E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: 335i Exhaust Sound Mod. Better, and even easier than golf tee mod.

08-30-2007, 11:04 AM   #45
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I agree to disagree with you and concur with Scott. Didnt notice enough to warrant doing it.

Secondly, and this could be pure coincidence, but 3 days after I unplugged mine in the trunk I had an o2 sensor go bad. When I took it to get replaced, my SA showed me the tech sheet where the solenoid sensor malfunction was recorded over 200 times. Then the tech said that the closing of the butterfly isnt necessarily for sound restrictions, but has to do with backpressure as well. This helps the cats warm up properly and get to operating temps. He said when this is disabled, you run the risk of damaging your emissions equipment.

Now I dont know if that was a load of bunk, but with the amount of issues Im having with this car, I dont need to give it anymore pushes in that direction.

Anyone elso can second Hyper's experience? I unplugged mine yesterday and first noticed no sound difference, but after a few highway miles I definitely think that the exhaust sounds deeper and lower (meaner). I also have a subjective feeling that the car is somewhat minimally quicker but it's probably in my head. who cares though? So if the unplugging causes no malfunctions I am inclined to leave it unplugged.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 11:13 AM   #46
bapow1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi sedan

Where's the solenoid sensor?

Quote:
I agree to disagree with you and concur with Scott. Didnt notice enough to warrant doing it.

Secondly, and this could be pure coincidence, but 3 days after I unplugged mine in the trunk I had an o2 sensor go bad. When I took it to get replaced, my SA showed me the tech sheet where the solenoid sensor malfunction was recorded over 200 times. Then the tech said that the closing of the butterfly isnt necessarily for sound restrictions, but has to do with backpressure as well. This helps the cats warm up properly and get to operating temps. He said when this is disabled, you run the risk of damaging your emissions equipment.

Now I dont know if that was a load of bunk, but with the amount of issues Im having with this car, I dont need to give it anymore pushes in that direction.
Makes sense about the cats warming up--the exhaust sounds the most agressive with the mod at cold startups. I'm not sure that this will cause damage to the emissions equipment--but it certainly will cause more emissions to be released while they are warming up.
      08-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #47
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

I wanted to try this, but after HyperM3's post, I'm worried.

I'd like to see if anyone else who has unplugged theirs finds any problems.

if nothing happens for a while, I'll try it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #48
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

I have had it for over a month ...no probs. That sounds like a lot of bull poooooo.
      08-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #49
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
I have had it for over a month ...no probs. That sounds like a lot of bull poooooo.
I wouldnt go that far as to say its bull poo, but I also did say my issue was probably a coincidence. Though, like I said, I dont need to add insult to injury by giving my car any other ways to crap on itself. I think the car sounds just fine stock. If I really wanted to hear the vroom vroom Ill pony up the cash for a legit exhaust.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:18 PM   #50
jbake
OG
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I've had the mod on my previous e46 for years and currently on my e90 with NO problems at all. I advise the ball bearing or pellet method. Disconnecting electrical equipment on a car as advanced as this is a no-no. No matter what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #51
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
I wouldnt go that far as to say its bull poo, but I also did say my issue was probably a coincidence. Though, like I said, I dont need to add insult to injury by giving my car any other ways to crap on itself. I think the car sounds just fine stock. If I really wanted to hear the vroom vroom Ill pony up the cash for a legit exhaust.
Just horsing. Your luck has been some what mysterious. I am eyeing the Borla. Had Borla on a Trans Am LS years ago. Like there stuff.
      08-30-2007, 01:25 PM   #52
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just horsing. I am eyeing the Borla. Had Borla on a Trans Am LS years ago. Like there stuff.
Thats the only exhaust I would consider at the moment(and really did). But I decided that new wheels and tires would be beneficial to me. Hence bringing up the topic of this thread.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #53
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
which method did you use: the unplugging or the golf tee?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #54
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
You Said "Vroom Vroom"...

I am certainly NOT going to say that the unplugging of the actuator is harmless, I dunno. But for the life of me I cannot imagine how a little flapper valve is going to either:

A: Get the cats hot faster.
B: Significantly increase back pressure, more importantly I mean how would an increase in back pressure heat a Cat Faster?

Regardless, it's important to note that we are tinkering with OEM stuff and while it seems harmless it could have some unknown effects.
      08-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #55
ShinBalNom
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 330i

I'm glad I took my time on this post to read it all the way through... After reading the first page, I was considering it. But after the 3rd page, Why risk it for such a small gain (more Vroom Vroom)?

Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly...

