E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > "Permanent" Tire Dressing

01-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 M3, '18 S560, '16 G63

I have used tuff Shine. It's pretty good. Lasts a little bit longer than normal tire shine due to the heavy prepping of the tires. Takes a long, long time the first time you use the product.

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #24
Greg Nichols
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: CAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
I have used tuff Shine. It's pretty good. Lasts a little bit longer than normal tire shine due to the heavy prepping of the tires. Takes a long, long time the first time you use the product.
When you say a long time to prep what does that mean? an hour? hour/tire?

The coating NEVER is removed by general daily use, the look might dull in time but the protection last forever. I wanted to remove the product to see what it took to remove, a steamer and paint thinner and 20 min for one tire......so this stuff stay on the tires.

If people like the HIGH gloss dressing, then this is likley not for you. The amount of time I save by not having to dress my tires weekly, for them to look outstanding is hours less/year by having tuf Shine on them...so the prep is well worth it.

When I prep tires it has rarely taken me more than 12 min total for two tires as I do them in pairs. The only time its taken longer was when I had to remove a tire dressing OCD owner, he would dress his tires every 5 days! It still only took me an hour to clean all 4 tires and remove ALL the previous dressing off the tires so the tuf shine would bond properly. YOU ONLY HAVE TO PREP THEM ONCE too.

Cheers,
GREG
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Dayumm, only an hour?! I had my cousin help me do my tires on the S-class. We prepped it about 6 times per tire! Took quite a bit of time lol.

yeah like Greg said, if you are looking for the tacky high gloss, this won't be for you. If you are looking for a slight gloss and shine, this will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
When you say a long time to prep what does that mean? an hour? hour/tire?

The coating NEVER is removed by general daily use, the look might dull in time but the protection last forever. I wanted to remove the product to see what it took to remove, a steamer and paint thinner and 20 min for one tire......so this stuff stay on the tires.

If people like the HIGH gloss dressing, then this is likley not for you. The amount of time I save by not having to dress my tires weekly, for them to look outstanding is hours less/year by having tuf Shine on them...so the prep is well worth it.

When I prep tires it has rarely taken me more than 12 min total for two tires as I do them in pairs. The only time its taken longer was when I had to remove a tire dressing OCD owner, he would dress his tires every 5 days! It still only took me an hour to clean all 4 tires and remove ALL the previous dressing off the tires so the tuf shine would bond properly. YOU ONLY HAVE TO PREP THEM ONCE too.

Cheers,
GREG

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 | 2014 AW X5 | 2015 MB S550 | 2016 RR V8 (White FTW)
Mods - BPMTune Stg1/Servo, Euro Visors & Side Mirror, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, OEM Perf. CF Trim/Spoiler, Grills, Lights, Pedals, Umnitza V4 AE, ModeCarbon GTS V1, 19" HRE P40
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #26
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I'm so glad you asked this question, OP. I have seen that stuff on the DI site and have contemplated buying it, but wanted to hear more before I pulled the trigger.

Looks great - can't wait to try it!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

This might not be too bad, $40 free s/h

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Compl.../dp/B0012ZEZ8A
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #28
Johndong888
John
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix76 View Post
This might not be too bad, $40 free s/h

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Compl.../dp/B0012ZEZ8A
I do use their claybars when I don't feel like waiting. Their quik detailer and soap is pretty nice OTC. Tire shine will fling all over though...

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #29
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

I bought this kit recently. Tried it the first time a couple of weeks ago. The product went on easy, tires looked super shiney and it became hard to the touch within a couple of minutes. Needed to apply like 3 coats the first time in order to get even coverage.

That being said, after driving the car a few miles I got out to find that the product has cracked up, started peeling and it turned white-ish on every tire; really looked like SHIT. After going back and re-reading the instructions it appears you cannot apply the product in temps below something like 40 degrees, so I am attributing the poor performance to the fact the weather was particularly cold the day I applied it. Will try again when it warms up. So be forewarned you cannot apply/use this product in cold environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I would highly recommend the TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit, which cleans the tire first and then provides a semi-permanent clear coat to the tires that looks great. It provides an amazing shine and easily lasts longer than anything else I've used. Here are two great articles talking about this product:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...ire-shine-kit/
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...tuf-shine-inc/

Great video of how to best use it here:
http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...-how-to-video/

Let me know if you have any other questions please let me know.

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0