E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

02-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #6953
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerg35335 View Post
I do see a couple funky things going on with req boost/boost and actual load vs. req load. Maybe boost overshoot? Here is an additional log.
Nah man, your logs look SOLID. Since you know both LTFT banks are good you can swap out one bank for STFT(for instance LTFT bank 1 and STFT bank 1.)

If you're using virtual dyno to look at the logs sometimes it will make it look like your overboosting when you're not. VD autoscales each individual channel, so it can make it look like some really goofy things are going on when they're not.

Honestly, i don't even use a grapher to look at datalogs. I prefer looking at logs in spreadsheet form. ATR has a built in datalog viewer that works great for viewing it as a spreadsheet.
      02-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #6954
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Nah man, your logs look SOLID. Since you know both LTFT banks are good you can swap out one bank for STFT(for instance LTFT bank 1 and STFT bank 1.)

If you're using virtual dyno to look at the logs sometimes it will make it look like your overboosting when you're not. VD autoscales each individual channel, so it can make it look like some really goofy things are going on when they're not.

Honestly, i don't even use a grapher to look at datalogs. I prefer looking at logs in spreadsheet form. ATR has a built in datalog viewer that works great for viewing it as a spreadsheet.
Great! Thats what I wanna hear! I'll have to check them out in a different form. Atr is just too much fun!!!! I'd rather do this anyday over autotune. (No offense to the jb guys I know its a great product) cobb and atr really lets you know and learn the tune and understand exactly what is going on under the hood. You feel a bit of pride in learning and making proper adjustments. Its definitely for the true enthusiast!
      02-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #6955
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Why would going wot from stop cause like a pause [kinda like if you blew a shift point] almost and then full boost?

Also blinking/flashing DTS light?

DTS light was off before going WOT, and by that I don't mean totally disengaged, just off.

Also throwing P2AAF (quick search said its harmless, but figured I'd add it in just incase its relevant)
Thanks for any help!

Last edited by M5Rlz; 02-16-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 10:49 PM   #6956
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i1 View Post
Why would going wot from stop cause like a pause [kinda like if you blew a shift point] almost and then full boost?

DTS light was off before going WOT, and by that I don't mean totally disengaged, just off.

Also throwing P2AAF (quick search said its harmless, but figured I'd add it in just incase its relevant)
Thanks for any help!
You've already figured it out. Simply pushing the DTC button WILL NOT disable traction control. Part of the traction control system's operation is to close the throttle plate when it sees wheel spin. Once it sees the wheels stop spinning it opens the throttle back up.

2AAF is no big deal as long as it just appears by itself.
      02-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #6957
racerg35335
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Space gray 335i coupe

Quote:

Thanks for any help!
Your traction control is kicking in. Hold the button for 3 seconds until it turns off if you are going to launch the car from a stop. Otherwise, dts will close the throttle to limit spinning. That is why it is falling on its face during a launch.
      02-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #6958
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You've already figured it out. Simply pushing the DTC button WILL NOT disable traction control. Part of the traction control system's operation is to close the throttle plate when it sees wheel spin. Once it sees the wheels stop spinning it opens the throttle back up.

2AAF is no big deal as long as it just appears by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerg35335 View Post
Your traction control is kicking in. Hold the button for 3 seconds until it turns off if you are going to launch the car from a stop. Otherwise, dts will close the throttle to limit spinning. That is why it is falling on its face during a launch.
lol sweet! I really appreciate it guys

I'm just oozing with newb-ness

Even at highway speeds when the traction control is on/limited when you totally turn it off you can almost feel the car get like lighter (or breath better might be a better way of describing it )
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #6959
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

If want to do a different map/ with linear do I need to uninstall and then install. The new map or can I just plug it in and overwrite?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #6960
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If want to do a different map/ with linear do I need to uninstall and then install. The new map or can I just plug it in and overwrite?
All you need to do is just swap maps, no need to uninstall. It shouldn't take more than a minute or two to swap maps.
      02-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #6961
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Exclamation

Hey guys, looking for some insight. I installed Cobb running Stage 1 Sport and have been running it for nearly two months without issue. I really haven't gone WOT or hard on the car at all since I still have my winter tires on and it's too cold for spirited driving anyway. I've checked and the ECU shows no error codes etc. A few days ago I noticed that I didn't hear my Low Pressure Fuel Pump priming the car as it always did when I unlocked it. This has been going on for the past three days. Also, my car takes a tad longer to start unlike before where it was instant. I don't believe this is the HPFP as I've had that issue on my previous car before and this is nothing like that. For whatever reason my LPFP simply isn't priming the fuel system as it's suppose to.