BBS CK 19" / Eibach Pro-Kit / Koni FSD / Blacklines / M-tech
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:59 PM   #56
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep

Garage List
Do aftermarket catbacks have a flapper valve? if not, then those running the catbacks should have a bunch of error codes recorded in the ECU, right? Or does the ECU only detect the unplugged actuator?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #57
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
Or does the ECU only detect the unplugged actuator?
ECU only records the unplugged actuator. This is because youre breaking the electrical current to that solenoid telling it that theres a problem with it, ergo storing a code. However, if you just plug up the line with the BB or pellet or whever, it doesnt see it as a break in current, probably doesnt even know if its open or not. Its the vacuum that closes and opens the valve.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:12 AM   #58
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinBalNom View Post
I'm glad I took my time on this post to read it all the way through... After reading the first page, I was considering it. But after the 3rd page, Why risk it for such a small gain (more Vroom Vroom)?
Give it shot on a cold start morning, preferably in a garage.

Start the car and listen for a few seconds. Then Shut it off and and unplug the wires shown in the first post. THEN start it up again, keeping in mind what it sounded like a second ago.

Enjoy the new growl... Is it worth some error codes that nobody is going to worry about most likely? I dunno you have to answer that for yourself. But it's worth listening to. The change though minor is very pleasant, all rorty and sounds heavenly in a parking garage etc.

Because we all know... (It's all about the VRoom VROOM)...
      08-31-2007, 10:16 AM   #59
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Because we all know... (It's all about the VRoom VROOM)...
This is going to be my legacy isnt it...
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 10:50 AM   #60
Don Juan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i, 2020 I3s Bev

Quote:
ECU only records the unplugged actuator. This is because youre breaking the electrical current to that solenoid telling it that theres a problem with it, ergo storing a code. However, if you just plug up the line with the BB or pellet or whever, it doesnt see it as a break in current, probably doesnt even know if its open or not. Its the vacuum that closes and opens the valve.
I agree with you... unplugging the hose will not give an error because the computer is still sending signals to the actuator to close the valve and when it gets the pressure (hose tied up, golf tee) it sends a message back saying its closed thus no computer logging.
Too mnay factors also contribute to the issues I think people are getting; for instance the weather and altitute...here in florida we wake up with chilly 79 degree morning nowdays ;-) which does not require your cats to warm up much.

Quote:
Revlis
I am certainly NOT going to say that the unplugging of the actuator is harmless, I dunno. But for the life of me I cannot imagine how a little flapper valve is going to either:

A: Get the cats hot faster.
B: Significantly increase back pressure, more importantly I mean how would an increase in back pressure heat a Cat Faster?

Regardless, it's important to note that we are tinkering with OEM stuff and while it seems harmless it could have some unknown effects.
The cats get warmer by increasing the backpressure (less hot exhaust leaving at one time) so the hot exhaust fumes stay a bit longer in the cats warming it up faster. easy analogy...on your barbecue grill, leave the cover close, half close and open..you will see how the fumes escape (faster and slower) and also determines how hot it gets there to cook your food.. :-)
2020 X7 MSport 40i
2020 I3s Bev
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2007, 11:15 AM   #61
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Cannot think of any other than having a bunch of codes for the dealer to sort through if you have an issue. I cannot imagine what other possible use the valve is other than sound.

I'm not too worried about it. I figure if you are really concerned about it, just play dumb while they replace your actuator. ME? I'll prolly just tell em, "I unplugged it cause it makes the VROOM VROOM Sound better"...

Cannot think of any other issues. Hope you all enjoyed the step by step pics.

It's a damned simple thing, but hearing folks tell you how easy and obvious it is is not as handy as a picture showing you that, "Yup, just that damn easy"...
Quote:
Quote:
This is going to be my legacy isnt it...
Potentially, but I was hoping it would be mine...
      08-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #62
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep

Garage List
Cold cats FTW!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #63
ik999
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f32 435xi

I tried this out.

and I didn't like it.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2007, 05:25 PM   #64
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Potentially, but I was hoping it would be mine...
Thats too funny. I totally didnt even see that you had said it first. Great minds!
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2007, 11:54 AM   #65
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Ok, for S&G's I put one of my airsoft BB's in that line to see if there was a difference between the methods. All I did was start it up(its about 75° so its not too cold and I had just driven about 5 miles so it wasnt technically a cold start) and I think it sounded a bit deeper than with just pulling the plug.

I havent driven it yet, just started it, so Ill report back my findings later on.

UPDATE: Ok, so after two days of driving around I can categorically say that the mod is louder when you plug the line as opposed to just disconnecting it in the trunk. That being said, the drone at 2-2300rpm is there and can be annoying at times. Revving at stop lights is more fun but under hard acceleration cant really tell much of a difference. Havent really seen any change in mpg either.
07 335i(gone)

Last edited by HyperM3; 09-04-2007 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #66
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
confirming the mod works, the exhaust is louder and throatier but confirmed with my tech and longtran's claim that the car will lose some hp at top end, but if that is not minded, this works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0