E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

07-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #8053
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I had Ppk before, and installed cobb after I saved it. Then I uninstalled cobb. How can I know if ppk was reinstalled correctly and not some other stock map?

Is there a code or number i can check with my cobb reader?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #8054
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
It depends on which ROM you have. It's not available ATM for I8AOS but I'm not sure about the others.
I have IJEOS, and I don't see any idle tables in there, which is probably the obvious answer. But I wanted to know if I was missing anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #8055
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
I have IJEOS, and I don't see any idle tables in there, which is probably the obvious answer. But I wanted to know if I was missing anything.
Shoot josh an email directly at josh.dankel@cobbtuning.com and inquire there. I honestly wouldn't mind having some idle tables available on I8AOS myself.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #8056
Chicks-Love-Bimmers
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: FBO 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I'm getting two codes I don't really know much about, p2eff - electric fans self diagnosis and p2f0d radiator blind (glf)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #8057
wheelj81
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftmr2t View Post
I'm in Denver and stock with Stage 1 Linear Sport with the 6spd. I really love it and it's a huge boost over stock, also it gets better MPG. Super fun up in the mountains. At this altitude with the free spinning turbos and this tune this thing flies compared with NA cars.
I've done that too but with the stock throttle. I have the 6MT as well. I just worry when I see boost up around 15 PSI.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #8058
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08AWD335 View Post
Im about to go install my AP. Just out of curiosity, if the battery dies during installation, what happens(other than needing a jump)?

Secondly, how do I find my ecu code to download the correct map from the below link? Or do maps come preloaded on it? It didnt show any in the AP Manager.
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Accessport...w/BMW-OTS-Maps

secondly, once you plug in your AP to OBDII it will tell you your ROM.

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #8059
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelj81 View Post
I've done that too but with the stock throttle. I have the 6MT as well. I just worry when I see boost up around 15 PSI.
15PSI midrange? Whats the concern?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #8060
08AWD335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335XI

Just installed stage 1 aggressive. Apparently I had a tune on my car from the previous owner but overwrote it. Install went well, only took about 20 minutes.

Drives ok, have misfires on cyl4 when i really get on it. Otherwise can definitely feel a difference. Gonna baby it tomorrow and change the plugs on Saturday. Hopefully that fixes the misfire.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #8061
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

cobb atr table information

In all the cobb threads i have not yet seen a comprehensive explanation of what each table controls. Some stuff is obvious whereas some tables are cryptic in description. Can anyone point me to this info ?

Harry
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #8062
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
In all the cobb threads i have not yet seen a comprehensive explanation of what each table controls. Some stuff is obvious whereas some tables are cryptic in description. Can anyone point me to this info ?

Harry
Sounds like you're coming into this with the same assumptions I made. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work that way. As far as I can tell various people including Cobb have taken the image and searched through it for tables. I know that there are automated tools to do this, but I don't know how good they are. Or it's possibly it was done by hand. At any rate, when you're done you end up with this list of tables that you don't necessarily know what they do.

Then it appears the work began of identifying what could be identified. If you know what you're looking for timing and fuel tables kind of have a signature look and if you understand assembly language you can figure out some additional things. Once you at least have figured out the main timing and fuel table and found something that will allow you to influence boost you have the basics you need to start selling a product. Any additional tables you can understand are just a bonus.

My assumption coming into this was that Cobb had a complete understanding of every table they allowed access to, but since then I've come to the conclusion that nobody does. Not to insult anybody, but the tuning world now seems to be about providing access to at least most of whatever tables are found, identifying the most important ones if possible and then letting nature take its course as the most motivated customers experiment. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I was mislead thinking the labels on the tables meant that the table was exactly what the label said it was and I no longer believe that.

Bottom line, there is no comprehensive explanation other than the Cobb docs, and I would not take the labels on the maps as gospel. The high end tuners such as PTF and JZW seem to have put the most time into gaining the best understanding of the full range of what's going on (possibly working with Cobb in PTF's case) but part of their competitive advantage is to not publish everything they know.

Anyway, that's how I see it as of this morning.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #8063
P Casey
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Finally stepping up and doing a pro tune . Been sitting at stage 2 +fmic aggressive LT for a while. Hopefully it will be a big difference. I was thinking about just doing the 93oct tune but since I have access to e85 ill be going that route. Ill start posting dynos, times in the near future.
      07-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #8064
davidwarren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328,325, 325, 335, X5, 640 GC

any insight on current map revisions in the works? I am running stage 1 + FMIC LT aggressive. I wouldn't mind a bit of the throttle lag worked out.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #8065
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
any insight on current map revisions in the works? I am running stage 1 + FMIC LT aggressive. I wouldn't mind a bit of the throttle lag worked out.
I wouldn’t get your hopes up for significant pump gas OTS map revisions, they’re pretty solid right now outside of some boost overshoot issues on the more aggressive maps. Cobb can only do so much before a certain % of users fall outside of their “safe” OTS range, because of that the maps generally speaking have to be very conservative and “un-tuned” to your specific car. They have to work equally well for people in Lubbock, and people in Denver. Which is why pro-tuning is so valuable. You could use ATR to have boost come on more aggressively if that’s your goal. But I get the sense they’re pretty happy with the 4.02 OTS maps.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #8066
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I wouldn’t get your hopes up for significant pump gas OTS map revisions, they’re pretty solid right now outside of some boost overshoot issues on the more aggressive maps. Cobb can only do so much before a certain % of users fall outside of their “safe” OTS range, because of that the maps generally speaking have to be very conservative and “un-tuned” to your specific car. They have to work equally well for people in Lubbock, and people in Denver. Which is why pro-tuning is so valuable. You could use ATR to have boost come on more aggressively if that’s your goal. But I get the sense they’re pretty happy with the 4.02 OTS maps.
+100

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #8067
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
007 335i E92  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08AWD335 View Post
Just installed stage 1 aggressive. Apparently I had a tune on my car from the previous owner but overwrote it. Install went well, only took about 20 minutes.

