E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > FASTA and the MSD8x....

03-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #45
zerep1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i E90, 328i F30, 230i G42,

Top speed will be recorded but I'm not sure they can void anything unless you you go past 155 and even then it's one of those things they must really hate you to void all your warranty for that on everything else piggys lie to dme on everything else so everything recorded should be with in spec on that aspect again. at this point it is not common for BMW to ask for information on these cars for turbos, hpfp injectors, waterpumps and vanos replacement now if u blow a headgastket fry a piston or blow a tranny be ready to get scrutinized

Irub
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #46
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

i just want to know definitely....one way or the other. doesn't matter to me....as i have both tunes and don't plan on getting rid of either one.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #47
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Yes, but lets move forward. Is this really the logic being used by posters today? Lets just take everyones word for it?

If I tell you I can turn poop into gold are you all going to believe me?
Man, I don't know...

but if you had a way of turning pump gas into race gas by adding water or something, I would call you a genie.
      03-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #48
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
i just want to know definitely....one way or the other. doesn't matter to me....as i have both tunes and don't plan on getting rid of either one.
+1 all this politics/tuner wars are only hurting the consumer...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #49
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1
I, for one, would like to know exactly why shiv's post was not only stickied, but locked to prevent any discussion? And what's up with all the deleted posts?
Nothing new here rader..everything will be deleted again..it gets old..every real discussion is moderated...what's the point of the turbo section?
      03-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #50
ATP
Banned
Rep
Drives: SRT, 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Yes, but lets move forward. Is this really the logic being used by posters today? Lets just take everyones word for it?

If I tell you I can turn poop into gold are you all going to believe me?
Depends how many sheep are on this forum. I don't like it either, just seems that a precedent has been set.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #51
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
Man, I don't know...

but if you had a way of turning pump gas into race gas by adding water or something, I would call you a genie.
Hmm, now your onto something.

"Hey Guyz, I know how to turn water into race gas, believe me".

In all seriousness, the reason I'm in here is to genuinely know, whichever way the see saw falls doesn't bother me. In actuality I dont think it matters to 99% of people as I feel BMW would really have to WANT to go out of their way to find evidence. At that point I'm sure they can find something on nearly all our cars, rendering all our warranties voided, even if we are stock!

I hope you guys can understand that I'm sincere here and that I'm trying to play "moderator" here as I have no dog in the fight.

I got a stack of Cobb's worth thousands sitting right next to me.

You will see me from time time mention how I it's a shame we cant have more proper discussions in this forum without the bickering and drama.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #52
Q4P
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Much

My opinion on this is that I highly doubt BMW would even look into this info unless a complete engine failure has happened. At that point, they would try to even void a stock car because no company is down for paying $18K for a new motor for anyone. If its not a PUMA case or if it's simply warranty work, I doubt that it would make any difference.
      03-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #53
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4P View Post
Man, I don't know...

Hmm, now your onto something.

"Hey Guyz, I know how to turn water into race gas, believe me".

In all seriousness, the reason I'm in here is to genuinely know, whichever way the see saw falls doesn't bother me. In actuality I dont think it matters to 99% of people as I feel BMW would really have to WANT to go out of their way to find evidence. At that point I'm sure they can find something on nearly all our cars, rendering all our warranties voided, even we are stock!
Your right about them "probabaly" knowing about a lot more information than we seem to know..I like the stance you take in most if not all disussions Jeff...btw i really respect your demeanor on the forums and how you carry yourself unbias especially with your affiliations as a vendor..

But you do have to admit that there was no real reason to have Shivs post stickied, locked on the N54 turbo section?? If anything he should post it in then M3 forums...I do agree that Yes it is great information for N54 users to be aware about but should it really be a sticky in THIS forum? Nah not really...especially with no proof in regards to the MSD80/81..

The way it was worded could easily hurt users (sheep) and sway them away from a flash tune...when in fact both sides have great options to offer!
      03-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #54
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

We have enough dealer employees around here, just keep the thread open awhile and one of them is bound to weigh in....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #55
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
By the way, a DME running a piggyback doesn't result in any of the things you claim in the quote above. I'm not sure you understand how they work judging by your statement.
Oh really?

So please, enlighten my feeble mind: What does the DME see and record when a Procede tuned car reaches 190 mph?

BTW, this is from your own forum:
http://vishnutuningforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10
      03-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #56
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Oh really?

