E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > First day at the track sucked!

02-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Meanshyguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335i

First day at the track sucked!

Hello everyone, well I had my first track day (night) on my auto 09 335i coupe, I have jb4 on map 1 with dci, no other mods, a newer CTS-v lined up and I knew I was gonna get smoked, sure I did, well to make things short I raced 4 times and that was my fastest time, I didn't mess with DTC or turned anything off.
I'm disappointed because that was my fastest time, I tried turning DTC on, then held the buttons longer and turned everything off, launched on M2 all the time, my quarter mile times seemed to get worst. I've never raced an automatic and tried my best but if anybody has any advice I will really appreciate it since I googled for answers but found many different ways and I'd like to know which is the best.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #2
FormerRotor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d, M-Sport

Garage List
Five questions (really only the fist & last are all that important in the context of the conversation)...
1. What were your times?
2. Where were you shifting?
3. Were you brake boosting?
4. What tires are you running?
5. Why were you so let down?

It seems to me that you are awfully disheartened considering that it was your first time out. It's kind of similar to acting dejected because you didn't bowl a 300 the first time that you ever picked up a bowling ball.

My Picture Threads (Oldest to Newest): 1 2 3
Join BMW CCA! (Use my link and I get credit )
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
Meanshyguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 09' BMW 335i

My times were in the mid 14's at around 100 mph
I was shifting at around 6700
I was brake boosting at around 4k rpms
I'm running new yokohama S drive
I'm kind of let down because on the last race I lost to a mustang V6 lol or seemed like it was a v6 I didn't see the back of it.
It's not my first time on the track, but it is the first time I race this car, plus I've never raced with an automatic.
I know the car is faster than that but I'm having trouble launching, I've been reading some and some say start on M1, DTC off, others say M2, everything off, some say launch at 6k rpms, others at 2k, I'd just like a definitive answer if possible.
I'm not about to kill myself for this lol, and I know practice makes better but there's not much room to practice here where I live. By the way I have easy access to E85 fuel here but don't know what map to use with it and what percentage to use with regular gas.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Better than my first time at the track... I blew my motor at Big Willow on 2/15 and am still waiting for its replacement to arrive.