forum ), driving withouth A/C is out of the question so I doesn't really bother me that much.

Up until reading this forum I was quite happy with the fuel consumption I'm getting. My other car is a large SUV and compared to it, the 320i feels like it runs on air!. But...I now feel like an idiot because my 320i never gives me more than 18/19 mpg in city driving. It does rise to 24/25 on highways. I read you guys get up in the 30s mpg even with struggling engines and I don't know what to think.

You'd think that a car with such poor fuel consumption compared to others of the same kind must have some major issues, but mine does not appear to show any symptoms. Any advice?
Couple of things to consider
1- Fuel there (how impure is it?)
2- High temperature (Car gives you best MPG at moderate temp, approx 17-25 and after that mpg starts to drop)
3- Condition of roads (how smooth are they?)
4- What wheels do you use?
5- Which oil do you use? (should use 5-40w in your country).

All these factors can contribute toward good or poor fuel economy.
      05-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #1003
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Quote:
Couple of things to consider
1- Fuel there (how impure is it?)
2- High temperature (Car gives you best MPG at moderate temp, approx 17-25 and after that mpg starts to drop)
3- Condition of roads (how smooth are they?)
4- What wheels do you use?
5- Which oil do you use? (should use 5-40w in your country).

All these factors can contribute toward good or poor fuel economy.
Well, need say no more then...

On the fuel or wheels front, I don't think there are any problems. I usually fill it up with Shell V-Power and still use the standard wheels.
However, temperature...well, at this time of year is usually above 30 during the day which is mostly the time I use the car.
Conditions of roads...mixed. Good in highways, not so good in some internal streets (lots of street bumps in residential areas).
Oil...I've only changed it once, and I used Mobil 0-40W as was the only one I found meeting LL requirements (besides the insanely expensive BMW oil, that is). Will try 5-40W per your advice.

I guess your insights help me breathe a lot easier...
I'm still happy with the 320i mpg as a daily driver, as the SUV only gives me around 9/10 mpg. With the gas prices around here, that still accounts for some 10k US$ a year in savings

Last edited by Castle; 05-03-2012 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #1004
Jsc320i
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i Edition M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by liam89 View Post
Hi Everyone, i took my car in to Sytner Coventry today after the 1st coil went again (i have already replaced all 4, injectors and spark plugs).

They have confirmed that there is now a recall which is available to me which will fix this problem.

Today is my lucky day i dont have to sell the car anymore!
Good evening all

I took my car for an oil service today (vines guildford) and they advised there is faulty batch of coils out there so they will check mine and replace if necessary, luckily for me they were all replaced. This is good news they are finally doing something about the issue!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #1005
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsc320i View Post
Good evening all

I took my car for an oil service today (vines guildford) and they advised there is faulty batch of coils out there so they will check mine and replace if necessary, luckily for me they were all replaced. This is good news they are finally doing something about the issue!
What is production date of your car?
      05-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #1006
Jsc320i
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i Edition M Sport

Quote:
What is production date of your car?
I believe it was June 2008 (well it says that on a sticker under the bonnet)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #1007
Scott221290
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320I

2007 320I misfire

Hi everyone

Just rang BMW williams manchester, and told them about the issues I am having. They have said there is a quality issue with the coils and would replace them if needed. Taking it in next tuesday, will post back with feedback of what goes on. It seems like mentioned previously they are finally admitting problems. Car has only got 24000 on the clock so wouldn't expect these problems.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #1008
pez
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 320i SE

Hi guys

went to BMW Scothall and can confirm they are replacing coils for everyone under a recall (they call it a product enhancement) lol...

fingers crossed this works !
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #1009
martin0
Registered
Jersey
Rep
Drives: 320i

I've got a Sept 2009 E90 320i. Had it two months now. ~24,000miles on clock.
The engine has started coughing and then the engine light came on.

Taking to garage tomorrow.
Martin
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #1010
bigdave196
Rep
Drives: E90 08 320i Edition MSport

Starting to get fed up with this now. I had all the coils replaced last month under that recall.

Wednesday I was driving from Southampton up to Hull and the engine light came on but no message. Car felt fine and made it there no problems. Coming back today I'd just got off the M40 onto the A34 and it suddenly looses power and goes into limp mode. Limp along doing 50-60 mph and it felt rough as a bag of spanners, get to within about 5 miles of home when it suddenly completely looses power and says "DSC Failure". Had to stop as it wouldn't go, and it started kangarooing when I pulled away.

Managed to get it to work again by turning it all off and on again, and no more messages about DSC failure. Can't possibly be coils again can it?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #1011
terenam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i SE

Excellent idea. Had my 320i for six years no issues so far.....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #1012
shortie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M sport

35k on the clock and looks like Coilpack is playing up again. Last time Network refused to replace them all under warranty.

Also got traction control failure warning lights so im off now to take it back to the garage.