E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FASTA and the MSD8x....

03-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #23
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
What is direction injection?
A by-product of iPhone autocorrect
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post

From everything I can tell any guessing that FASTA logs max load and or boost is just that, pure speculation. .

Cheers,
Rob
\
It is true, im close with my SA and we had a conversation about it and it is infact true. He is chill with mods but BMWNA asked for FASTA data for replacing turbos and they flagged him after seeing max boost
      03-01-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

No data to prove otherwise, Cobb?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #26
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Rob- the MSS60 DME and the MSD80/81 share the same case and manufacturer. The board is going to be different since the MSS65 isn't direction injection. As noted in the sticky, this data came from an e90 m3. The contact who supplied this screenshot to me is working on doing the same test with the reflashed MSD80/81.

I recall just last year you suggesting that max data was stored in %-of-limit format and not in nominal value format. This collected data suggests otherwise. I have strong reason to believe that all current Siemens MS family DME's are similar in this respect. If you have similar screen shot data that suggest otherwise, it would be nice to see it.

Regards,
Shiv
It stands that you have no evidence to your claims, same ECU or not. Guessing or "strong reason" or speculation by definition is not fact. Please stop spreading rumor.

Can we spare the spin tactic for now? I'm not in the mood.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
No data to prove otherwise, Cobb?
I have nothing to prove.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #28
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPWINCH View Post
\
It is true, im close with my SA and we had a conversation about it and it is infact true. He is chill with mods but BMWNA asked for FASTA data for replacing turbos and they flagged him after seeing max boost
Same situation with one of our customers who used to run a flash. He programmed his DME back to his original file, dropped off his car at the dealership to get a noisy rear turbo replaced under warranty. Two days later, the dealership informed him that BMW AG refused the claim due to the fact the car was tuned. His car was also flagged and effectively loss his powertrain warranty. He tried to get a print out of the incriminating evidence from the dealership but failed. So I don't think we are talking about the same person.

Again, no one is suggesting that this is common occurrence. But to say that it can't happen is just misplaced optimism, IMHO. It's really up to the dealership to see how far they want to investigate. I suspect most dealerships don't want to alienate their clients and try to get things approved without raising any eyebrows from the mothership.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #29
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have nothing to prove.

Cheers,
Rob

I'm sure your future customers would love to hear your side of the story and data to put them at ease. I often get the question a lot about "can the dealer see a Cobb" and I can only assume the information I'm given is just and true, just like many other vendors. However, I know a lot of us would rather not stick our foot in our mouths on things like that.

What Vishnu may claim may very well be rumors or hearsay but the question still remains to many people today is can you genuinely prove otherwise for the good of the community and your tune?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #30
ATP
Banned
Rep
Drives: SRT, 335

Quote:
I have nothing to prove.

Cheers,
Rob
While I generally agree, it would be cool if you had some screen shots to better explain. If not, hopefully Vasillalov can post some for us all.

At the very least, thanks for chiming in!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
onesuperboi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335i COBB 4.01 Stage 1

Quote:

I'm sure your future customers would love to hear your side of the story and data to put them at ease. I often get the question a lot about "can the dealer see a Cobb" and I can only assume the information I'm given is just and true, just like many other vendors. However, I know a lot of us would rather not stick our foot in our mouths on things like that.

What Vishnu may claim may very well be rumors or hearsay but the question still remains to many people today is can you genuinely prove otherwise for the good of the community and your tune?
Shiv brought this up in the first place to challenge the fact that flash tunes are undetectable. There shouldn't be a sticky on a subject that isn't conclusive. All that is asked is more evidence and not hearsay. Hell, Vas's injector coding should be a sticky since it can be proven and done.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Cobb, please do not fall into a tuner debate. Exit. Exit noooow.
      03-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

I, for one, would like to know exactly why shiv's post was not only stickied, but locked to prevent any discussion? And what's up with all the deleted posts?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
By the way, a DME running a piggyback doesn't result in any of the things you claim in the quote above. I'm not sure you understand how they work judging by your statement.
Care to explain why you believe FASTA does not record over revs with a piggy? As long as the rev limiter is raised using a piggy, why wouldn't FASTA see that? Is it because the piggy "lies" to the DME in order to raise that limit?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #35
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Care to explain why you believe FASTA does not record over revs with a piggy? As long as the rev limiter is raised using a piggy, why wouldn't FASTA see that? Is it because the piggy "lies" to the DME in order to raise that limit?
A piggyback doesn't raise the rev limiter.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
I, for one, would like to know exactly why shiv's post was not only stickied, but locked to prevent any discussion? And what's up with all the deleted posts?
Im sure you know why
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #37
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Im sure you know why
I'm am all for merging the two thread and keeping it open. Perhaps a moderator could make this happen?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
A piggyback doesn't raise the rev limiter.
Speed delimiter, my fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #39
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
Im sure you know why
I'd just like to see someone at bimmerpost/mod to "man up" and say something
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 07:57 PM   #40
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Quote:

Quote:
Threads seem to close before I get around to replying, so I figured I would open my own thread on FASTA.

From the sticky post I see over-rev data being collected from a S65 containing a very different ECU from the MSD8x. Different from the PCB to the case. Missing is load or pressure from the screen shot. Completely inconclusive data saying a tune can be detected.

From everything I can tell any guessing that FASTA logs max load and or boost is just that, pure speculation. I would love to see hard data that FASTA in fact logs boost or load. It would be nice to see the sticky with inconclusive guessing removed as it is being portrayed as fact BMW can detect when a tune has been on the car via FASTA data.

As a side note, we can clear FASTA data and control when it's tripped.

Cheers,
Rob
I bolded the portion that you may have missed. Your customers are all safe!
      03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #41
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'm am all for merging the two thread and keeping it open. Perhaps a moderator could make this happen?
Nice to hear. The real question is why the heck it was closed and stickied in the first place before any real discussion happened.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #42
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesuperboi View Post
Shiv brought this up in the first place to challenge the fact that flash tunes are undetectable. There shouldn't be a sticky on a subject that isn't conclusive. All that is asked is more evidence and not hearsay. Hell, Vas's injector coding should be a sticky since it can be proven and done.
Not sure that is the point, as nothing has been disproved or proved. Wouldn't you guys like to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
I bolded the portion that you may have missed. Your customers are all safe!
Wait wait wait... so because Rob said its safe, now its safe but provided nothing but his words.

Right...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:12 PM   #43
ATP
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Not sure that is the point, as nothing has been disproved or proved. Wouldn't you guys like to know?

Wait wait wait... so because Rob said its safe, now its safe but provided nothing but his words.

Right...
Exactly, it shouldn't be a sticky at all until there is proof. Shiv didn't post PROOF either, he posted a theory based on data and made some assumptions. Apparently Shiv's word is enough for the mods to delete posts, lock, and sticky the thread. If they can take his word for it, why not take Rob's?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #44
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATP View Post
Exactly, it shouldn't be a sticky at all until there is proof. Shiv didn't post PROOF either, he posted a theory based on data and made some assumptions. Apparently Shiv's word is enough for the mods to delete posts, lock, and sticky the thread. If they can take his word for it, why not take Rob's?
Yes, but lets move forward. Is this really the logic being used by posters today? Lets just take everyones word for it?

If I tell you I can turn poop into gold are you all going to believe me?
Appreciate 0