E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PROcede v5 New Features: Dynamic Meth Targets & Lean-run Protection

01-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Exclamation PROcede v5 New Features: Dynamic Meth Targets & Lean-run Protection

Thanks to all the great dyno and racing results we've received from customers using the v5 Aggressive maps, we are in no rush to tweak anything in terms of fuel/timing/boost mapping. So we've been focusing on ways to creep up closer to max power levels while still retaining the same sizable margin of safety. And also preparing ourselves for the big power levels we expect to make with single turbo systems. In this case, we've focused on transition between off-meth and on-meth operation. As well a fuel system monitoring now that we will be pushing it harder than ever. Both are very useful in big single turbos applications as well as with stock twins.

Dynamic Meth Targeting
Until now, Procede meth logic was relatively straight forward: You input a meth flow target in the Injection Mode user adjustable entry and when meth flow is greater than this value, it transitions completely to Map2 boost/timing/fuel values. And when meth flow is one half the value of the injection mode value, the Procede runs boost/timing/fuel values halfway between Map1 and Map2 settings. Works nicely and seamlessly. But definitely left some room for improvement.

In this case, instead of targeting one nominal flow value that you would expect to see at max meth flow (100% DC), this new feature targets a dynamic flow value based upon current meth injection DC. If that doesn't quite make sense, posted below is a datalog. In this 4th gear log, I varied the throttle position as you would while driving through a series of backroad corners. As you can see, boost pressure followed throttle input perfectly which is one of the more enjoyed characteristics of the Procede tune. Following boost pressure is meth injector DC. And following meth injector DC is, as you would expect, methanol flow.

But now there is a new channel (currently represented by Debug Byte 7) which shows Methanol Target. With previous firmware, you would effectively see a flat line equal to the value in your injection mode entry. Now, however, you see a variable Methanol Target which is calculated an algorithm which takes Injection Mode (flow @ 100% DC) and Meth injector DC%. When meth flow is greater than this value, the Procede will transition fully to the aggressive Map2 settings. The end result is the the tune transitions to aggressive boost/timing/fuel settings more readily (and more intelligently.) This also means that your meth flow indicator lights illuminate earlier. From the driver's seat, you will notice better torque response and even less of a discernible transition between pump and meth map settings. All this without sacrificing safety margin against detonation or failsafe functionality/response time.

Lean-Run Protection
We have had lean-run protection in the past but this one is fully adjustable so the user can set it up to his/her personal needs. Those making more power (single turbo for instance) can set this protection to trigger a valet mode more readily. There are three adjustable values that define the condition above at which the lean-run fault valet mode is triggered (RPM, Boost and Lambda):

This new n54 firmware should be released, in beta form, by the end of the week. Along with a new User Software Interface (v5.34) that has the new lean-run setting window. New maps will be released as well but they are functionally identical to the current Aggressive maps.

Cheers,
shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 01-17-2012 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

pretty excited to load it up..been a while since anything new has arrived, but i understand since the aggressive maps are so awesome.
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Very excited about the dynamic meth targeting.

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs

Last edited by EastBayE90; 01-17-2012 at 09:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Lean run FTW
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Shiv, were there any modifications required to your hardware or software to make it work for HPF's turbo kit?

How are you handling the Vacuum chambers?

The reason I ask is for future builds I have yet to see someone control a "normal" waste-gate and turbo. Thanks for your info and development!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
Shiv, were there any modifications required to your hardware or software to make it work for HPF's turbo kit?

How are you handling the Vacuum chambers?

The reason I ask is for future builds I have yet to see someone control a "normal" waste-gate and turbo. Thanks for your info and development!
There was some firmware changes required to control conventional pressure-actuated wastegates. Since the Procede's boost control is completely isolated from the DME, we have complete freedom to do whatever we want with the PID signal. With single turbo kits, the vacuum tanks are removed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisw335i View Post
pretty excited to load it up..been a while since anything new has arrived, but i understand since the aggressive maps are so awesome.
try having a N55
      01-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Fundahl
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
There was some firmware changes required to control conventional pressure-actuated wastegates. Since the Procede's boost control is completely isolated from the DME, we have complete freedom to do whatever we want with the PID signal. With single turbo kits, the vacuum tanks are removed.
Awesome! I'm really glad to hear this, seriously! I'm not so worried about the "real" turbo N54 market failing now.

Regarding fuel control, have you or are you close to being able to modify injection timing/duration and/or rail pressure? (high pressure side)

According to some DI engineer, the N54 system actually can flow quite a bit more fuel than what most think is the limit so far. I've seen it calculated out to 3000cc+ ranges per injector, but that is at 200Bar rail pressure.

These normally run around 80Bar?

Can't wait to see your kit under load! Once again, thank you for sharing and being responsive.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
werke-t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by (-(ellblazer420 View Post
Very excited about the dynamic meth targeting.
Im also extremely excited to see this!

my PWM kit just arrived in the mail

Shiv, or anyone that knows; Im running rev2 v5, planning on sending unit in for 2.5 upgrade, will this new dynamic meth targeting work with the 2.5 unit? or am I going to have to go full rev3?

