E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > "Over the counter" Detailing Products?

10-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

"Over the counter" Detailing Products?

I recently clay my car with the Meguiars kit, then waxed it after with their Gold Class paste wax, with pretty fantastic results. Although, it seems like everyone in the detailing world uses products that aren't easily available, items that Walmart, Autozone, Advance, don't handle. Is there something wrong with Meguiars, Mothers, etc? If so, what is it?
      10-05-2009, 10:28 PM   #2
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Not at all. Megs and Mothers make great products. The only OTC product I actually try to avoid is Armor All stuff. I also don't like Mother's QD. Some of the higher-end products available from DI and DD are more specialized - the different types of Dodo Juice waxes, for example, for different color paints.

I'm sure some of it is marketing. Brands like Chemical Guys, Poorboys, Menzerna, and Dodo Juice market themselves to the higher-end detailers. Nobody walking into the automotive section of Walmart is going to spend $60+ for a container of wax. You have to really know what you want, which is why they don't sell in retail chains.

Specific to the products you mentioned, clay is clay as far as I'm concerned. I've heard tremendous things about the Riccardo clay, but it's not readily available in the US anyway. Meg's Gold Class line is very good, as is there 105/205 polish.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Nothing is wrong. Meguiar's is my favorite OTC brand, and I still like their products. You will see better results w/ professional products, but it's all incremental improvements, which build upon each other to yield a distinctive difference. However, a great polish is the most important step in achieving the best final look, not an OTC vs professional product selection of glazes/sealants/waxes.

If you want an OTC recommendation, I highly recommend you try Meguiar's NXT 2.0 tech wax (it's actually a sealant not wax, but the marketing label is less confusing for non-detailing enthusiasts).

I love NXT 2.0 (not 1.0!), and it's the best OTC sealant/wax I've ever used. Easy to apply, easy to remove, great grape smell, very good durability (tested on my gf's car), very beginner friendly. Even though I don't use this product myself, I rave about it to all my non-enthusiast friends as a MUST-get. Non-enthusiast being the key word Get the liquid, not the paste wax. More beginner friendly w/ the same results, and less chance of imbedding contaminants into the paste wax if you're not careful.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
teej361
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
I highly recommend you try Meguiar's NXT 2.0 tech wax
+1 NXT 2.0 is one of the best OTC waxes. Surf City products @ Pep Boys are also some of my favorite OTC products.
      10-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
F80_M3llow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 135i  [7.00]
+1 on the NXT 2.0 wax i have used i for quite some time with fantastic results. Paint shines like the day i got it.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
john715z
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

+1 on NXT 2.0 wax. Easy to apply and very easy to remove. shines like new
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Craig@SupremePower
G.O.A.T.!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 GMC Yukon XL

meguiars stuf is pretty good...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #8
mileydog
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW

The way I see it...most of the members here that are posting detailing threads are professional detailers...thus they use professional products/supplies.

However the question at hand is...do professional products equal higher quality results when compared to Walmart products? My answer is yes they do give higher quality results, yet Walmart products such as Meguiars do a really good job as well. Most people couldn't tell the difference between high-end products and walmart products after 1-2 days of driving the vehicle.

The same concept applies in most professional occupations. Imagine if your golf professional instructor using walmart golf clubs instead of the high-end golf equipment...it just gives you the impression that he is of lower quality simply because of his equipment.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mileydog View Post
The way I see it...most of the members here that are posting detailing threads are professional detailers...thus they use professional products/supplies.

However the question at hand is...do professional products equal higher quality results when compared to Walmart products? My answer is yes they do give higher quality results, yet Walmart products such as Meguiars do a really good job as well. Most people couldn't tell the difference between high-end products and walmart products after 1-2 days of driving the vehicle.

The same concept applies in most professional occupations. Imagine if your golf professional instructor using walmart golf clubs instead of the high-end golf equipment...it just gives you the impression that he is of lower quality simply because of his equipment.
Iam a golfer and a detailer and i know for a fact that their is a huge difference between walmart clubs and highend clubs IMHO that was a horrbile comparison lmao back on topic......NXT 2.0 is a very good wax/sealent i have tried it on the 3 and i could compare it to some dodo juice products.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

Zaino. Period. Forget OTC
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Duragloss products are incredibly underrated. I'm telling you. Here are some things that are must haves in my opinion.

All wheel cleaner - cheap, easy maintenance cleaner
901/902 soap
#601 paint cleanser + #111 or #105 sealant - #105 is the one i have. it's the newer version, and it lasts a whopping six months.
Aquawax spray wax - easy spray on wax that lasts longer than you'd think. i think it compares to optimum's spray wax which is also a GREAT product.

