E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Motorweek 335is review

07-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #111
N55
ⒸⒺⓇⓉⓘⒻⒾⒺⒹ✬ⓃⒾⓃⒿⒶ
United_States
Rep
Drives: 🚀

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335isGuy View Post
Had mine since june of 2010. 70,000kms. 2 HPFP's, and now the 2nd cat decided to die lol. But thats ok still have 10,000kms of warranty left. Fix it and drive it more lol. Fun car, needs a LSD though. I got the 6spd. The exhaust note is something that does make me smile, golf tee is a must
Lol. I did the golf tee mod at a pit stop coming home from the dealer when I get my IS. A good ole zip tie.

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 11:54 AM   #112
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nks_bb View Post
I miss my IS. It's been a week, the one draw back of going on vacation!
I know what you mean. I was missing my is badly while we were on vacation in Spain for a couple of weeks in May...until the last 2 days when we rented a Mini Cooper...and get this, DIESEL(!!!) and drove on some great mountain roads along the Costa Brava coastline. That Mini Cooper D was such a delight on those tight, twisty, narrow roads where agility and ability to turn on a dime mattered much more than power.

TBH, and I will never acknowledge this again, but I may have actually enjoyed that drive in the Mini Cooper D way more than some mountain romps up here in NC with the 335is.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #113
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Should be getting mine in the next month or so!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #114
scm6079
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, Lotus Exige S260

Garage List
Now that I've had mine just a few weeks short of 2 years and 30,000 miles - I have to say this car is INCREDIBLE. I owned an Audi S4 supercharged v6 immediately before, and a 335i before that - and the 335is really is a perfect step up.

I have to say - I love my car! Given the opportunity to buy it again, there is no question - I'd do it. I'm happy to hear the new M3 is rumored to be turbo. Although I may be in the minority, I hope the new M3 is more like the 335is in several ways vs. the current M3. Of course, I'd still love to see the suspension upgrades, brakes, etc. from the M3 - I will not miss the v8! That's what kept me from the current M3. My old V8 S4 (4 cars ago) was a gas hog - it's not just the money, it's annoying and doesn't play well with others.

Just one guy's opinion - but the 335is is one of the best cars out there... And the exhaust note is intoxicating - far better than any other car I own / drive. I love my Lotus too - but the exhaust of the 335is is seemingly perfect.

Next year when it's time to start looking for a new one, I'm curious what competitors will really be able to step up to the plate.

-Scott
2011 335is, 2011 Lotus Exige S260
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #115
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

I have a feeling that the those of us with the 335iS DCT will not be missing much when the new M3 DCT Turbo.

The new M3 turbo will come when the 335iS production stops
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #116
NvTwist
New to BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335is DCT

Delete, I need more sleep.
      07-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #117
nks_bb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKizzle View Post
I know what you mean. I was missing my is badly while we were on vacation in Spain for a couple of weeks in May...until the last 2 days when we rented a Mini Cooper...and get this, DIESEL(!!!) and drove on some great mountain roads along the Costa Brava coastline. That Mini Cooper D was such a delight on those tight, twisty, narrow roads where agility and ability to turn on a dime mattered much more than power.

TBH, and I will never acknowledge this again, but I may have actually enjoyed that drive in the Mini Cooper D way more than some mountain romps up here in NC with the 335is.
Now is that because of the car or the roads? If you were to take the IS in those same mountain roads??!?!?

Didn't know about ED when I purchased mine, but I keep dreaming, what could've been.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #118
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
I have a feeling that the those of us with the 335iS DCT will not be missing much when the new M3 DCT Turbo.

The new M3 turbo will come when the 335iS production stops
I think you'll be plenty surprised on what the 335is will be missing compared to the upcoming M3. Just an educated guess here but I dont think the next generation M will disappoint in its innovation and power. We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #119
PKizzle
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, E36 M3, X4 M40

Quote:
Now is that because of the car or the roads? If you were to take the IS in those same mountain roads??!?!?

Didn't know about ED when I purchased mine, but I keep dreaming, what could've been.
Think it was just a case of the right car for the right road. The 'is' would have been tremendous for sure with the exhaust bouncing off the cliff face, but with it's power on those tight roads, I would have likely spent more time on/off those brakes than enjoying the driving. In the case of the low powered but torquey Mini D, I was able to just let the car flow with the momentum and simply focus on the turns...well, atleast until the point when my wife started feeling nauseous and threatened to throw up inside the car if I didn't slow down.

That was my first time driving a Mini Cooper and I was struck by how awesome a driver's car it is. It is amazingly well handling...and appeared to have a quicker steering ratio and a much tighter turning circle than an E92. Best way to describe it would be like when you want to turn in the E92 you apply the steering movement and there is a transitionary phase and you feel the car following through an instant later...in the case of the Mini, you make the steering movement and the car has already turned..there was no delay between steering input and turn-in. It really is like a go-kart. So great fun in tight, twisty stuff, but maybe not for high speed turns at a track. Nonetheless, great job, BMW.

While we've enjoyed some great mountain runs in NC, I've felt that with the is's limits being so high, you need to get into dangerously illegal speeds for public roads before it starts being fun. There is something to be said about being able to have more fun when going fast in a slow car than going slow in a fast car.

I regret missing out on the ED for the 335is as well. But my wife and I have promised ourselves that our next Bimmer...likely an X3 for her in a couple of years will be an ED for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #120
nks_bb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKizzle
Quote:

Think it was just a case of the right car for the right road. The 'is' would have been tremendous for sure with the exhaust bouncing off the cliff face, but with it's power on those tight roads, I would have likely spent more time on/off those brakes than enjoying the driving. In the case of the low powered but torquey Mini D, I was able to just let the car flow with the momentum and simply focus on the turns...well, atleast until the point when my wife started feeling nauseous and threatened to throw up inside the car if I didn't slow down.

That was my first time driving a Mini Cooper and I was struck by how awesome a driver's car it is. It is amazingly well handling...and appeared to have a quicker steering ratio and a much tighter turning circle than an E92. Best way to describe it would be like when you want to turn in the E92 you apply the steering movement and there is a transitionary phase and you feel the car following through an instant later...in the case of the Mini, you make the steering movement and the car has already turned..there was no delay between steering input and turn-in. It really is like a go-kart. So great fun in tight, twisty stuff, but maybe not for high speed turns at a track. Nonetheless, great job, BMW.

While we've enjoyed some great mountain runs in NC, I've felt that with the is's limits being so high, you need to get into dangerously illegal speeds for public roads before it starts being fun. There is something to be said about being able to have more fun when going fast in a slow car than going slow in a fast car.

I regret missing out on the ED for the 335is as well. But my wife and I have promised ourselves that our next Bimmer...likely an X3 for her in a couple of years will be an ED for sure.
My wife and I are planning a European vacation. She wants to go next year and I'm trying to hold off until 2014 when it's time for a new car, for a possible BMW ED, quite possibly an X6, but if she won't budge and she wants to go next year, I'll just have to do as you did and rent a Mini D!!! 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #121
peeej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former E92 owner

i kinda miss the foglights on them though, but for an easier airflow...? ehh, makes sense.

Appreciate 0