What causes me to think this is something to do with the Cobb tune is when I initially installed the tune the LPFP ran for 10m straight. It really freaked me out but I couldn't stop the update in fear that I would brick the ECU. Now I'm wondering if that initially stressed the LPFP and is now on its last legs. After starting the car today I felt some slight hesitation while idling for about 1m, afterwards it warmed up and drove fine. There also doesn't seem to be any loss in power.

Again, if anyone has any insight into this it would be appreciated. Seriously thinking of ditching Cobb.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #6962
MidwestGolfBum
Knower of all Things Useless
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Hey guys, looking for some insight. I installed Cobb running Stage 1 Sport and have been running it for nearly two months without issue. I really haven't gone WOT or hard on the car at all since I still have my winter tires on and it's too cold for spirited driving anyway. I've checked and the ECU shows no error codes etc. A few days ago I noticed that I didn't hear my Low Pressure Fuel Pump priming the car as it always did when I unlocked it. This has been going on for the past three days. Also, my car takes a tad longer to start unlike before where it was instant. I don't believe this is the HPFP as I've had that issue on my previous car before and this is nothing like that. For whatever reason my LPFP simply isn't priming the fuel system as it's suppose to.

What causes me to think this is something to do with the Cobb tune is when I initially installed the tune the LPFP ran for 10m straight. It really freaked me out but I couldn't stop the update in fear that I would brick the ECU. Now I'm wondering if that initially stressed the LPFP and is now on its last legs. After starting the car today I felt some slight hesitation while idling for about 1m, afterwards it warmed up and drove fine. There also doesn't seem to be any loss in power.

Again, if anyone has any insight into this it would be appreciated. Seriously thinking of ditching Cobb.
I have installed/uninstalled about a dozen or so times for various reasons between my 2 335s and the LPFP runs while doing it. I have never had an issue with the LPP, only the HPFP. How long has the car sat for when it isn't priming? Do you unlock the car before you are near it? Is it in the garage or something while you are in the kitchen, because mine primes then, and I never get it when I open the door. It could be the cold causing some of the longer starts as well. I have an 07 with an original pump that has had the tune on/off probably 8 times and have never had any issues. Not saying it isn't possible that it is the LPP, but seems like there could be other factors at play here, especially since you have had the tune installed for a few months.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #6963
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:

No, you're fine. Depending on how long the vehicle has been sitting the fuel system will lose pressure but it will not prime itself. I think there's a TSIB out for it now where the stealership will flash the DME to fix this, however i think the Cobb flash will revert it back to the old logic. Fortunately, It's not hurting anything.
      02-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #6964
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestGolfBum View Post
How long has the car sat for when it isn't priming? Do you unlock the car before you are near it?
From when I parked last night until I went to start it this morning the car sat for 12 hours in the garage, doors locked.
Quote:
Is it in the garage or something while you are in the kitchen, because mine primes then, and I never get it when I open the door.
I unlock the car as I'm walking up to it and I also don't start the car until the system is primed. The car has always primed itself upon unlocking the doors which is by design. This is the behavior stock or with the tune. This recent behavior is new and never happened before.
Quote:
It could be the cold causing some of the longer starts as well. I have an 07 with an original pump that has had the tune on/off probably 8 times and have never had any issues. Not saying it isn't possible that it is the LPP, but seems like there could be other factors at play here, especially since you have had the tune installed for a few months.
Sure, there are lots of other factors to consider with a slightly longer start and a slightly rough idle but that still doesn't explain why the LPFP is no longer priming the system.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #6965
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
No, you're fine. Depending on how long the vehicle has been sitting the fuel system will lose pressure but it will not prime itself. I think there's a TSIB out for it now where the stealership will flash the DME to fix this, however i think the Cobb flash will revert it back to the old logic. Fortunately, It's not hurting anything.
I've had my car for over 2 years and it's always primed the fuel system when I unlock the doors. If there's a TSB/SIB for LPFP I can't find one. I'm not convinced this is nothing to worry about.

Can someone from Cobb please chime in?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #6966
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
I've had my car for over 2 years and it's always primed the fuel system when I unlock the doors. If there's a TSB/SIB for LPFP I can't find one. I'm not convinced this is nothing to worry about.

