E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > clear codes?

01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
BMWRF
Rep
Drives: 335d

clear codes?

Does anyone know how to put an e90 into key on engine off mode (KOEO) so I can use a generic scan tool (I have an Actron that will read the codes just fine) to clear the codes?

I've tried just putting the key fob into the slot but the actron tool gives me a "link error". I'm not sure if i'm missing something. Is the engine computer powered when the key is in the slot and the radio is running?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

I doubt a generic scan tool will read BMW-specific codes. But you might try turning your blinkers on (Hazard lights) to keep the ECU awake.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
BMWRF
Rep

thanks for the reply. I was able to read codes just fine while the engine was running. It's not a BMW specific code, its P2201 which has to do with the NOx sensor. But what i'm trying to do is clear the code to see if it's fixed or not. The tool requires the key to be "on" while the engine is off, which was easy enough with my old e46, but the new fangled start button concept on the e90 seems to be a problem with this tool.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
BMWRF
Rep

I figured it out. While trying the hazard switch idea I realized if I hit the start button with my foot off the brake pedal the engine would switch on without the engine starting. After I did that the actron tool cleared the codes just fine.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
queensfield
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i E90

Great to read you got it working. One of my friend's E90 did not pass the smog test here and failed the NOx emission (hydrocarbon, CO etc were fine). There is no code that the OBDII is throwing. Do you know how I can help him with it? I am thinking the engine is running hotter, increasing NOx, probably due to faulty coolant temperature sensor or thermostat or the air/fuel mix is lean due to bad MAF sensor. Do you have some words of wisdom? Thanks
Appreciate 0