E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Evolve - 335d!

03-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Evolve - 335d!

So guys and girls, the weather has improved dramatically in the last couple of weeks so I thought I would take advantage of Evolves offer during February and get their Switch and Remap (350hp approx / 730nm) for my 335d.

I never thought that the stock 335d was slow, however i did feel that the car felt like it had sooo much more to give from its straight six engine and twin tubos. Sort of like Usain Bolt running on a day when he really couldnt be bothered. Very quick but nowhere nears his potential.

So, as a few of us had to, we waited whilst evolve got another batch of switches from their supplier. The blessed day arrived on Tuesday

I opened the package to find a neat little box which contained,
a) Evolve Switch
b) OBD Cable
c) USB Cable

I had to download XConsole from a link on this forum and paired the switch up with the right car spec etc.

I sent the original map off to Imran, who politely sent an email back 5 mins later saying he had received approx 15 stock maps in the past 45 mins and that I was number 2 on his list. He was clearly doing his best to get a lot of understandably impatient peoples maps back to them as quick as possible.

10 mins later, the email with my mapped data came through and after going through the motions of the next few steps.....

I had the remap installed on the car and it was time to see whether my hard earned cash had been well spent!

I started the car up as normal, drove the car down our drive (we have quite a long one as we live on an old farm), didnt notice much difference at low speeds on the accelerator. Then got to the top of our drive, i instantly turned the DTC on.
(Anyone who owns a 335d can appreciate how much traction control kicks in on stock, let alone with an extra 150nm of torque!)

The day was perfect and the road was dry, so i was hoping that we could really see what improvements had been made.

I pulled out of the drive and onto a national speed limit road, BOOM i floored the accelerator and the car literally rockets down the road with the ferocity i havent experienced since driving a 5.0 V10 Twin Turbo RS6 last year!
As you could imagine, a massive grin appeared on my face.
The car was completely transformed from being a quick diesel, to being a very quick car - full stop!

Its wasn't the 0-40 that really impressed me, its more that the acceleration seemed to pick up considerably past 50mph. I initially found it quite scary tbh.
It was obviously now so capable to getting to stupid speeds fast that i knew i was going to have to always try and behave whilst driving it.

I only took it for a short spin as I had a number of emails i had to reply to in my home office. However I had a 300 mile trip to do the following day, so i knew i would have plenty of time to appreciate it then.

The next day i really tried it out in all different situations whilst driving from Tewkesbury to Louth and back. 350 miles round journey

The car now accelerates on a different level to what it did previously, in any chosen gear you are going to be either feeling a solid push (6th) or a downright punch in the back (2nd/3rd) that takes you to speeds you shouldnt be seeing on the speedometer.
Truly spectacular is the best description.

I reset the journey data for the trip back and casually set the car to 80mph on cruise most of the way. (Very difficult i can assure you)
The car returned me 43 mpg from approx 150 miles of mainly motorway driving with 3 people in the car. This would normally be around 37 mpg.
Very pleasant surprise considering the amount of power this car is now producing.

To summarise - the remap, as i expected it would, has completely transformed my car. It is everything and more that I wanted from it.
The power and acceleration is phenomenal, the fuel consumption is clearly improved if i dont drive hard and it now surely has to be one of the best cars in the world for doing the long miles that many business men have to do.

The one criticism I now have is what car do I buy next....?

Just wanted to add my thanks to Imran and the team at Evolve for producing a great product that I would highly recommend to everyone looking to get their car remapped.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to Evolve, just a very happy customer!

Last edited by FPO; 03-18-2011 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Evolve Credit due
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Fantastic mate, that's exactly How I felt when I had mine done. Makes it a properly monstrous car!
      03-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
keve92335d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

I took them up on the offer of the reduced price switch box, I have it sat next to me with the modded map waiting to go on the car but have to wait 27 days until my insurance is up as my current insurer will not insure me
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevuwk View Post
I took them up on the offer of the reduced price switch box, I have it sat next to me with the modded map waiting to go on the car but have to wait 27 days until my insurance is up as my current insurer will not insure me
Gutted!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
keve92335d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Gutted!
to be honest, I think they will insure me, I just talked to somebody 'foreign' who clearly didn't understand what I was saying
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lol I had a feeling you'd be the first to reply Carlos ha.
I'm lucky to have a really gd insurance broker

One problem I have now is the car is allergic to anything wet. The slightest bit of rain and it literally becomes one of the slowest cars on the road
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
mmdpkaaa
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPO View Post
So guys and girls, the weather has improved dramatically in the last couple of weeks so I thought I would take advantage of Evolves offer during February and get their Switch and Remap (350hp approx / 730nm) for my 335d.