Can someone from Cobb please chime in?
I think I have noticed, if I leave my car unlocked over night (in the garage) sometimes I don't hear the prime. But for sure if it was locked, I always hear the prime upon unlocking. Comfort Access

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #6967
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

My car with Cobb flash always primes after it's been off for a while.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #6968
fabian
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

heyho,

I`ve got two questions which drive me bananes here in the office without the change to get to my car ;-/
a few days ago my chargepipe poped off my throttle body during acceleration. After that I had nearly no power, no push from the turbo...
just had a few minutes to my garage where I fixed it. Afterwards I`m just wondering why there was no Enginelight, even no fault code was found with the AP.
Is this normal? I would expect a "boost under target" error or something like this, but nothing.

with this in mind I come to my second question ;-)
My current setup: 135i AT + DCI + AMS FMIC + Forge DV + Catback Exhaust + OTS Stage1+ Sport LT (no downpipes installed yet)

the car makes the expected power within the first 2-3 gears but at least at the 4th gear the power is a bit lagge before 4000rpm.
The car pulls until 4000rpm but feels a bit held and then after 4000rpm it REALLY makes power... the difference is very noticeable, like changing from 50% throttle to 100%

Still no Error codes.
Sitting here in the office I could imagine so many things but hmmm, what do you think?

- ECU learned bullshit because of the "now fixed" boost leak?
- Boost overshooted and is beeing retarded?
- Timing correction (logged about a month ago without timing corrections in the sports map but this was before FMIC, DCI, Forge DV install)
- Leaking Forge DVs? or maybe laggy DV reaction?
- another boost leak?

had no time and not really dry roads this days for logging ;-/

EDIT: or maybe this is due to the restictive oem downpipes which are still installed ?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #6969
Slops
Major General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG

Have you guys had timing pulled on one cylinder and none on the others? What will cause this?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #6970
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian View Post
heyho,

I`ve got two questions which drive me bananes here in the office without the change to get to my car ;-/
a few days ago my chargepipe poped off my throttle body during acceleration. After that I had nearly no power, no push from the turbo...
just had a few minutes to my garage where I fixed it. Afterwards I`m just wondering why there was no Enginelight, even no fault code was found with the AP.
Is this normal? I would expect a "boost under target" error or something like this, but nothing.

with this in mind I come to my second question ;-)
My current setup: 135i AT + DCI + AMS FMIC + Forge DV + Catback Exhaust + OTS Stage1+ Sport LT (no downpipes installed yet)

the car makes the expected power within the first 2-3 gears but at least at the 4th gear the power is a bit lagge before 4000rpm.
The car pulls until 4000rpm but feels a bit held and then after 4000rpm it REALLY makes power... the difference is very noticeable, like changing from 50% throttle to 100%

Still no Error codes.
Sitting here in the office I could imagine so many things but hmmm, what do you think?

- ECU learned bullshit because of the "now fixed" boost leak?
- Boost overshooted and is beeing retarded?
- Timing correction (logged about a month ago without timing corrections in the sports map but this was before FMIC, DCI, Forge DV install)
- Leaking Forge DVs? or maybe laggy DV reaction?
- another boost leak?

had no time and not really dry roads this days for logging ;-/

EDIT: or maybe this is due to the restictive oem downpipes which are still installed ?
It's probably that there just isn't enough gear eduction in 4th gear for the car to start pulling until you get some revs up. The catted DPs definitely aren't helping, either.
      02-21-2013, 09:03 AM   #6971
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slops View Post
Have you guys had timing pulled on one cylinder and none on the others? What will cause this?
How bad are the corrections? If it just one cylinder that occasionally makes corrections then that's probably just a noisey cylinder.

If it's a cylinder that always makes corrections regardless of the map or octane then it's probably a plug, coil or injector on it's way out.
      02-21-2013, 09:27 AM   #6972
fabian
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i

thanks, and what would you recommend? ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #6973
Chicks-Love-Bimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I have some questions about Cobb AP before I decide to buy one. First, if I buy a used Cobb AP and the owner never "unmarried" their unit, would it render the unit I bought useless? Does Cobb offer a wastegate fix for the wastegate rattle? And if I get my Cobb protuned and then go back to stock for a dealer visit, would the pro tune still be on there? Thanks for any responses!
      02-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #6974
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks-Love-Bimmers View Post
I have some questions about Cobb AP before I decide to buy one. First, if I buy a used Cobb AP and the owner never "unmarried" their unit, would it render the unit I bought useless? Does Cobb offer a wastegate fix for the wastegate rattle? And if I get my Cobb protuned and then go back to stock for a dealer visit, would the pro tune still be on there? Thanks for any responses!
If the AP wasn't unmarried then it would be useless. Cobb may have a means to reset the AP but I haven't heard of anyone that has done it. There is no WG "fix" currently available. All the tunes(including pro tunes) are stored on the AP and are always there regardless of if the AP is installed or not. Of coarse, it's always a good idea to save a backup on a computer.