E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > How do remove CQaurtz Sealant?

02-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
How do remove CQaurtz Sealant?

What do you recommend I use to completely remove any sealants from my paint? Besides the clay bar.

I'll be doing some minor paint correction and want to ensure a perfectly clean and pure surface.

According to the CQuartz website, Iron-X doesn't remove the sealant.

Can I add an APC to my foam cannon? Or any other products to completely remove heavy sealants?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Just because I am picky and want to avoid future confusion, I want to first clarify some terminology... CQuartz is a ceramic nano coating. This is different than a traditional sealant. The 3 main categories of paint protection are waxes, sealants, and coatings. All 3 serve a similar purpose (providing protection from environmental contamination), but they are all very unique in terms of performance, application, etc., so it is important to properly differentiate between them.

-------------------------------

There is no chemical that will easily remove the coating. This is because when the coating is applied, the silica molecules form chemical bonds to one another in order to develop a crystalline structure on top of your paint (essentially a very thin layer of glass).

The only way to remove the coating layer is to use an abrasive, such as a compound or polish, and a machine. Since you're going to be doing some paint correction work, it seems this will fit nicely into your plan.

Proceed as follows:
- Thoroughly wash the exterior of the vehicle
- Decontaminate the paint using chemicals such as Iron X and TarX if needed, followed by detailing clay.
- Perform necessary test spots to determine the best process needed to correct the defects in your paint
- Carry out the paint correction process on entire car
- Apply new paint protection (if reapplying a coating, you will need to ensure all polishing oils/residue has been removed by wiping the paint thoroughly with a solvent like CarPro Eraser)

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
Just because I am picky and want to avoid future confusion, I want to first clarify some terminology... CQuartz is a ceramic nano coating. This is different than a traditional sealant. The 3 main categories of paint protection are waxes, sealants, and coatings. All 3 serve a similar purpose (providing protection from environmental contamination), but they are all very unique in terms of performance, application, etc., so it is important to properly differentiate between them.

-------------------------------

There is no chemical that will easily remove the coating. This is because when the coating is applied, the silica molecules form chemical bonds to one another in order to develop a crystalline structure on top of your paint (essentially a very thin layer of glass).

The only way to remove the coating layer is to use an abrasive, such as a compound or polish, and a machine. Since you're going to be doing some paint correction work, it seems this will fit nicely into your plan.

Proceed as follows:
- Thoroughly wash the exterior of the vehicle
- Decontaminate the paint using chemicals such as Iron X and TarX if needed, followed by detailing clay.
- Perform necessary test spots to determine the best process needed to correct the defects in your paint
- Carry out the paint correction process on entire car
- Apply new paint protection (if reapplying a coating, you will need to ensure all polishing oils/residue has been removed by wiping the paint thoroughly with a solvent like CarPro Eraser)

Let me know if you've got any other questions!

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Thanks for the reply. It makes more sense now. I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0