Seriously, DG makes some great stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
I concur with everyone giving props to Meguiars products. Meguiars products have been around for many many years & have a proven track record for the do-it-yourselfer crowd.

If you are (or ever decide to try) polishing by machine you'll find that Meguiars offers a complete line up of commercial grade polishes, glazes, sealants and waxes.

Check out Detailed Image or Meguiars on line to get a better idea of what can be accomplished with this product. What you can't find at the OTC auto parts store you can usually find at a bodyshop supply store.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:30 AM   #13
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
+1

I use meguiar's professional line too. Specifically meg's Last Touch mixed w/ water 50/50 as a clay lubricant. I buy it by the gallon as they are super cheap as a clay lubricant.

I also buy meg's ultimate quick detailer by the gallon. I forget what the professional repackaged name for uqd is. I like uqd because it has unbelievable water sheeting (hydrophobic) properties, simply amazing. It makes a big impression on customers when they see it in action.

Back on topic, I think everyone pretty much agrees megs is an excellent brand. However, to answer the op's question, if you go w/ many of the other OTC brandS, chances are the professional product will yield a lot better final result, assuming a proper polish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadHollow View Post
If you are (or ever decide to try) polishing by machine you'll find that Meguiars offers a complete line up of commercial grade polishes, glazes, sealants and waxes.

Check out Detailed Image or Meguiars on line to get a better idea of what can be accomplished with this product. What you can't find at the OTC auto parts store you can usually find at a bodyshop supply store.

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionredwing View Post
+1

I use meguiar's professional line too. Specifically meg's Last Touch mixed w/ water 50/50 as a clay lubricant. I buy it by the gallon as they are super cheap as a clay lubricant.

I also buy meg's ultimate quick detailer by the gallon. I forget what the professional repackaged name for uqd is. I like uqd because it has unbelievable water sheeting (hydrophobic) properties, simply amazing. It makes a big impression on customers when they see it in action.

Back on topic, I think everyone pretty much agrees megs is an excellent brand. However, to answer the op's question, if you go w/ many of the other OTC brandS, chances are the professional product will yield a lot better final result, assuming a proper polish.
You should try Optimum Instant Detailer, I think you'd like it. IMO it blows UQD away, and ends up costing much less as you dilute the 32 oz product 3:1.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i View Post
You should try Optimum Instant Detailer, I think you'd like it. IMO it blows UQD away, and ends up costing much less as you dilute the 32 oz product 3:1.
+1 ...........

FK425 (FK 1 USA.com) is also a favorite of mine.
The Finish Kare products/company were actually founded by a member of the Meguiars family.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Optimum products in my opinion are cheaper than most OTC and are fantastic. The good OTC stuff is, well.... good but when I started using pro level products I could see a real difference. I would say the difference between OTC wax and any of the Dodo Juice waxes is night a day. As far as clay goes I have heard that it is all made in one or two factories anyway but interestingly enough the OTC stuff is more expensive then the stuff I get at detailed image. Also as noted above many pro level products can be diluted and still get excellent results so you end up saving money in addition to getting better results.

One thing I would never buy OTC is wheel cleaner, Pro level wheel cleaners are much safer for your wheels, the OTC stuff usually has acid in it.

I agree to stay away from Armor All products. Pretty much Meguillars is the safest bet OTC. I would suggest trying a sample of Dodo Juice and I will bet you that you will never go back. One 30ml sample will give you 3-4 coats of wax, that is a huge difference between premium and OTC.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:35 AM   #17
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
Optimum products in my opinion are cheaper than most OTC and are fantastic. The good OTC stuff is, well.... good but when I started using pro level products I could see a real difference. I would say the difference between OTC wax and any of the Dodo Juice waxes is night a day. As far as clay goes I have heard that it is all made in one or two factories anyway but interestingly enough the OTC stuff is more expensive then the stuff I get at detailed image. Also as noted above many pro level products can be diluted and still get excellent results so you end up saving money in addition to getting better results.

One thing I would never buy OTC is wheel cleaner, Pro level wheel cleaners are much safer for your wheels, the OTC stuff usually has acid in it.

I agree to stay away from Armor All products. Pretty much Meguillars is the safest bet OTC. I would suggest trying a sample of Dodo Juice and I will bet you that you will never go back. One 30ml sample will give you 3-4 coats of wax, that is a huge difference between premium and OTC.

Tom
I'll 2nd that ........
DJ products really are THAT much different & attainable without having to take a loan out.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Although it's been discussed here on the site before, I also wanted to mention again that best results are achieved by having perfectly level paint with no defects, swirls, etc. Flawless paint with turtle wax will look better than a car with swirls coated with $2500 Vintage wax.

Last edited by 328i; 10-08-2009 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 0