I never thought that the stock 335d was slow, however i did feel that the car felt like it had sooo much more to give from its straight six engine and twin tubos. Sort of like Usain Bolt running on a day when he really couldnt be bothered. Very quick but nowhere nears his potential.

So, as a few of us had to, we waited whilst evolve got another batch of switches from their supplier. The blessed day arrived on Tuesday

I opened the package to find a neat little box which contained,
a) Evolve Switch
b) OBD Cable
c) USB Cable

I had to download XConsole from a link on this forum and paired the switch up with the right car spec etc.

I sent the original map off to Imran, who politely sent an email back 5 mins later saying he had received approx 15 stock maps in the past 45 mins and that I was number 2 on his list. He was clearly doing his best to get a lot of understandably impatient peoples maps back to them as quick as possible.

10 mins later, the email with my mapped data came through and after going through the motions of the next few steps.....

I had the remap installed on the car and it was time to see whether my hard earned cash had been well spent!

I started the car up as normal, drove the car down our drive (we have quite a long one as we live on an old farm), didnt notice much difference at low speeds on the accelerator. Then got to the top of our drive, i instantly turned the DTC on.
(Anyone who owns a 335d can appreciate how much traction control kicks in on stock, let alone with an extra 150nm of torque!)

The day was perfect and the road was dry, so i was hoping that we could really see what improvements had been made.

I pulled out of the drive and onto a national speed limit road, BOOM i floored the accelerator and the car literally rockets down the road with the ferocity i havent experienced since driving a 5.0 V10 Twin Turbo RS6 last year!
As you could imagine, a massive grin appeared on my face.
The car was completely transformed from being a quick diesel, to being a very quick car - full stop!

Its wasn't the 0-40 that really impressed me, its more that the acceleration seemed to pick up considerably past 50mph. I initially found it quite scary tbh.
It was obviously now so capable to getting to stupid speeds fast that i knew i was going to have to always try and behave whilst driving it.

I only took it for a short spin as I had a number of emails i had to reply to in my home office. However I had a 300 mile trip to do the following day, so i knew i would have plenty of time to appreciate it then.

The next day i really tried it out in all different situations whilst driving from Tewkesbury to Louth and back. 350 miles round journey

The car now accelerates on a different level to what it did previously, in any chosen gear you are going to be either feeling a solid push (6th) or a downright punch in the back (2nd/3rd) that takes you to speeds you shouldnt be seeing on the speedometer.
Truly spectacular is the best description.

I reset the journey data for the trip back and casually set the car to 80mph on cruise most of the way. (Very difficult i can assure you)
The car returned me 43 mpg from approx 150 miles of mainly motorway driving with 3 people in the car. This would normally be around 37 mpg.
Very pleasant surprise considering the amount of power this car is now producing.

To summarise - the remap, as i expected it would, has completely transformed my car. It is everything and more that I wanted from it.
The power and acceleration is phenomenal, the fuel consumption is clearly improved if i dont drive hard and it now surely has to be one of the best cars in the world for doing the long miles that many business men have to do.

The one criticism I now have is what car do I buy next....?

Just wanted to add my thanks to Imran and the team at Evolve for producing a great product that I would highly recommend to everyone looking to get their car remapped.
P.S. I am in no way affiliated to Evolve, just a very happy customer!
Jus a quick question regarding the map you have - as i understand it, its a choice between 340BHP/730Nm or 350BHP/700Nm - which did u get?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Good read, I felt the same when I mapped the 320d not a fast obviously but it felt like a totally different car.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #9
Tila
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 D

Sounds great, what sort of mpg are you getting on town driving?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

So that's 730NM of torque? With a gearbox designed for a maximum of 600NM (for a 6HP26) or 700NM (for a 6HP28)? Good luck with that!

Last edited by G82Dude; 03-19-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

great write up. but for me a remap shouldn't just be about uploading a software, should include health check of car to assess if it should/can be remapped etc.

i.e. any degrading hoses, poor maf, thermostats etc. etc.

however, i guess with people busy life style if you're happy with such device and service, then fair enough, as obviously shows a market for it.
      03-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
FPO
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I got the 340hp/730nm Mmd. It's almost a brand new car so degrading hoses etc are unlikely. Hasn't even had a service yet!
Approx 35 mpg around town so far if I don't accelerate and brake hard constantly tila.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #13
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by uke92dude View Post
So that's 730NM of torque? With a gearbox designed for a maximum of 600NM (for a 6HP26) or 700NM (for a 6HP28)? Good luck with that!
Whats luck got to do with it?

We have upgraded 100's of 335d's and 535d's with the 730NM map since 2007 (some even more at customers request) and have not had one reported problem with the gearbox.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #14
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Thanks for the feedback
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
Norm4n
Rep
Drives: 335d