E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #6865
dominick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Thats a good sign for you guys. Belive your suppose to read negative which means you dont have a vacuum leak like me.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #6866
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Cobb SoCal Custom Tune for ACN 91 + FMIC

I took my '09 E92 (7000 miles) to Cobb SoCal for a custom tune. My goal was to get more power than the daily driver map on ACN 91, as the OTS Stage 1 Sport maps have been shown to be too aggressive for ACN 91. My only pertinent mod was an AA Sport FMIC (car also had Dinan CAI, Forge DVs, and PE, but didn't consider those game changers).

I should mention that I'm not planning on installing downpipes or running meth, E85, etc. I'm just interested in safely improving on the stock configuration with my current mods and ACN 91. One question I have, however, is do you guys agree with the tuner in running AFR richer for the custom tune? Does that help with temp/efficiency/power when turning up the boost?

The runs were done on a Mustang Dyno with Run 1 = Daily Driver OTS Map; Run 2 = Custom map; Run 3 = Cobb "Stock" Map. The attachment below is the corrected numbers. The corresponding uncorrected numbers were: DD 295/339; Custom 308/356; Stock 266/287. Temp was low '80's outside and mid 70's in ventilated Dyno enclosure.
Attached Images

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #6867
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

Will an installed COBB show up if the dealer reads your key fob?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #6868
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
Will an installed COBB show up if the dealer reads your key fob?
I believe the fob records everything each time you start the car/insert it. I uninstall cob first, then complete an ignition on/off cycle with the fob to reset whatever's on it. My dealer is middle of the road when it comes to mods, and i've now had the car in 3 times since I purchased the Cobb, zero issues related to the tune.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #6869
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I believe the fob records everything each time you start the car/insert it. I uninstall cob first, then complete an ignition on/off cycle with the fob to reset whatever's on it. My dealer is middle of the road when it comes to mods, and i've now had the car in 3 times since I purchased the Cobb, zero issues related to the tune.
I'm going there just to do some paperwork for the car - they won't be pulling in the car at all but may want to read the key to get data (mileage ....etc) - do you think its necessary to uninstall just for this>?

Other issue is if I uninstall - there are certain values that wont show up until the car is driven a few 100 miles.....
Any input appreciated!!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #6870
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm going there just to do some paperwork for the car - they won't be pulling in the car at all but may want to read the key to get data (mileage ....etc) - do you think its necessary to uninstall just for this>?

Other issue is if I uninstall - there are certain values that wont show up until the car is driven a few 100 miles.....
Any input appreciated!!
Can anyone from Cobb answer this please?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #6871
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:

Any input appreciated!!
It takes 10 minutes to uninstall cobb, I would never leave it flashed while my car was at the dealership for anything. Just not worth the risk IMO. And I've unflashed cobb and literally driven to the dealership (>20 miles away), had warranty work done no questions asked. Perhaps they've flagged my vin, but if they did they haven't said squat about it in months, and I had zero issue replacing several things. Just my experience with it...

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #6872
dominick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick View Post
Thats a good sign for you guys. Belive your suppose to read negative which means you dont have a vacuum leak like me.
Can anyone from cobb tell me if i'm stateing a fact please. Car is a dealer for P3OFE and would help if I can lead them in the right direction. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #6873
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
does anybody know
cobb
stage 1 hp/tq/whp agg 93
stage 1+ hp/tq/whp agg 93
stafe 2 hp/tq/whp agg 93
stage 2+ hp/tq/whp agg 93
just give me an idea roughly.. i searched few and have no info for stage 1+
upgrading to stage 2+ next month..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:12 PM   #6874
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Banh Xeo

I have a problem. I tried to change map and it says Cobb is not installed in my car. so I went to uninstall so hopefully I can reinstall and it still says Cobb is not installed. this is what I got.

Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #6875
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Yikes, have you tried reinstalling the same map that's loaded or a non-performance map? You can also try locking your doors and letting the car sit for about 20m before trying again. It could be a hardware issue with your AP. I wouldn't be worried, Cobb will take care of you if you can't get it working, their support is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #6876
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Yikes, have you tried reinstalling the same map that's loaded or a non-performance map? You can also try locking your doors and letting the car sit for about 20m before trying again. It could be a hardware issue with your AP. I wouldn't be worried, Cobb will take care of you if you can't get it working, their support is amazing.
been having this problem for a year. no help.. When I'm driving it seems to be fine. reads live data, trouble shoot blah blah. but I just got a brand new map and I wanted to switch over to it and I get this. I don't know what else to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #6877
Fully_Bolted
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaime View Post
been having this problem for a year. no help.. When I'm driving it seems to be fine. reads live data, trouble shoot blah blah. but I just got a brand new map and I wanted to switch over to it and I get this. I don't know what else to do.
I would be shocked to hear that Cobb did not help you, have you talked with their tech support?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #6878
Yodaime
Just a normal member.
Vietnam
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully_Bolted View Post
I would be shocked to hear that Cobb did not help you, have you talked with their tech support?
Called Cobbed today and everything will go through fine. Aparently I never uninstall my Cobb when going into dealers so they may have flashed over my Cobb. fail. I go into dealer FBO all the time under warranty because im cool with my tech and service advisory but I just hit 50k miles so i'll be doing all my stuff. Cobb wants me to send the AP to them and they will redo my AP and i'll have it back soon. your right, their support is top notch.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #6879
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreyy View Post
does anybody know
cobb
stage 1 hp/tq/whp agg 93
stage 1+ hp/tq/whp agg 93
stafe 2 hp/tq/whp agg 93
stage 2+ hp/tq/whp agg 93
just give me an idea roughly.. i searched few and have no info for stage 1+
upgrading to stage 2+ next month..
All that info is on Cobb's website
      01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #6880
Koreyy
KOrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
All that info is on Cobb's website
thanks but i couldnt find where to go ! give me an idea please? thanks !
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #6881
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koreyy View Post
thanks but i couldnt find where to go ! give me an idea please? thanks !
not in so many words, but you can get close.. Just click your BMW.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/BMW-N54-Ac...01/power-gains

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #6882
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
My personal Cobb wish list:
  • Support for a flex fuel sensor and automatic timing/boost advance & fuel scalar changes based on the flex fuel sensor
  • Boost targeting with curve learning - no more overshoots/undershoots
  • Boost control of a single turbo/twin turbos with external wastegates

Are these realistic or should I just keep my procede and stack it with the Cobb if I want these features? Would strongly strongly strongly prefer to remain Cobb-only.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #6883
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
My personal Cobb wish list:
  • Support for a flex fuel sensor and automatic timing/boost advance & fuel scalar changes based on the flex fuel sensor
  • Boost targeting with curve learning - no more overshoots/undershoots
  • Boost control of a single turbo/twin turbos with external wastegates

Are these realistic or should I just keep my procede and stack it with the Cobb if I want these features? Would strongly strongly strongly prefer to remain Cobb-only.

Thanks!
Just my personal opinion on your list. Cobb could come in here and refute everything i'm about to say, but this is how i see it.

(1) Almost certainly not going to happen. That would require external hardware for the Flexfuel sensor to integrate with the DME and then recoding the DME to reference additional sensor output when targeting timing.
(2) Cobb has stated they have no interest in rewriting the DME for boost targeting. IMHO load targeting is a better(if not easier) means of tuning anyway.
(3) Definitely a possibility. IIRC Cobb has actually been working on flipping the DME WG control logic. I have no idea how much progress they've made though.
      01-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #6884
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Just my personal opinion on your list. Cobb could come in here and refute everything i'm about to say, but this is how i see it.

(1) Almost certainly not going to happen. That would require external hardware for the Flexfuel sensor to integrate with the DME and then recoding the DME to reference additional sensor output when targeting timing.
(2) Cobb has stated they have no interest in rewriting the DME for boost targeting. IMHO load targeting is a better(if not easier) means of tuning anyway.
(3) Definitely a possibility. IIRC Cobb has actually been working on flipping the DME WG control logic. I have no idea how much progress they've made though.
Doesn't seem like the flex fuel sensor would be that hard, aside from having to add an input to the DME. I agree its probably not going to happen, just asking

I guess my only issue with the load targeting is that the car doesn't seem to make load targets aside from 3500-4500rpm... is that just because of the tiny stock turbos/turbines? Would a Cobb tuned car with large turbos make load targets all the way to redline? If so, then yes I agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #6885
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Like I have pointed out to them, there's nothing wrong with load targeting if you can actually use it without getting weird behaviors due to exceeding boost targets in the code that we have no control over.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #6886
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Doesn't seem like the flex fuel sensor would be that hard, aside from having to add an input to the DME. I agree its probably not going to happen, just asking

I guess my only issue with the load targeting is that the car doesn't seem to make load targets aside from 3500-4500rpm... is that just because of the tiny stock turbos/turbines? Would a Cobb tuned car with large turbos make load targets all the way to redline? If so, then yes I agree with you.
Ohh yeah, definitely nothing wrong with asking. Products only advance when their markets push them to do it.

When you are below load targets how does your requested boost vs boost mean abs look? If you are below boost target then you can a little WGDC into the base table and get actual closer to target. However, like Carl morris just kind of alluded to, i think part of the tuning strategy Cobb uses is to keep load a little under target so as to prevent weird side effects some people are seeing.