E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > How important is the age of a car?

02-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #67
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Nicola - No lol.

Peter - Thanks for that info. re. the manual box. One man has even said the manual box on the turbo was awful because as soon as you set off in 1st, you almost immediately have to change to 2nd, such is the power delivery. Well I'm sorry but imo surely that's predominately down to the driver? If the manual box is as per the Cayman S then hell fire, it will do very nicely thank you!! You know yourself it's ideally positioned for the driver and the gear changes can be done effortlessly and smoothly. But no, they have two 997 turbo's for sale and both are tiptronic.

I need to have a drive in a manual one, no doubts on that score.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #68
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Nicola - No lol.

Peter - Thanks for that info. re. the manual box. One man has even said the manual box on the turbo was awful because as soon as you set off in 1st, you almost immediately have to change to 2nd, such is the power delivery. Well I'm sorry but imo surely that's predominately down to the driver? If the manual box is as per the Cayman S then hell fire, it will do very nicely thank you!! You know yourself it's ideally positioned for the driver and the gear changes can be done effortlessly and smoothly. But no, they have two 997 turbo's for sale and both are tiptronic.

I need to have a drive in a manual one, no doubts on that score.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #69
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Good stuff, no chocolates for you yet!

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #70
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Sounds like a top car Helen! Looks amazing also

Has the front bumper been replaced as it looks like it has the new style indicators or are all the turbo's like that?

Regarding the age I would not worry tbh. 56 from an 07 is only 6 months diiference anyway.OK, I suppose this could be early 56 and yours a late 07 but with a decent warranty that can be renewed each year, the car with only 11k miles on it, should give years of trouble free motoring.

I am surprised though that you are considering a tiptronic as when I was considering 997's you seemed quite against them? I can see the difference in a turbo though, but a crap box is a crap box? Are the tiptronic turbo's as less desirable as they are in the Carerra's? All the ones I looked at seemed a couple of grand cheaper in tiptronic guise? If there is a price difference then that may also prove a manual would be better.

Driving the pdk car has prob spoiled you though

If you buy it when can I have a go!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #71
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli View Post
Good stuff, no chocolates for you yet!
Oli - can relate to your comments about the tiptronic. Thorntons please.

Paul - That is the standard front bumper on the 997 turbos.

Agree with the age, the car still felt like new and the more I think about it, I'm beginning to feel that the car hasn't been driven hard tbh, almost still felt a bit tight.

It wasn't my thoughts about the tiptronic per se, more that as you know, I would have wanted the generation II engine with PDK, so yes spoiled having driven one. The second hand values of the Carrera's are affected by being tiptronic but not PDK. The turbos from my research are not affected by gearbox derivative, in fact the 997 turbos currently available at OPC's, only one is manual! If I was being cynical, I could almost believe that new, these cars are predominately bought by those with money but not necessarily the where with all of how to drive them or are 'shy' of the power.

I wouldn't say the tiptronic is crap as such but as we've dicussed before when you are laying out your hard earned, then you want the car to be right. Today I came away thinking that yes, what a bloody cracking car but would I want to pay X to change (haven't even discussed money yet), and be happy living with that tiptronic box? Answer - not entirely sure, so need to have a go in a manual, but they seem a bit thin on the ground, at least from OPC's.

You can have a go anytime Paul.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #72
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
At 11k miles the thing is barely run in! Will prob have been owned by some business exec who cares more for his image then his driving

If it felt tight, then thats a good sign, gives YOU chance to run it in a little harder, and feel the benefits

If the values are similar for a turbo tip or manual, then there is obviously not buyers talking with their feet (ie, not shying away from tip boxed cars like the C2S derivatives) - that's a good sign!

You need to find a manual version and see what it performs like back to back.

I think I exagerated when I said it was 'crap' - I meant less desirable, as the C2S models seem reknowned for that gearbox not being great, and the used values show this, as a car fitted with that 'box is quite a lot cheaper than a manual version.

Go for it Helen...may have to take you up on your offer
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 04:00 AM   #73
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Having a go in a manual version at the weekend..........feeling it will be probably be better on this type of car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2009, 04:40 AM   #74
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Helen if you buy a 997t before me then ill have to take you over my knee
      02-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #75
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Having a go in a manual version at the weekend..........feeling it will be probably be better on this type of car.
I think the Tiptronic in the turbo is the better seller probably because as you said earlier a lot of people who buy that sort of Car require less Driver enrolment. I did the Porsche Driving experience Day at Silverstone last year in a Turbo (tip) and when taken round Porsche’s Track by there Driver I think it would be difficult to get a Manual 911 to perform as well as the Tiptronic.
They do seem good value for Money at the moment but I wonder how hard they'll hit you on the part ex.
      02-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #76
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
I think the Tiptronic in the turbo is the better seller probably because as you said earlier a lot of people who buy that sort of Car require less Driver enrolment. I did the Porsche Driving experience Day at Silverstone last year in a Turbo (tip) and when taken round Porsche’s Track by there Driver I think it would be difficult to get a Manual 911 to perform as well as the Tiptronic.
They do seem good value for Money at the moment but I wonder how hard they'll hit you on the part ex.
Lol their driver and a track hmm quite possibly. Everyday road use, it just didn't feel right for me and yet the auto box in the 335d was fine, never gave it a second thought. For me just doesn't really suit the car, but it's all personal choice. Currently there is no signs of PDK for the Turbo but I know R&D is taking place.

As for the part ex. well not as bad as I'd thought in all honesty, in fact almost pleasantly surprised. Time will tell as always........

Steve - The chair would collapse mate.
Appreciate 0