So please, enlighten my feeble mind: What does the DME see and record when a Procede tuned car reaches 190 mph?

BTW, this is from your own forum:
http://vishnutuningforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10
If the speed delimiter is turned on (the default setting is OFF), the DME actually only sees up to the frequency clamp which is set at 120mph. Still, for those who want to take no chances with the mothership, we clearly recommend leaving this feature off as it is possible (but unlikely) that the DME records data from the stability control module that reads the raw un-modified wheel speed signals.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #57
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
If the speed delimiter is turned on (the default setting is OFF), the DME actually only sees up to the frequency clamp which is set at 120mph. Still, for those who want to take no chances with the mothership, we clearly recommend leaving this feature off.

Shiv
Ok, so let me make sure I understand this correctly... Proceed will lie to the DME about the actual vehicle speed by skewing the output of the VSS, correct?

What about the rpms? Wouldn't 190 mph result in rpms above the threshold?
      03-01-2012, 08:56 PM   #58
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Robb,
Clearly rpm is recorded, so you cant deny that your tune will be undetectable because bmw can clearly see 7200rpm when the stock maximum is 7000.
Saying you can clear FASTA data is total bull, you simply cannot.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #59
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov
Quote:
If the speed delimiter is turned on (the default setting is OFF), the DME actually only sees up to the frequency clamp which is set at 120mph. Still, for those who want to take no chances with the mothership, we clearly recommend leaving this feature off.

Shiv
Ok, so let me make sure I understand this correctly... Proceed will lie to the DME about the actual vehicle speed by skewing the output of the VSS, correct?

Shiv clearly said sld is risky, do it at your own risk. He isnt sure if fasta can see it so thats why its turned off by default.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #60
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:

The DME gets the rear right wheel speed sensor input which it uses to limit speed (i.e., close the throttle). The Procede modifies that input signal (with the delimiter feature enabled) to keep the freq signal from climbing beyond its limit value. So vMax data *should* stay within spec. I will not suggest that doing so is completely without risk as far as FASTA data is concerned. It is possible, but unlikely, that it records raw wheel speed signal from the stability control module which is not signal modified.

And no, 190mph doesn't result in an over-rev (if that is what you mean about being "above threshold").

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:03 PM   #61
iDrivino
Private
Rep
Drives: 535xiT

Quote:

I don't understand why you insist the Procede (or any other piggyback) "lies" to the DME. You seem to think only a flash doesn't "lie" as you put it, but what you fail to realize is a flash is just hardcoded "lies."
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #62
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerWagen
Quote:

I don't understand why you insist the Procede (or any other piggyback) "lies" to the DME. You seem to think only a flash doesn't "lie" as you put it, but what you fail to realize is a flash is just hardcoded "lies."
That makes absolutely no sense. Please learn what a piggyback is and how it works and then youll understand.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #63
ATP
Banned
Rep
Drives: SRT, 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Robb,
Clearly rpm is recorded, so you cant deny that your tune will be undetectable because bmw can clearly see 7200rpm when the stock maximum is 7000.
Got some wild accusations being thrown around here. Got proof? No one has posted anything showing proof, care the be the first? When you post screen shots showing that the MSD8X records RPM I'll believe your first statement. Just because the M3 DME records it doesn't prove anything. How do you intend to back up you statement calling Rob a liar? You have inside knowledge as to what Cobb can and cannot do? Doubt it. Leave your accusations for another thread, we are trying to have a decent discussion.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #64
C.Shopp335xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90 M-sport

*****DERAIL FOR A SECOND*****

I ran out of beer an hour ago, but I can't stop reading this. Thank goodness I don't have to work tomorrow!
      03-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #65
iDrivino
Private
Rep
Drives: 535xiT

Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense. Please learn what a piggyback is and how it works and then youll understand.
I think you misunderstand...my point is all tunes "lie" as he puts it, flashes included. Why vasillov continually pokes at piggybacks as the only ones is beyond me?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #66
pHo_e92
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.26]
2000 BMW 323i  [6.00]
1997 Honda Civic HB  [10.00]
2007 BMW X5 4.8  [10.00]
Quote:
Robb,
WOW my man sorry but your accusations are way off topic and for that i present you with this picture. thank you for your contribution
Attached Images

| COBB | Injen DCI | Active Autowerke | Sonic Tuning | E92 Lighting | ER | HKS | BMS | Ground Control | Vortex Tuning |
Appreciate 0