Drives ok, have misfires on cyl4 when i really get on it. Otherwise can definitely feel a difference. Gonna baby it tomorrow and change the plugs on Saturday. Hopefully that fixes the misfire.
Update?

I would have swapped coils first. Unless your spark plugs were due anyways.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 01:09 AM   #8068
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Finally got around to logging and of course as I go out I throw a boost leak code. The first I've had but it may explain why I don't feel st2+ kicking my ass like I thought it would, unless somethings just horribly wrong with my data log. If you guys could take a peek at it and let me know what you think I'd appreciate it. I cant seem to get the excel spread sheet to work on my mac.

90F in phoenix AZ. St 2+ with VRSF DP, VRSF IC, BMC DCI, modified exhaust on 91 octane.
Attached Files
File Type: zip JayKayDataLog.zip (8.1 KB, 87 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #8069
rondocap
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I just had some issues you guys may be able to help me with.

So today I got new spark plugs on my 2008 335i at BMW, and of course uninstalled the Cobb before I went in.

Afterwards I put the Cobb back on, aggressive stage 1 on 93. (I only have a K and N filter, rest of the car is stock)

So today was fairly hot and humid here, even at night around 80.

As soon as I installed it and drove away in D, partial throttle, I heard a whistle that was louder than I had heard before, even while having Cobb installed. It went away.

I did a few runs, and when the car was pretty hot, i.e over 250 degrees oil temp by a line, I noticed some strange things.

First, when going WOT through 3rd and 4th gear, generally from 60mph to 80mph or so, I got a really strange vibration from the back of the car. This would only happen while WOT and while the car was really warmed up and hot. After it cooled down a bit, it would not happen.

Is this normal? Is it the extra torque? Spark plugs are new so I'm not sure what could be happening. No codes at all came up with the reader. I could not duplicate this with just PPK. Seems like only Cobb made it happen.

And the car definitely sounded really heat soaked too, at this point.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #8070
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayelemenohpee View Post
Finally got around to logging and of course as I go out I throw a boost leak code. The first I've had but it may explain why I don't feel st2+ kicking my ass like I thought it would, unless somethings just horribly wrong with my data log. If you guys could take a peek at it and let me know what you think I'd appreciate it. I cant seem to get the excel spread sheet to work on my mac.

90F in phoenix AZ. St 2+ with VRSF DP, VRSF IC, BMC DCI, modified exhaust on 91 octane.
There's a big timing pull going on, and some significant cylinder corrections. Along with the boost leak. You need to back off the timing, get more octane, or you could have a hardware issue.

Edit: 91 oct. No good.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #8071
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There's a big timing pull going on, and some significant cylinder corrections. Along with the boost leak. You need to back off the timing, get more octane, or you could have a hardware issue.

Edit: 91 oct. No good.
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I'm on ACN 91 so even worse than just 91. I don't notice any significant improvement in performance when adding 3 gallons of e85 but maybe my logs look better.

In terms of hardware what would cause a timing pull? I just added a DCI so I decreased any restriction on the intake side and I'm running DPs for the exhaust side. Plugs are only about 10k old.

From what I understand peak boost is similar between stage 1 and stage 2 but timing is the big difference. Its almost as if I should just run the stage 1+ map until I can figure all this out. I'll add some e85 and get some logs. I appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #8072
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback. I'm on ACN 91 so even worse than just 91. I don't notice any significant improvement in performance when adding 3 gallons of e85 but maybe my logs look better.

In terms of hardware what would cause a timing pull? I just added a DCI so I decreased any restriction on the intake side and I'm running DPs for the exhaust side. Plugs are only about 10k old.

From what I understand peak boost is similar between stage 1 and stage 2 but timing is the big difference. Its almost as if I should just run the stage 1+ map until I can figure all this out. I'll add some e85 and get some logs. I appreciate your help.
Add a few gallons of E85 and take some more logs, it does wonders to clean up corrections. If there are still issues, then we can start to troubleshoot hardware. With sufficient octane, an N54 should have no issue running any of Cobb's OTS maps, they're all fairly conservative timing wise.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #8073
jaykayelemenohpee
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Add a few gallons of E85 and take some more logs, it does wonders to clean up corrections. If there are still issues, then we can start to troubleshoot hardware. With sufficient octane, an N54 should have no issue running any of Cobb's OTS maps, they're all fairly conservative timing wise.
What a day! My dog has eaten my AP. I left it on the table a couple nights ago and the dog got a hold of it at some point. One of the pins is missing so no go on logging tonight. I just contacted cobb and am working on getting a new AP. So I'll be back with some e85 logs once I get this all straightened out.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #8074
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:

I just had my first boost leak code too. Odd.
Appreciate 0