Thanks,
Travis
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
335okc
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 335

sweet! i was starting to get bored lol.
while you're making changes, can you please add a shortcut for "connect" on the user tuning interface? f6 maybe ? i'd certainly appreciate this feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

This makes meth targets easier to hit, and in turn full Map 2 transitions. Old firmware used to have a hard limit that the flow meter would have to achieve before Map 2 values were used. eg, a certain volume was gauranteed to be spraying for Map 2. Does this not imply that youll need a higher meth concentration for the same knock supression at varible meth volume targets?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Sweet. I have noticed a slight hiccup when lifting the throttle, like when accelerating moderately then reducing throttle after the meth has started. I guess this will help that greatly. Also great for track guys who need smooth part throttle transitions.
      01-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I assume this is an update for pwm users and not for those with pps?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Does this work with 2.5 hardware?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #15
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yes this is intended for both rev2.5 and rev3 as they are essentially the same thing minus native USB and dedicated pwm meth I/O.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #16
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzu View Post
This makes meth targets easier to hit, and in turn full Map 2 transitions. Old firmware used to have a hard limit that the flow meter would have to achieve before Map 2 values were used. eg, a certain volume was gauranteed to be spraying for Map 2. Does this not imply that youll need a higher meth concentration for the same knock supression at varible meth volume targets?
Nope it does not. The Meth injector DC% value follows RPM and Engine load. So when they are low, the Procede only expects to see (and be happy with) a low meth flow late. And that is okay because the engine load/rpm is... low. So no problem with adopting the aggressive map2 boost/timing/fuel values in such conditions. And when load/rpm is high, the expected meth flow is high (due to the high Meth DC% value in the table) which satisfies the Procede as well.

End result is that the mapping transition occurs at an earlier load load point which improves partial throttle torque and engine response. There is also less need to run a lower-than-desired injection mode value to improve mapping transition speed. Which means that you can retain transition speed while NOT sacrificing failsafe response time.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:30 PM   #17
ruphianh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335XI

Quote:
Nope it does not. The Meth injector DC% value follows RPM and Engine load. So when they are low, the Procede only expects to see (and be happy with) a low meth flow late. And that is okay because the engine load/rpm is... low. So no problem with adopting the aggressive map2 boost/timing/fuel values in such conditions. And when load/rpm is high, the expected meth flow is high (due to the high Meth DC% value in the table) which satisfies the Procede as well.

End result is that the mapping transition occurs at an earlier load load point which improves partial throttle torque and engine response. There is also less need to run a lower-than-desired injection mode value to improve mapping transition speed. Which means that you can retain transition speed while NOT sacrificing failsafe response time.

Shiv
Shiv, this is awesome. I remember when I asked you why you have PWM when you only look for on/off meth. Now you are taking full advantage of the ability for your system to provide dynamic variable volume of the meth system. I believe this is something that no one else can do, as they can't dynamically control volume output of the pumps, correct? If so, congratulations.

Edit: I should say its not directly controlling output of the pumps, you are controlling output of the system since the pump is only on/off. Yes?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruphianh View Post
Shiv, this is awesome. I remember when I asked you why you have PWM when you only look for on/off meth. Now you are taking full advantage of the ability for your system to provide dynamic variable volume of the meth system. I believe this is something that no one else can do, as they can't dynamically control volume output of the pumps, correct? If so, congratulations.

Edit: I should say its not directly controlling output of the pumps, you are controlling output of the system since the pump is only on/off. Yes?
Yep, that is 100% correct
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #19
ruphianh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Slick. Very very slick.

Congratulations. You absolutely have complete control of the system like no one else.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #20
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I guess this would also mean that there would be less fuel trim correction by the DME since meth flow is now able to follow rpm/load more closely.

So overall better fuel targeting while on meth?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #21
ruphianh
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Today Shiv uploaded the dynamic meth targets and lean-run protection onto my car!

Power comes on earlier, stronger, and smoother. This thing totally hauls.

Let me say that the meth transition that was already near impossible to notice is now truly unnoticable. At all throttle positions the meth is seamless and works incredibly well. Boost comes on even earlier now.

We also faked the proceed to thinking the car was running lean and boom, the proceed cut throttle to the car and gave a lean run code.

Awesome work Shiv.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #22
chrisw335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Time to release Shiv!!!
2007 335i Coupe 6AT - Sports Package - Premium Package - Procede V5 Rev 2.5 - Vishnu PWM - Vishnu DCI - Vanguard Exhaust - AR Downpipes - Helix FMIC - 19" Avant Garde M6 Reps - Michelin Pilot Super Sports - Bilstein PSS10 - M3 Suspension Bits - M3 Sway - M3 Strut Brace - GP Thunder -Forge DV -15% Tint - Aero Lip
Appreciate 0